Wednesday Workouts

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Wednesday Workouts

Postby erinmcd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:55 am

Good morning all!

15km for me, with 3 x 3200m.
Last edited by erinmcd on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Wednesday Workouts

Postby HCcD » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:10 am

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:43 am

Hills with the clinic tonight.

Good news was that last night was a great easy run in the snow with the clinic. The bad news is, it was supposed to be a tempo. Not a chance....
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 am

10 K on TM yesterday. Rest day today.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:03 am

Early morning 14K in the cold (-27 WC -33). This is getting old and so am I...

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:33 am

Good morning! Checking back in after almost two weeks. DH and I got home from Ottawa on Monday afternoon, went back to work yesterday, and life is slowly returning to normal. Thank you again for all the condolences on my mother-in-law's passing.

As for running... It was difficult to keep to a schedule while we were away, and my weekend long runs weren't long enough, but there were treadmills available and I ran when it could be fit into the rest of the schedule. Sunday 17 km, Monday 8 miles, Tuesday 12.8 km, Thursday 10 km, Friday 8 miles, Sunday 12 miles. Unfortunately, since Sunday I think that I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I noticed before my run that the arch felt sore and that walking was uncomfortable, but attributed it to my boots. Things were okay once I got warmed up. But then afterwards and since, the pain hasn't gone away and it's consistent with the symptoms I could find on the internet. Last night I wore the sock thing to sleep in, and I'm using ibuprofen (sparingly). Today I didn't run, but instead did 40 minutes on the elliptical. That didn't seem to make things worse and in fact my foot felt better while I was exercising. So I am not sure what to do. My training for ATB and Boston is behind, which is never a good thing. Part of me thinks it would make sense to take the rest of the week off, the other part wants to try a short run tomorrow. And it's obviously been a tough couple of weeks, emotionally, and running always helps with that, so I really don't want to give it up. One day at a time, I guess.

There in one bright spot - we are going to become a 3-kitty household. We are scheduled to pick up our new family member tomorrow night. The integration with our two cats may end up being very challenging, but this new boy was really tugging on the my heart strings and it feels like the right thing to do. Fingers crossed!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Did 4 miles (6.4K) in 36:22 on the TM (5:39/km). I felt really speedy today! It's a lovely sunny day out - if it weren't for a 4:45PM physio appointment today, I'd have run outside after work!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 pm

2.5 miles on the treadmill for me at lunch. My legs were tired, likely from the walk home from work last night and back in today (9k total).
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

temporun
Johnny Miles

Postby temporun » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:Good morning! Checking back in after almost two weeks. DH and I got home from Ottawa on Monday afternoon, went back to work yesterday, and life is slowly returning to normal. Thank you again for all the condolences on my mother-in-law's passing.

As for running... It was difficult to keep to a schedule while we were away, and my weekend long runs weren't long enough, but there were treadmills available and I ran when it could be fit into the rest of the schedule. Sunday 17 km, Monday 8 miles, Tuesday 12.8 km, Thursday 10 km, Friday 8 miles, Sunday 12 miles. Unfortunately, since Sunday I think that I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I noticed before my run that the arch felt sore and that walking was uncomfortable, but attributed it to my boots. Things were okay once I got warmed up. But then afterwards and since, the pain hasn't gone away and it's consistent with the symptoms I could find on the internet. Last night I wore the sock thing to sleep in, and I'm using ibuprofen (sparingly). Today I didn't run, but instead did 40 minutes on the elliptical. That didn't seem to make things worse and in fact my foot felt better while I was exercising. So I am not sure what to do. My training for ATB and Boston is behind, which is never a good thing. Part of me thinks it would make sense to take the rest of the week off, the other part wants to try a short run tomorrow. And it's obviously been a tough couple of weeks, emotionally, and running always helps with that, so I really don't want to give it up. One day at a time, I guess.

There in one bright spot - we are going to become a 3-kitty household. We are scheduled to pick up our new family member tomorrow night. The integration with our two cats may end up being very challenging, but this new boy was really tugging on the my heart strings and it feels like the right thing to do. Fingers crossed!

Plantar fasciitis is a stubborn and annoying injury. Not sure if you have tried this but based on anecdotal evidence taping the arch seems to be the most effective treatment. Hope it gets better soon.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Treadmill for 5 miles today. Felt good!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:Good morning! Checking back in after almost two weeks. DH and I got home from Ottawa on Monday afternoon, went back to work yesterday, and life is slowly returning to normal. Thank you again for all the condolences on my mother-in-law's passing.

Good luck with the new kitty!!

Re your PF: a very good friend of mine was telling me over the holidays that his PT (in London, ON) has some new fangled theory about PF and sorted him out quite quickly. I remember him explaining it, but can't remember the details. Something about treating bone vs muscle or other tissue. If you want to know more, send me a message here or on FB (I check FB more often) and I can get more info from hom, or put you in touch.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:08 pm

More snow and snow shovelling here.
12 Km indoors.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Jwolf wrote:Treadmill for 5 miles today. Felt good!

And then 800m in the pool. First swim in six months. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Nice work Jen!

10km run for me today. Legs felt like lead the entire time, was definitely a mental battle!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Five and three-quarters kilometers in the late afternoon sun. The temperature still felt like winter, but the light is hinting at spring.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Treadmill for 5 miles today. Felt good!

And then 800m in the pool. First swim in six months. :)

Good job in the pool.

16k on the treadmill for me.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

temporun
Johnny Miles

Postby temporun » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:33 pm

8 km outdoors for me.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks temporun and bruyere. I've been wearing hard soled shoes with a medium heel all day, and my foot feels as normal as it has felt since Sunday. Curious to see what happens when I finally leave the office and switch shoes to something more practical for the subway/walking. I'm really hoping this is a just a little blip along the way, not a real injury.

In other news, the "little bit of a cold" that showed up on the weekend has intensified today. Not a big surprise, since Ed has had a cold since sometime last week. Stupid winter...everyone I know seems to be sniffling and sneezing...what made me think I'd escape, LOL?
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Did 6 miles on TM last night then massage therapy to stretch left piraformis and right itb. I think I need a night off to recover. I'm pretty sore.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:04 pm

400M repeats for me. My legs are happy now that I'm done, LOL.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 pm

7 miles on indoor track (98 laps)

Rick C
Johnny Miles

Postby Rick C » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 pm

24.2 Km, icy run across the bald butt prairie, a little southwest of Calgary,near Black Diamond. About minus 17 C, not counting the breeze, a big improvement over the last week. Between 3,700 and slightly over 4,000 feet altitude. A few interludes. Chatted up about a dozen interested horses and then talked to a local rancher tending a broken water well about an upcoming race and he agreed not to run his cattle on the road in the days prior to the event. Sunny, freezing day to be wandering around. Supposed to rocket to well above freezing here by the weekend. Into the teens. Chinook Arch. Crazy place. Can't wait to put on the shorts.
Dear Lord, help me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Rick C wrote:24.2 Km, icy run across the bald butt prairie, a little southwest of Calgary,near Black Diamond. About minus 17 C, not counting the breeze, a big improvement over the last week. Between 3,700 and slightly over 4,000 feet altitude. A few interludes. Chatted up about a dozen interested horses and then talked to a local rancher tending a broken water well about an upcoming race and he agreed not to run his cattle on the road in the days prior to the event. Sunny, freezing day to be wandering around. Supposed to rocket to well above freezing here by the weekend. Into the teens. Chinook Arch. Crazy place. Can't wait to put on the shorts.

Welcome Rick, nice to have another Albertan. Gotta love the Chinooks. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 am

10k on the TM and 30 min on the bike tonight
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done