Discoveries - First Canada's waterways, now the human knee

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Discoveries - First Canada's waterways, now the human knee

Postby bruyere » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 am

When we thought we had it all figured out...

Some might remember earlier this year, the surprise when a kayaker discovered previously uncharted waterfalls in Canada. Well, now someone's discovered something new in our knees.

Discovery of new ligament in human knee may revolutionize how injuries are treated, surgeries conducted: researchers

"It’s not every day that doctors discover a new part of the human body, and in the case of a new knee ligament — anterolateral ligament (ALL) — anatomy textbooks — and also importantly physiotherapy ones — will need to be rewritten."

"... discovery by surgeons reported this week of an entirely new ligament being discovered has researchers excited about the possibilities for new treatments and care for knee injury patients. "

"The Anatomical Society praised the duo’s work as “very refreshing” and commended them for reminding the medical world that, despite the emergence of advanced technology, our knowledge of basic anatomy in the human body is not yet exhaustive."
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Re: Discoveries - First Canada's waterways, now the human kn

Postby drghfx » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:11 am

This just seems to be an embarrassment to the medical profession. How do you miss a knee ligament for the last 100 years or so?
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Scientists discover a new body part at the knee

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

http://metronews.ca/health/847861/scientists-discover-a-new-body-part-at-the-knee/

Call it the Higgs boson of the human body.

Like the mysterious particle theorized for decades but confirmed only this year, a knee ligament first hypothesized 134 years ago was recently discovered by two Belgian doctors.

The lost tissue could offer an explanation for athletes who suffer from chronic, sports-induced knee pain.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Re: Scientists discover a new body part at the knee

Postby Nicholas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am

Had already passed this on to my soccer buddies who have been through ligament operations. They all want to meet with their surgeons to discuss it! So, how could something like this go undiscovered for so long???? What parts of the brain have they missed.....

[Merged the two topics on this and put it in the GRD Forum to get more attention.....]
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:56 am

Nick wrote:Had already passed this on to my soccer buddies who have been through ligament operations. They all want to meet with their surgeons to discuss it! So, how could something like this go undiscovered for so long???? What parts of the brain have they missed.....

[Merged the two topics on this and put it in the GRD Forum to get more attention.....]

Thanks!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 am

Nick wrote: So, how could something like this go undiscovered for so long???? What parts of the brain have they missed.....

There is tons about the brain that we don't yet understand.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:46 am

Jwolf wrote:
Nick wrote: So, how could something like this go undiscovered for so long???? What parts of the brain have they missed.....

Ya think so?? It's not very big. :roll:
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
Nick wrote:Had already passed this on to my soccer buddies who have been through ligament operations. They all want to meet with their surgeons to discuss it! So, how could something like this go undiscovered for so long???? What parts of the brain have they missed.....

Thanks!

Oh, funny... I saw this in GRD and thought "Oops!! I meant to put this in the Injuries forum - I'll move it and post that I did." Glad I kept reading before I did that!

ETA: Also, your soccer buddies all have their own surgeons... I guess that says something!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Nick wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Ya think so?? It's not very big. :roll:

lol. :) What I meant was that there is so much about the function of the brain that we used to think was "given" or "fixed" -- like it was thought if we had an injury to a certain part of brain, that part of the brain's function was lost forever. We know now that this is far from the truth.

It doesn't really surprise me that we will still be discovering structure/function of other parts of the body like ligaments in the knee-- there's so much about the connective tissues and small muscles that is not "fixed" either. Not to mention on the cellular and biochemical level. Our bodies are such complicated machines.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Perfect opportunity for the Evolutionists to claim it wasn't there before.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:00 am

Pat Menzies wrote:Perfect opportunity for the Evolutionists to claim it wasn't there before.

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Perfect opportunity for the Evolutionists to claim it wasn't there before.

Or creationists to argue God added it to improve his work and/or test the faith of the believers.

Return to “General Running Discussion”