2014 Calgary Marathon Turns 50

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

2014 Calgary Marathon Turns 50

Postby HCcD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am

Hey, this sounds intriguing in the 50th Anniversary of the Calgary Marathon in 2014, offering up a one-time 50K Ultra ... :shock: :P

The Calgary Marathon is turning 50 and throwing itself a big birthday party.

The 2014 race will have five distinct music-themed stages to mimic passing through the major decades from the event’s past. Organizers of the event are encouraging runners to dress up as a runner from the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s and today. A panel of five onsite judges will be evaluating runners as they cross the finish line, and crowning the five best decades of the marathon.

A special, one-time 50K ultra will also be held to celebrate the anniversary of the marathon. Celebrity ultrarunner Dean Karnazes will be the race weekend keynote speaker. He’ll also lead out the 50K race, which is limited to just 300 spots. Finishers will receive a beer stein and belt buckle. Registration for this exclusive event is now open.

The post-race party will feature live entertainment, a beer garden and food trucks. There will also be a bouncy castle, entertainers and play area for the kids.

The 50th Calgary Marathon takes place June 1, 2014.

http://runningmagazine.ca/50th-anniversary-calgary-marathon-adds-50k/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: 2014 Calgary Marathon Turns 50

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:00 pm

I'd rather stab my own eyes out than do a road ultra - I'm assuming its the 42.2 with an extra 8k out and back somewhere (Memorial?). Also, "*50K criteria: runners must have completed one marathon under 4.5 hours in the last 18 months."

I'm seriously tempted for the 42.2, I need a new belt buckle.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 pm

And, being on June 1st, no longer conflicting with Ottawa Race Weekend in 2014 ... :shifty: :P

And, yes, also would like another race buckle ... :P

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:31 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I'd rather stab my own eyes out than do a road ultra - I'm assuming its the 42.2 with an extra 8k out and back somewhere (Memorial?). Also, "*50K criteria: runners must have completed one marathon under 4.5 hours in the last 18 months."

I think I'll do it too. The road ultra holds no appeal to me either, but for some reason 42.2 sounds much more reasonable than 50 :lol: .
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm hoping to be healthy enough to run this one next year. In most recent years, Calgary has overlapped with Saskatoon and the latter (the week before Calgary next year) tends to be the better event.

As for 50K on pavement, the last time I did that, I got an invitation to represent Canada at a commonwealth ultra championship race, so I can see the appeal of a "fast ultra" for some.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

ian wrote:I'm hoping to be healthy enough to run this one next year. In most recent years, Calgary has overlapped with Saskatoon and the latter (the week before Calgary next year) tends to be the better event.
What makes you like our little race better than Calgary?

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
ian wrote:I'm hoping to be healthy enough to run this one next year. In most recent years, Calgary has overlapped with Saskatoon and the latter (the week before Calgary next year) tends to be the better event.
What makes you like our little race better than Calgary?

Slightly better expo, course, logistics, volunteers, and no RR involvement. I wouldn't call it a "great race" (like, say, Victoria, Red Deer, or QCM [in spite of RR]), but it's solid. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from Calgary, especially after they pushed a couple good races off the calendar when they moved away from Stampede week in 2009.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I was actually looking at this race earlier this week and considering this as an option. The cost of this race is much cheaper than BMO a month earlier. :think:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

This is good news. I might be able to do a back to back to back. Red Deer then Saskatoon then Calgary. :D
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:34 pm

barebuns1 wrote:This is good news. I might be able to do a back to back to back. Red Deer then Saskatoon then Calgary. :D

That's the rough plan for my friend and me. Throw in St. Albert at the beginning of May and the "other" Regina marathon in April and you can get 5 races in 7 weeks all within driving distance. [cue thunderbolt striking me down]

mccully
Johnny Miles

Postby mccully » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 pm

I turn 30 right around this event. I'll probably do the half marathon (although I REALLY want to do the full...but I'm not convinced that my knee will heal up quickly enough to do it).
2014- the year of the comeback (I hope!)
May 3- Tri-Diva-Tri
June- Turning 30!

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:36 am

ian wrote:That's the rough plan for my friend and me.
Doesn't Brandon get tired of winning SK marathons? Crushed the field by over 10 minutes at QCM.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:06 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:
ian wrote:That's the rough plan for my friend and me.
Doesn't Brandon get tired of winning SK marathons? Crushed the field by over 10 minutes at QCM.

The drives can get tedious (especially if we also do the Gopher in April) but I think he feels a bit of an obligation to go, both as the defending champion and a Brainsport ambassador.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:47 am

ian wrote:The drives can get tedious (especially if we also do the Gopher in April) but I think he feels a bit of an obligation to go, both as the defending champion and a Brainsport ambassador.
What's the Brainsport connection? Brian doesn't have a satellite store in Alberta now does he?

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
ian wrote:The drives can get tedious (especially if we also do the Gopher in April) but I think he feels a bit of an obligation to go, both as the defending champion and a Brainsport ambassador.
What's the Brainsport connection? Brian doesn't have a satellite store in Alberta now does he?

No other stores. Brendan and Brian are really good friends (having run parts of many of these races side by side) and Brian has allotted a New Balance sponsorship to Brendan: in exchange for some free shoes, Brendan races in the store singlet.

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:18 am

Looks like fun! I have no hope in hell of running a marathon, so I'll maybe throw myself into the 10k. At least that will justify what I will surely devour at the food trucks. I'll go anywhere for food trucks. :lol:
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Hammie wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I'd rather stab my own eyes out than do a road ultra - I'm assuming its the 42.2 with an extra 8k out and back somewhere (Memorial?). Also, "*50K criteria: runners must have completed one marathon under 4.5 hours in the last 18 months."

I think I'll do it too. The road ultra holds no appeal to me either, but for some reason 42.2 sounds much more reasonable than 50 :lol: .

I lied. I'm actually thinking about the 50k now. I wish they had posted the route, but it will be mostly the marathon route anyway.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:40 am

Hammie wrote:
Hammie wrote:

I lied. I'm actually thinking about the 50k now. I wish they had posted the route, but it will be mostly the marathon route anyway.

Signed up for the 50 K. I think you are right about it being mostly on the marathon course as there is a suggestion there will be a cut off point where if you have not reached it within the prescribed time that they will take your ultra bib away and you will run in the marathon. Given that and last year's course, the timing point is going to be around the 20 K mark or Mt Royal University and they will have a 8 K loop that extends further west and then rejoins the regular marathon route.

Before the 50 K opened, there were about 250 people who registered and now there is around 350. I registered day one as I thought there would sell out as I also understand only 300 spots but maybe the old ultra saying is you have to be crazy to run a marathon but it takes a special kind of crazy to do an ultra.

As a side note for discussion, a road 50 K with all of the aid stations etc kinda of , sort of sounds like ultra lite to me and I have signed up. 50 K seems to impress the hell out of people but I think a road 50 K is easier than a marathon. With a marathon there seems to be the unwritten but acknowledged rules of what a decent time to run a marathon is and thus speed work, etc are required. But run that 7.8 K further and everyone seems to agree that to finish within the prescribed time that in turn works out to be a 7:47 per kilometer pace. 99% of the people are not going to say that is a slow time but cool, you ran 50 K. But the same pace with a marathon and you are likely to get condescending, finishing is an accomplish on its own and so good for you as they pat you on the head. Hell, that happened to me when I ran a 3:17 marathon and was asked to compare that the winning time and I got, finishing is still good as well with a little pity in their eyes. In other words, jog a marathon and there seems to be an attitude of you finished, good for you but who hasn't run a marathon but do the same for 50 k and a totally different attitude. I suppose I find it interesting I told people I signed up for the Calgary marathon last year and yawn, shrug shoulders and tell the same people I signed up to run 50 K and they get excited as if I have signed up to go to space.

Here are the conditions:

*Have you completed one marathon in the last 18 months in under 4.5 hours?:
*Are you able to complete the 50k ultra marathon in less than 6.5 hours?:
*Are you able to attend a mandatory ultra-marathon briefing on Saturday May 31 at Package Pick-up?:

Note: Runners who aren’t at the 50K turnaround by the cut off time will be asked to join the marathoners and be stripped of their ultra bib as there is a 6.5 hour cut off for this race.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 am

It's so tempting to register for the 50K Ultra event ... in particular, that it would the first and only time that this distance/event would be available ... sorta-kinda like the appeal of this ...

Such the case, any good recommendations for hotels near the start/finish line, with "affordable" being the key word here ?? :shifty: Thanks ... :P

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:45 am

HCcD wrote:It's so tempting to register for the 50K Ultra event ... in particular, that it would the first and only time that this distance/event would be available ... sorta-kinda like the appeal of this ...

Such the case, any good recommendations for hotels near the start/finish line, with "affordable" being the key word here ?? :shifty: Thanks ... :P

No.

The hotel arts is a funky kind of hotel and thought it would be a lot more expensive then it was and is as close to the start/finish as there is - about 11 blocks or so.

The Days Inn is not a bad warm up but does involve one small hill or a quick three block walk to the station and literally one or two stops and you are at the Stampede grounds. It is in the south. There are your standards chains to the south, Best Western and Holiday Inn and a Marriot downtown and against close to transit.

If you sign up for the 50 K you have to attend a briefing on Saturday. I have no idea why unless to add some excitement they will have us run through the bear enclosure at the Calgary zoo to give it a trial feel?

But the good news is that the start/finish and expo are all at the Stampede grounds so there are quite a few hotels both north and south that are within walking distance of the LRT - light rail transit.

This should give you a start. The grandstand on the map on the Stampede grounds is the finish. The Big Four where the expo will be is on the other side of 3rd Street and on the Stampede ground and the start is on third street next to the grandstand.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=hotels+ca ... 32093&z=14

For super cheap, "motel village" around 16th Avenue NW and Crowchild trail. It is very close to transit as well and so not a bad option if you do not mind what I believe would be a 20 - 30 minute train ride. I think it is free to anyone with a bib or had been.

In the old days, the race was during the Stampede and started and finished downtown. So I finish the marathon, drenched with sweat and gatorade, etc and squeeze onto a train full of Stampede goers who are now attempting to give me some space. Someone even gave up their seat and in my fatigued state, took it. When I left I felt terrible as the next person sat down and I heard an "ohhh, why is the seat so wet". With the June date, there is not much going on so cheaper hotels and empty transit.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 am

Hmmm .. if Habs won't/can't come to Ottawa, perhaps she could make it to Calgary ??? :shifty: :P :wink: :dance: :dance:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 am

HCcD wrote:Hmmm .. if Habs won't/can't come to Ottawa, perhaps she could make it to Calgary ??? :shifty: :P :wink: :dance: :dance:

Calgary is much closer than Ottawa. :wink:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 pm

So when you run through the 70s themed music part of the course will The Stampeders be playing "Sweet City Woman" over and over? :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 pm

La wrote:So when you run through the 70s themed music part of the course will The Stampeders be playing "Sweet City Woman" over and over? :lol:

:lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 pm

La wrote:So when you run through the 70s themed music part of the course will The Stampeders be playing "Sweet City Woman" over and over? :lol:

http://youtu.be/CLH2ux9LhFg
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “General Running Discussion”