Scotia Toronto Marathon-New Marathon Course

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Scotia Toronto Marathon-New Marathon Course

Postby rambo999 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:17 am

What does everyone think about the new marathon course this year?

http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.co ... emap13.pdf

Faster course? Slower? Same?

Church St, parts of the West end of Lakeshore, parts of Cherry St, and Leslie St are eliminated from the course this year.
New parts are more of Bathurst St and the most significant change is the long out-and-back on Bayview Avenue.

Will a new record be broken on this new course?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Scotia Toronto Marathon-New Marathon Course

Postby purdy65 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 am

Oh yuck!

What is that mess they have going on around 37K at Bayview. Guess they had to make up for not being able to run down Cherry street. I made a vow not to do the full in this one again. I just don't like most of the course. Queen street is OK, but the rest. Ugh.. To many demoralizing switchbacks, and that Bayview mess doesn't make it look any better.

The half course is OK. Straight shot up university - Bloor - Bathurst then the Lakeshore. Kinda boring though.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:44 am

That out-and-back on Bayview, so close to the end, is going to be mentally tough. If I'm going to do weird extra loops to add on distance I'd rather do it in the first half of the race, not right at the end. :?

ETA: The enemy of all the running routes in the city is construction. The downtown core is an absolute mess right now.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:57 am

La wrote:That out-and-back on Bayview, so close to the end, is going to be mentally tough. If I'm going to do weird extra loops to add on distance I'd rather do it in the first half of the race, not right at the end. :?

ETA: The enemy of all the running routes in the city is construction. The downtown core is an absolute mess right now.

The 2012 route looks really nice, was construction why they got rid of Welsely and Church?

Every time they change it they get a little closer to not running in the eyesore that is Commissioners / Cherry / Leslie spit. Someday it will be a true showcase of the city! Someday.....

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:51 pm

purdy65 wrote:Oh yuck!

What is that mess they have going on around 37K at Bayview. Guess they had to make up for not being able to run down Cherry street. I made a vow not to do the full in this one again. I just don't like most of the course. Queen street is OK, but the rest. Ugh.. To many demoralizing switchbacks, and that Bayview mess doesn't make it look any better.

The half course is OK. Straight shot up university - Bloor - Bathurst then the Lakeshore. Kinda boring though.

I agree, the course at the best of times is very hard for me (but I keep going back). Thankfully I'm missing it this year so won't have to deal with that out and back so close to the finish....

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:51 pm

This is my 7th consecutive year pacing at Scotia (also ran it in 2004). I feel sorry for organizers with the construction issues. Obviously there is major stuff going on on Leslie etc.. leading into the Pan Am games. The challenge for Scotia is that with a combined half and full start, they can't add distance in the first half easily so they are stuck with fixing in the back half. Found it strange that part of the solution wasn't extending it back out to the end of Queen Street again(insert negative comment about the hill at the end of Queen street here...) Share some worry about the Bayview piece. Looks like 3k total. Would love a Toronto course that used more of Bloor and Danforth along with Yonge street. I liked the improvements to the front half last year..at least we get to by Honest Ed's this year.

It remains however a fast course.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:33 pm

This will be my first full, and I share the worry about the Bayview thing being demoralizing near the end. Going up to Danforth or something would be much more interesting, but then I guess that would take away some of their "flat and fast" thing, so with all the construction I do understand what they've had to do... doesn't mean I have to like it.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm

The "new" Calgary marathon course I ran last year had a 7 k in total out and back. So at the 31 K mark, oh so close but oh so far was the 36 K marker on the other side of the street. For whatever reason, it felt like every kilometer was 2 as if I was running the out and back and back and out at the same time. To be fair I could not see them do anything different and that mental test near the end from 30 to 37 K was tough and yet very rewarding. When I hit the turn around point and started to watch the runners going towards that. I had a chuckle to myself for my shoulders must have slumped and I must have signed the same way that I had observed the other runners.

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Start time this year is 8:30. Isn't this kind of late?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 pm

rambo999 wrote:Start time this year is 8:30. Isn't this kind of late?

They made it later when they moved to Oct. Too bad I say. I liked it when it started at 7:30
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Next Wed, I will be supervising a group of high school students stuffing kits.

I just got my instructions today! Must say they are organized! :shock:

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:32 pm

purdy65 wrote:Next Wed, I will be supervising a group of high school students stuffing kits.

Having worked at some of their races in the past, I can say that they have a very good "play book" that details everything that needs to happend, when, and by whom.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 pm

rambo999 wrote:Start time this year is 8:30. Isn't this kind of late?

It's actually 8:45 now.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Geez, don't complain... I have a 5:45 ferry time for NYC with a 9:40 start... NO complaints about 8:45. Boston was just as bad - 6:20 at the busses, 7:15 @ AV, and 10am race time. At least they let us go to the corrals around 9:20. Hopefully I can do something similar to occupy my time.

8:45 sounds perfect.

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 am

I've got no issues with 8:45! I appreciate not having to wake up at 4am to get there, and also being able to start in daylight.

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:17 pm

purdy65 wrote:Next Wed, I will be supervising a group of high school students stuffing kits.

There are kits this year? I thought their website says they are having 'virtual kits' this year where promotion stuff & coupons and other race brochures would be emailed to registrants.
What does your instructions say that is going to be in the kits?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm

rambo999 wrote:

There are kits this year? I thought their website says they are having 'virtual kits' this year where promotion stuff & coupons and other race brochures would be emailed to registrants.
What does your instructions say that is going to be in the kits?

Yes, there are bags with some goodies. Trident, Oasis, Deep relief, Get out there Magazine, and a few flyers. You get the virtual race kit too I think, and the bag that you get is the bag that you MUST use for your baggage check.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “General Running Discussion”