Some GTA racing news!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Some GTA racing news!

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

I received this e-mail from a race director friend of mine - it contains some great racing news for the GTA!

Dear Friends,

I am happy to announce that after two years of successfully organizing the Downsview Half Marathon & 5k (and continuing to help others with their dreams of building successful running races), I am adding two more races to my business.

One new race is the Spring Fling 10k & 5k, starting & finishing in Sunnybrook Park, Toronto. This is also Father’s Day so it’s a great way to encourage Dad to be active that morning to earn the big lunch or dinner he’ll have later! The race route goes through three well-treed parklands so you’ll rarely feel like you’re in the city. Also includes two free kids’ races (you can sign them up online when you sign up). More info below.

The other new race is the Toronto 10-Miler & 5k that’s been around for years as part of the Canada Running Series. I’m excited to revive it and get people once again into Tommy Thompson Park with its fantastic city & shoreline views, lagoon and lighthouse. This is the perfect tune-up race for Waterfront three weeks later! More info below.

The Downsview Half & 5k is now the Downsview 5k Powered by Mattamy Homes & Urbancorp. Changes were needed so we started with the date, and otherwise revamped the race. More info below.

Having three events is like having a herd of kids so I put all three together and made the Excel Running Series. People can run one, two or all three events

Want to get involved?

1. Sign up/register to RUN one or more of the races (links above and below)

2. Be a Volunteer... we need adult volunteers (we have our quota of high school kids). Read more...

Just email or call if you have questions. Would you mind passing this message on to running friends? If there’s someone you think I should meet or talk to or give a brief presentation to I’d be glad to do so (potential sponsors included).

Thanks and hope to see you at the races!

Michael

416-729-7867

Facts about the 2014 Races

Web

Spring Fling 10k & 5k

Event: The event celebrates the arrival of spring and especially Father’s Day down in Sunnybrook Park and the rest of the park system

Date & Hour: Saturday, June 15, 2014, 8:00am

Race Info

- Both out-and-back races start near the entrance to Sunnybrook and head south through the parks. The 10k rises once over some train tracks but otherwise is flat.

- The 5k is a scenic flat route on paved pathway that passes groves of trees and the Science Centre

- Free kids’ races for kids 1-5 and 6-9 (sign them up online when you sign up)... kids receive a race bib, ribbon and loot pouch... face painting

- All 10k and 5k participants will receive a race shirt, goodie bag, finisher medal

- Post-race entertainment

Charity: The event will benefit the YMCA of Greater Toronto which does such fine work with its StrongKids Program

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Print

Downsview 5k powered by Mattamy Homes & Urbancorp

Event: The event celebrates the beginning of fall and the colors

Date & Hour: Saturday, September 13th, 8:30am

Race Info

- The 5k will all be in Downsview Park on the Circuit Path, a wide, paved pathway that passes groves of trees, orchards, a lake and huge mounds

- Free kids’ races for kids 1-5 and 6-9 (sign them up online when you sign up)... kids receive a race bib, ribbon and loot pouch... face painting

- All 5k participants will receive a race shirt, goodie bag, finisher medal

Charity: The event will benefit the new Humber River Hospital (being built at Keele St. & 401 in Toronto)

BB & TG at kids race 1 - lg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10M&5K logo2 cityscape

Toronto 10-Miler & 5k

Event: A beautiful tour of Tommy Thompson Park with great city views, shoreline views, and more. You’ll circle a huge lagoon – watch for birds and critters in there!

Date & Hour: Sunday, September 28th, 8:30am

Race Info

- The routes are flat and paved. The 10-miler takes in all of Tommy Thompson Park and the fast 5k snags some great harbor views.

- All 10M & 5k participants will receive a race shirt, goodie bag, finisher medal

Charity: The event will benefit The Living City Foundation which helps with the conservation and preservation of the green spaces in the city, among them Tommy Thompson Park

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Series Race Director

- Michael Brennan has been director of or worked on over 120 races, including Scotiabank Marathon and 4 other large Canada Running Series races for the past nine years, Toronto Women’s Running Series for five years, 5 Peaks Trail Running Series for two years, Mississauga Marathon, Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k and numerous others.

- Veteran of 60 marathons, 2 Ironman Triathlons, and over 275 other races

Contact: Michael Brennan, Brennan Event Management, 416-729-7867, Michael@excelrunning.com
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Some GTA racing news!

Postby La » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

Nice to see the Toronto 10-Miler come back. Since it's so close to home (and it's on my regular running route), I'll likely sign up.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

It's nice to see that Michael is doing well. Another race series is a good idea.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 am

That's great! I've run the Downsview Half both years and love the event. Michael is also part of Road Warrior Running program as well.

temporun
Johnny Miles

Postby temporun » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:33 am

I am glad the 10 miler is back. The course has some nice views and is flat which is a bonus.

LyndaJ
Percy Williams

Postby LyndaJ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:09 am

Wondering if I'm missing something. Looks like they have removed the half marathon from the Downsview race. All I see is the 5k. Is it just me?
November 2 - Hamilton Road 2 Hope Half Marathon (First half)
June 7, 2015 - Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 am

temporun wrote:I am glad the 10 miler is back. The course has some nice views and is flat which is a bonus.

meh. some of the views of the shoreline/skyline are ok. but for the most part the scenery is not anything to write home about.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:13 am

LyndaJ wrote:Wondering if I'm missing something. Looks like they have removed the half marathon from the Downsview race. All I see is the 5k. Is it just me?

They moved it up to September
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

LyndaJ
Percy Williams

Postby LyndaJ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 am

purdy65 wrote:
LyndaJ wrote:Wondering if I'm missing something. Looks like they have removed the half marathon from the Downsview race. All I see is the 5k. Is it just me?

They moved it up to September

Just found this on their website:

Due to construction at the Downsview airport and traffic issues in Downsview Park, we have had to drop the half marathon distance from the race.

I didn't see anything about it being moved to September.
November 2 - Hamilton Road 2 Hope Half Marathon (First half)
June 7, 2015 - Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 am

I will check!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:07 am

You are right. It's just the 5k

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Michael is a great guy and dedicated to the sport---as are most race directors. He has run a ton of marathons--I think over 70. He is also the pace team organizer for the Toronto Scotiabank Marathon. Nice to see he keeps working on ideas for races.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm

richie-rich wrote:
temporun wrote:I am glad the 10 miler is back. The course has some nice views and is flat which is a bonus.

meh. some of the views of the shoreline/skyline are ok. but for the most part the scenery is not anything to write home about.

With the start/finish being at Cherry Beach (rather than the Distillery), it will have a bit more of a park-like feel, but there's still plenty of industrial crap to look at along the way. I don't really care about the view when I'm running. I like the course because I know it well, so I can race without being concerned about knowing what I'll be facing in terms of terrain.

They haven't posted the route yet, but if it goes to the Lighthouse and back around the Lagoon, then it will likely have to run along Unwin as opposed to the Martin-Goodman Trail (to make it 10 miles). Besides, the trail wouldn't be wide enough for an event that size. Maybe go out along Unwin and then back along the path as the crowds would be thinner on the way back.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:13 pm

sorry about the 1/2 being dropped...that's too bad.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm

La wrote:
richie-rich wrote:

With the start/finish being at Cherry Beach (rather than the Distillery), it will have a bit more of a park-like feel, but there's still plenty of industrial crap to look at along the way. I don't really care about the view when I'm running. I like the course because I know it well, so I can race without being concerned about knowing what I'll be facing in terms of terrain.

They haven't posted the route yet, but if it goes to the Lighthouse and back around the Lagoon, then it will likely have to run along Unwin as opposed to the Martin-Goodman Trail (to make it 10 miles). Besides, the trail wouldn't be wide enough for an event that size. Maybe go out along Unwin and then back along the path as the crowds would be thinner on the way back.

i don't usually care too much about views when i'm racing as well (must be true - i've run in hamilton more times than i can remember). i just found the event description provided by the event organizer a little, shall we say, flattering. the industrial portion of the route was conveniently left out of the description. LOL :D

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:43 am

OK! So I'm a bit nutty. I'm nowhere near ready to meet any kind of time goal for a 10K, but I'm running the 10K Spring Fling in Sunnybrook park on June 15. I'm basically doing it because it's a lovely part of the city to run in, and I'm supporting the race director, who has become a friend.

If you are still interested it's not too late!

Here is the website:

http://springflingtoronto.com/

And you can register with the coupon code: road warrior

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:37 pm

purdy65 wrote:And you can register with the coupon code: road warrior

Coupon code does not work!!
How much is it if u apply the coupon code?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Hmm it was to save $5. Maybe it expired? Or one word? I can't remember

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “General Running Discussion”