Chicago goes Lottery

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Chicago goes Lottery

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am

Chicago has changed their entry process, guaranteed entry (3:15 for men; 3:45 for women) or lottery

http://www.chicagomarathon.com/particip ... guaranteed

Registration opens March 5 and guaranteed entry only available until April 7.

I'm not suprised based on what happened last year. Great event that's for sure.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Re: Chicago goes Lottery

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for the information. DH and I had talked about doing Chicago this year but now that it's a lottery we may re-think. He could probably get a package through Marathon Tours, but just like New York, that would be a big premium. Hmmmm...
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:55 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

That really sucks! I know they've had issues with registration in the past 2 years but as someone who always travels with her husband for races, it was one we loved to do and we're sure of both getting in at the same time........ urgh I hate change lol
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 am

Wasn't this inevitable?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am

Interesting! Chicago is still on my some-day list (though it looks like my BFF might not stay there for much longer - should have done it last year!).
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:15 pm

No surprise there. I would still like to do this one at some point.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm

As long as they don't use the "three strikes you're in" system that NYRR used to use (or some other formula that's different for local, US and international applicants), you might actually have a decent chance of getting in.

ETA: it would be cool if they used a system like Nike Women's Marathon where if you register as a group and one person's name is drawn you all get in. I would think that there are many people who wouldn't want to run unless at least one other person (spouse/friend) also got in the same year.
Last edited by La on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:18 pm

I guess they wanted to keep it simple for now but I predict age-group qualifying times some time in the future.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Interesting. I still think it would be better for the sport to have these races drastically increase the registration fee (>$400) rather than use a lottery to thin the herd, but delay registration until a three or four months before the race.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 pm

They do have a qualifying standard. Flat standard for men and women. No age groups. Age issue aside. It is a lot easier than the new New York standard and a bit easier than Boston--especially for the youngsters. (Pat could run Chicago this year!!!)

Chicago Marathon Time Qualifier
Men who have run a verifiable sub 3:15:00 marathon and women who have run a verifiable sub 3:45:00 marathon on or after January 1, 2012 can guarantee their spot in the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon during the lottery entry period.

At any time from Wednesday, March 5, at 12 p.m., to Monday, April 7, at 12 p.m. U.S. Central Time, qualified runners can create a registration account and submit for verification their qualifying performance. Proof of performance must be submitted in the form of an official finisher certificate or official results page. Upon verification (within three business days), entry into the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon will be approved and processed.

After April 7 at 12 p.m., it will no longer be an option to register as a Chicago Marathon Time Qualifier.

Notes:

•For men, marathon finish times of 3:15:01 and above will not be considered; for women, marathon finish times of 3:45:01 and above will not be considered
•Times run prior to January 1, 2012 will not be considered
•Finish times at race distances other than a marathon, such as a half marathon or 50K, for example, will not be considered
•A verifiable time is one run on a certified course, such as by USA Track & Field (USATF) or a similar governing association; considerations will not be made for non-certified races, weather or course conditions
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 pm

dgrant wrote:Interesting. I still think it would be better for the sport to have these races drastically increase the registration fee (>$400) rather than use a lottery to thin the herd, but delay registration until a three or four months before the race.

Are you nuts?!
Better for the sport, how? So that the rich can only go to these events? If that's the case then Chicago Marathon would be like an exclusive private club.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:06 pm

rambo999 wrote:
dgrant wrote:Interesting. I still think it would be better for the sport to have these races drastically increase the registration fee (>$400) rather than use a lottery to thin the herd, but delay registration until a three or four months before the race.

Are you nuts?!
Better for the sport, how? So that the rich can only go to these events? If that's the case then Chicago Marathon would be like an exclusive private club.

It's already USD$185-$210, so considering travel and accommodation costs I'd say we're already there. There are plenty of $50 marathons around, so I think Chicago is already drawing from a pool of runners who say "This race has extra value to me." The high price might help create a market for another local marathon. Chicago used to have a second marathon that died due to poor organization rather than lack of interest.

As for being better for the sport, I believe the trend toward having to register for marathons 6-10 months in advance promotes injuries. It asks people to commit (emotionally/financially) to an extreme endeavour long before they can reasonably evaluate their fitness to go through with it.

A huge operation like the Chicago Marathon is not going to willingly give up a guaranteed $6 million revenue in March... unless it could maybe instead draw $12 million in August.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

I guess I keep it on my bucket list! but as part of my "b" list along with New York. :(
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “General Running Discussion”