Teacher missing after run

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Teacher missing after run

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 am

For those of you in the Durham region. This man is a colleague of my sister's and teaches at Bowmanville High School. He has been missing since he went out for a run yesterday morning.

http://www.cp24.com/news/police-look-fo ... -1.1638164
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Teacher missing after run

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 am

=( Oh man that doesn't sound good... I hope he'll be found alive and well.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:01 am

This is RIGHT by where I live, and I saw someone fitting his description while I was running yesterday morning. I called the police last night and they came by at 11:30 (woke me up but that's ok) to show a pic, and it definitely looked like him. I'm not thinking it was him now though, as his wife told CBC that he ran at 6 for about 10km. I was out at about 10:30. At the time I called, I didn't know the timeframe- they had just said "morning", and then the story was that he was seen at 8:30, so I thought it was possible (long run). It completely freaked me out last night to think that someone had died or been in such distress very close to home. It freaked me out even more to wonder if there was foul play. I really hope he's found alive.
Pat went out last night at about 1am to join the search effort.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 am

QuickChick wrote:This is RIGHT by where I live, and I saw someone fitting his description while I was running yesterday morning. I called the police last night and they came by at 11:30 (woke me up but that's ok) to show a pic, and it definitely looked like him. I'm not thinking it was him now though, as his wife told CBC that he ran at 6 for about 10km. I was out at about 10:30. At the time I called, I didn't know the timeframe- they had just said "morning", and then the story was that he was seen at 8:30, so I thought it was possible (long run). It completely freaked me out last night to think that someone had died or been in such distress very close to home. It freaked me out even more to wonder if there was foul play. I really hope he's found alive.
Pat went out last night at about 1am to join the search effort.

He is a well respected teacher and well liked amongst his colleagues (I believe tech - autoshop or something?) The BHS staff and students are really upset.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:09 am

Scary. I really hope they find him and he's okay. If he's fallen somewhere and injured, that's a lot of hours to be outside in not very much clothing. :(
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 am

So scary and sad. Pat is going out again today to check spots where a runner might be tempted to pee... A likely scenario might involve him going off the road/trail to pee and collapsing. There are quite a few ravine paths but they're all sheets of ice. I can't imagine they would be the first choice of someone heading out in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 am

That is so scary. I sure hope they find him safe.

Makes me realize that we should all give someone a rough estimate if where we're going. I'm glad I carry my phone with me to hopefully dial 9-1-1.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am

Habs4ever wrote:That is so scary. I sure hope they find him safe.

Makes me realize that we should all give someone a rough estimate if where we're going. I'm glad I carry my phone with me to hopefully dial 9-1-1.

If I'm venturing outside the cemetery or very far from the neighbourhood, I tell my husband, and I take a phone. If I tell him the cemetery, he'll know exactly where I am. I will be even more vigilant now.

Also, I'm a creature of habit and tend to stick to familiar routes, and the only time I run in the parks is in the daylight and dry conditions.

Guys seem to be somewhat more adventurous.

Still awaiting news! My sister's kids all know him well too, as they attend/attended BHS.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:53 am

Ah, I hope he is found soon :(

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 am

Pat is out on his bike right now looking. This has really gotten under both our skin. There is a pic of his family now on CBC.ca and it's just so sad... Pat said they aren't really thinking like runners when they're searching from what he saw last night. He is focusing on places he may have veered off the road to pee, and roads that would have been long stretches with no lights/stops. We google mapped the guy's street and mapped out a few possible 10K routes that would've been likely choices. At this point I think the most likely scenario is him collapsing. If there is foul play involved, this is absolutely terrifying. I keep thinking about that case with the guy test driving the truck out west of Toronto... there are some sick people out there.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Saw this on the news this morning. Doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully it has a happy ending.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Wow! What could have happened to him? I often go on my runs when no one is home but me. I've thought of leaving a note each time listing my time of departure, expected route, and what I am wearing, but I don't do this.

Hope there's good news about this man soon.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:12 pm

They're concentrating their search in the nearby conservation area. I'm not sure that's the most logical place- the trails in there are a) not very long and b) broken up with staircases, boardwalk etc. Plus if he left at 6am, it was dark, and it would be icy in there. I also don't think the ravine paths are very logical, except the very short one by his house cutting through to a major road. The paths are also not very long at a stretch, and it would be MUCH more pleasant to run on the roads when it's dark and this slippery out. I wasn't even venturing onto the sidewalks yesterday, let alone the paths. Everything except the roads are under a lot of ice. Hopefully everyone in the neighbourhood has searched their yards, and hopefully they're really combing the sides of the major roads.

Who knows though, maybe he is a trail junkie who doesn't care about the conditions or daylight.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Let us know if you hear anything via Pat QC!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 pm

By the way, I should correct myself. He is a tech teacher. He teaches Business.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:35 pm

So scary... I hope he is found safe and well ... :(
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:28 pm

This is the first I've heard of this! So scary! Sending positive thoughts. Hope he is found well. Thinking of the searchers and the time they are spending.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Huh. No one can confirm if he "actually" went for a run though. I assume the family would know if his running clothes/shoes are missing?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Irongirl wrote:Huh. No one can confirm if he "actually" went for a run though. I assume the family would know if his running clothes/shoes are missing?

I thought this a BIT strange too. DH always knows I am up and out running in the AM. He might not be able to figure out what I was wearing though, or the missing shoes (I have a lot in the front hall :oops: :oops: )

If everyone has a habit of sleeping through is morning routine though - it's possible. For us, it's not actually me that wakes DH up, it's the dog!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:17 pm

purdy65 wrote:
Irongirl wrote:Huh. No one can confirm if he "actually" went for a run though. I assume the family would know if his running clothes/shoes are missing?

I thought this a BIT strange too. DH always knows I am up and out running in the AM. He might not be able to figure out what I was wearing though, or the missing shoes (I have a lot in the front hall :oops: :oops: )

If everyone has a habit of sleeping through is morning routine though - it's possible. For us, it's not actually me that wakes DH up, it's the dog!

Good point - I don't hear IB leave for Crossfit - but, the car is gone, and, his Crossfit bag is gone.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:20 pm

What's weird to me is the comment from his wife that maybe he was having a midlife crisis or was running away from a problem at work. I wonder if there were any indications that he was depressed. If so, it's possible that he may not have intended to come home. :(
They have searched pretty thoroughly at this point, and I think it's starting to look like something else might have happened, other than him just collapsing. I really hope not. I hope he is found alive.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:21 pm

I have about 6 pairs of shoes and 3 running coats in the front hall so my clothing alone wouldn't show I was gone. For me, my garmin would be missing if I were running, but someone else might wear theirs all the time or not at all.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Irongirl wrote:
purdy65 wrote:

Good point - I don't hear IB leave for Crossfit - but, the car is gone, and, his Crossfit bag is gone.

Yeah, but he was just going out the door for a run. He would not normally take keys/phone etc it according to the family. I think it must be him getting caught up in the conditions somehow. My sister knows him and finds it totally out of character - especially missing work - and they have worked together for 25 years.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm

QuickChick wrote:What's weird to me is the comment from his wife that maybe he was having a midlife crisis or was running away from a problem at work. I wonder if there were any indications that he was depressed. If so, it's possible that he may not have intended to come home. :(
They have searched pretty thoroughly at this point, and I think it's starting to look like something else might have happened, other than him just collapsing. I really hope not. I hope he is found alive.

I found that comment strange too, but I think she was just saying she hopes its that vs collapsed or injured.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Assuming he was wearing a GPS watch and he normally downloads his runs on the computer, couldn't they login to his account and see what routes he normally takes? Or ask Garmin or whoever to help them with this info?

Return to “General Running Discussion”