A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

itsd2001

Seeking Advice

Postby itsd2001 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 am

Hi,

I have registered for :

1. 30K Around the bay "Hamilton-Canada" on April 30 and
2. Boston Marathon on April 21

I am looking for advice on how to run these two races ?

Thinking to do Around the bay 30K at my marathon pace and race Boston ? Is this OK or is too much that I can't recover before Boston.

My PB marathon is 3:07 "last year in Boston" and looking to break the three hour one day .....

Thanks
John

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... z2wtOt4HdK

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re: Seeking Advice

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:25 am

itsd2001 wrote:Hi,

I have registered for :

1. 30K Around the bay "Hamilton-Canada" on April 30 and
2. Boston Marathon on April 21

I am looking for advice on how to run these two races ?

Thinking to do Around the bay 30K at my marathon pace and race Boston ? Is this OK or is too much that I can't recover before Boston.

My PB marathon is 3:07 "last year in Boston" and looking to break the three hour one day .....

Thanks
John

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... z2wtOt4HdK

Good luck John. I have had great luck running ATB at sub-MP leading up to later spring marathons. But I am a slower runner than you.
Last edited by Double Bellybuster on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 am

I assume that Boston is your A race of the two since you intend to race it. There are many stories of people who have tried to race both and it destroyed their Boston race. ATB is three weeks before Boston...so that is when you would normally have your last long run before tapering. So, would your training plan be to do that at MP or take it a bit easier? I think the answer depends on your recovery capabilities but I would personally want to treat Hamilton more like a normal long run. Boston is a hard enough race without going into it less than 100%. A few years ago I did race ATB and then hit my goal time in a marathon 5 weeks later, with a solid 30K training run (15 secs per K slower than MP) in between. But that is not quite your scenario.
I think we have some folks on here who have done both events back to back but I can't remember what their plans were or what happened to them.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Paging Robbie-T....
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm

6/10 for the obvious back door brag. Someone that qualifies for Boston - at Boston - knows the answer to your question already.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm

welcome to RM! I can't help you with your question because I'm too slow and a slacker! :lol: Robbie-T would be a good one to ask though.

Mark 2.1 wrote:6/10 for the obvious back door brag. Someone that qualifies for Boston - at Boston - knows the answer to your question already.

jealous, Mark?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:10 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Mark 2.1 wrote:6/10 for the obvious back door brag. Someone that qualifies for Boston - at Boston - knows the answer to your question already.

jealous, Mark?

i can see why Mark would make that comment. Someone who can run a 3:07 marathon likely knows how to prepare and what distances and paces that would entail. it's kind of a strange post by the OP. but what do i know, i've never trained for a marathon.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:33 pm

ultraslacker wrote:welcome to RM! I can't help you with your question because I'm too slow and a slacker! :lol: Robbie-T would be a good one to ask though.

jealous, Mark?

Of what? I'm much better at back door bragging than that.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 pm

In the house....

In 2008 I ran both, I was 38, I was a 3:05 marathoner on paper at the time. It was my first Boston. I hurt my achilles over the winter and was just barely healing before ATB. I ran ATB at marathon pace, the pace I planned running in Boston, I wanted to run sub 3 in Boston. ATB race was successful and felt good 2:06.

here is my ATB race report. viewtopic.php?t=24989

After ATB I started my taper, 23k and 16k long runs. My achilles really didn't start feeling better until about a week before Boston, but I don't think it was an issue at Boston.

I ran 3:05 at Boston, it was a PB, but the last 8k or so was punishment. I don't think it had anything to do with ATB, it had to do with dehydration, fuelling and pacing mostly.

Boston race report. viewtopic.php?t=25600

I'd run this plan again if I was racing Boston again. Worked for me.

Good luck.
Last edited by Robbie-T on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:welcome to RM! I can't help you with your question because I'm too slow and a slacker! :lol: Robbie-T would be a good one to ask though.

jealous, Mark?

It was the best reason I could think of for someone to be so rude to a new member asking an innocent question. But clearly I'm just being stupid. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:14 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Mark 2.1 wrote:

jealous, Mark?

It was the best reason I could think of for someone to be so rude to a new member asking an innocent question. But clearly I'm just being stupid. ;)

Interesting...I didn't interpret Mark's comment as being "so rude"...maybe I'm just used to Mark :lol: :lol:
...or perhaps 35 years of working in male dominated environments have rendered me as insensitive as most guys :roll: :wink: :wink:

Happy to see that Robbie-T popped in here to respond. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Seeking Advice

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Yes, welcome to the forum!

We have several sub-3:00 marathoners here who have done both ATB and Boston and I'm glad at least Robbie-T has replied. It's not all that obvious how to do both races that close together and I've also seen many people tank their Boston race by pushing too hard at ATB.

Good luck in Boston and I hope you get your goal.

(And for the record, I also think that accusing someone of a humble brag is not appropriate- the question was also posted in LetsRun where a 3:07 wouldn't be anywhere near a brag. It might seem really fast to some of us here who have never broken 4 hours, but getting down those last 7-10 minutes isn't trivial when you've worked hard for 3:07.)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:58 pm

For what it is worth, a 30k MP run is a fairly gruelling challenge, and the faster you are the harder MP runs are. There are a lot of 3:07 marathoners who do NOT have enough base to recover fully from the workout, and come back STRONGER for it.

The question I would ask is "what is the purpose of the run?" If a long MP workout fits with your training plan, do it. If it doesn't, if it is a stretch, then why run it that fast?

My most aggressive (26 week) training plan has three long MP runs in it, the final one is 32k and it is four weeks out: that is as close as I would run that hard for that long.

Return to “General Running Discussion”