2014 Calgary Marathon Turns 50

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: 2014 Calgary Marathon Turns 50

Postby Hammie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Some of the race photos are already up! All of the ones from the homestretch and the finish line are available, but none of the ones from earlier on the course are there yet. I look like someone who just ran 50k in mine :lol: , but at least I look pretty happy about it!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Congrats to everyone racing yesterday and a very fine effort by all. Well done!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Hammie wrote:Some of the race photos are already up! All of the ones from the homestretch and the finish line are available, but none of the ones from earlier on the course are there yet. I look like someone who just ran 50k in mine :lol: , but at least I look pretty happy about it!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:59 pm

And then there's this one, which I'm entitling "while I am happy to see you, its a package of Clif Shots"

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm

hahahahaha
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:03 pm

That's hilarious!

I like the picture of the two of us - my number is visible, so I wonder why it didn't show up on mine?

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Mine have an ugly man in them who is nearer than me.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:56 pm

I was looking half decent in this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:20 pm

That's a great one with the tower in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Image cut the ugly man out

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:03 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Hammie wrote:Some of the race photos are already up! All of the ones from the homestretch and the finish line are available, but none of the ones from earlier on the course are there yet. I look like someone who just ran 50k in mine :lol: , but at least I look pretty happy about it!

I showed this picture to my kids and they're all worried about the woman at the far right and why she's crying

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm

lots of great pictures - you all make it look easy!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Looks like a great time had by all - love the pictures, especially the one right above this post :)
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 am

Great pic! :D You are awesome ladies!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:20 am

Love the photos, everyone! :D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 am

Any further indications if they plan to keep the 50k for next year, on the agenda??? :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:42 am

ian wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:according to the CBC this morning, they're looking at making the 50k more permanent because of the incredible positive reaction.

I saw that. Three points that come to mind:
(1) This year's field of 500 for the 50K actually exceeds that of any other non-Calgary marathon for the last several years.
(2) I see that the pre-race favorite (Adam Campbell) plans to run this thing in a superhero costume as part of a charity fundraiser. That could make for some good media coverage.
(3) I figure that a majority of the entrants in the 50K are doing the distance for the first time and aren't about to make it an annual tradition.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 pm

HCcD wrote:Any further indications if they plan to keep the 50k for next year, on the agenda??? :shifty:

I was at the 1:00 "mandatory" briefing and a quick tangent, the race director suggested she was surprised by how many turned out for the "mandatory" briefing and that they would all come just before 1:00 to also pick up their bibs and so many people were still in line when she started. They then held a second one shortly after.

I was my impression that they were not sure 250 would sign up or the original field size. They expanded it to 500 and again, they had originally thought a unique idea but still a one time only. However, since it sold out so quickly and there seems to be this untapped demand for people to separate themselves for the common marathoners, I suspect that another 50 K race will be held next year. I saw a lot of grey hair and marathon jackets and shirts, especially Boston and so a road 50 K marathon is something unique and a new bucket list thing to do. And what other marathon offers that option? The beer garden was full and long line ups and so Wildrose brewery or another such company get talked into sponsoring that event. Facebook, twitter, etc all provided some good pr.

The start was crowded and I had thought there was only 2,500 half marathoners and normally there would only be around 800 marathoners but this year, over 4,200 and 1,600 respectively so what is another 500 compared to that. The first couple of kilometers was a little crowded but by the time the ultra and full broke off at 9 K, I found a good pace and I was near the back. Two porta potties per aid station is not going to cut it and there was one aid station early with none but there were bushes. :wink:

The route followed the marathon route and so a few more traffic cones, a few more signs and a few more volunteers would add almost no extra effort or cost to run the event. The 50 K had two different turn around points from marathon and next year it sounds like if they ran it again, there would just be the one. They added an extra water only and smaller aid station but it was probably required in any event.

Add in the start time of the 5 K race and the number of people who walked that plus the very strict deadline to reach 36.6 K that meant one had to have an average pace of 7:22 per kilometer to make and yet to run 50 K in 6.5 hours that pace is 7:48 per kilometer, there would have been no extended or extra closures.

If they can get a sponsor I believe the only question will be how many 50 K runners can they accommodate and not if there will be a race. Calgary will be hosting the half marathon championships 2015 - 2018 and so a 50 K race may just add an extra element and exposure. About three years ago there were 8,000 runners and this year over 15,000 and they are very proud of the fact this race in the fastest growing major events in Canada and so if one can get another 500 runners with no real extra hassle, I would bet the farm on that race happening next year.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm actually pleased with my race photos - I usually hate them!

Me in the home stretch with both feet off the ground!

And looking ridiculously pleased to be finished

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Hammie wrote:I'm actually pleased with my race photos - I usually hate them!

Me in the home stretch with both feet off the ground!

And looking ridiculously pleased to be finished

Good race and good photo. I have a nice smile but I cannot crop out the lady in the background that has the most sour face I have ever seen.

bunsontherun
Bill Crothers

Postby bunsontherun » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:37 pm

Dstew wrote:
HCcD wrote:Any further indications if they plan to keep the 50k for next year, on the agenda??? :shifty:

I was at the 1:00 "mandatory" briefing and a quick tangent, the race director suggested she was surprised by how many turned out for the "mandatory" briefing and that they would all come just before 1:00 to also pick up their bibs and so many people were still in line when she started. They then held a second one shortly after.

I was my impression that they were not sure 250 would sign up or the original field size. They expanded it to 500 and again, they had originally thought a unique idea but still a one time only. However, since it sold out so quickly and there seems to be this untapped demand for people to separate themselves for the common marathoners, I suspect that another 50 K race will be held next year. I saw a lot of grey hair and marathon jackets and shirts, especially Boston and so a road 50 K marathon is something unique and a new bucket list thing to do. And what other marathon offers that option? The beer garden was full and long line ups and so Wildrose brewery or another such company get talked into sponsoring that event. Facebook, twitter, etc all provided some good pr.

The start was crowded and I had thought there was only 2,500 half marathoners and normally there would only be around 800 marathoners but this year, over 4,200 and 1,600 respectively so what is another 500 compared to that. The first couple of kilometers was a little crowded but by the time the ultra and full broke off at 9 K, I found a good pace and I was near the back. Two porta potties per aid station is not going to cut it and there was one aid station early with none but there were bushes. :wink:

The route followed the marathon route and so a few more traffic cones, a few more signs and a few more volunteers would add almost no extra effort or cost to run the event. The 50 K had two different turn around points from marathon and next year it sounds like if they ran it again, there would just be the one. They added an extra water only and smaller aid station but it was probably required in any event.

Add in the start time of the 5 K race and the number of people who walked that plus the very strict deadline to reach 36.6 K that meant one had to have an average pace of 7:22 per kilometer to make and yet to run 50 K in 6.5 hours that pace is 7:48 per kilometer, there would have been no extended or extra closures.

If they can get a sponsor I believe the only question will be how many 50 K runners can they accommodate and not if there will be a race. Calgary will be hosting the half marathon championships 2015 - 2018 and so a 50 K race may just add an extra element and exposure. About three years ago there were 8,000 runners and this year over 15,000 and they are very proud of the fact this race in the fastest growing major events in Canada and so if one can get another 500 runners with no real extra hassle, I would bet the farm on that race happening next year.

I think they need to tweek the start times a bit though. The start was very crowded and there were several pinch and narrow points on the course where the Ultra, Marathoners and Halfathoners were just too close together. Hard to get a nice stride going when there is a constant watch to make sure you don't step on someone's heel or trying to avoid elbows. I would recommend that the Ultra's and Marathoner's start at 0700 and the Halfathon's at 0730.
Professional Hugger.

Next Up: Other races!!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:41 pm

great photos, Hammie!!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:04 am

bunsontherun wrote:
Dstew wrote:

I think they need to tweek the start times a bit though. The start was very crowded and there were several pinch and narrow points on the course where the Ultra, Marathoners and Halfathoners were just too close together. Hard to get a nice stride going when there is a constant watch to make sure you don't step on someone's heel or trying to avoid elbows. I would recommend that the Ultra's and Marathoner's start at 0700 and the Halfathon's at 0730.

For the 50 K race I was not bothered by the crowds as it made sure I could not go out too fast but I was also thinking that if I wanted to run get into an early groove what a pain that could be. It was a struggle just to find the pace bunny and I never find the one I wanted to run with. The first bridge over the bow and by the Zoo was pinched and when I crossed, it was actually rocking but I agree there were other places.

Move the half to 7:30 now that there are almost 4,500 of them and the 10 K to 8:00. One reason they may do that is that for the next couple of years, Calgary is the 21.1 K championship and therefore I am going to guess that will be run on Saturday and thus any really fast half worried about running into the back of the marathon can run in the Championship. And I think the marathon will spread out rather quickly and thus the very fast half marathoners should not be slowed down.

If memory serves, they had separate start times back in 06?

The other issue, two porta potties for that many runners is not going to cut it.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 am

Dstew wrote:

The other issue, two porta potties for that many runners is not going to cut it.

I only peed once during the race, behind a fence on 5th Street with about 11 other runners. There was a construction portapotty just before the hill (30th ave) that got a lot of use as well. But seriously, there wasn't a single portapotty I passed that wasn't lined up.

Return to “General Running Discussion”