How do you feel about public race results

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: How do you feel about public race results

Postby La » Thu May 29, 2014 8:12 pm

NYC and Disney required photo ID to pick up the kit, so does Ironman.

Giving a fake name (not just for the bib, but for the actual registration) can make it difficult to ID you if something happens to you at the race (not unlike running with someone else's bib).

I guess it would be more of an issue if I actually had a stalker (or was in the witness protection program :lol: ).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu May 29, 2014 9:17 pm

it's actually not the fact that the results are public that bothers me, it's the online aspect. sportstats, roadraceresults, etc are always super high on google search results and they bump down my work-related info (or bump it off the first page). :? i would have no issue if: 1) i weren't on the job market, 2) i wasn't the only person on the planet with my name, or 3) the results weren't published to search engines.

the photo thing does truly bother me, though, because 98% of my race photos are extremely unflattering.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
deerdree wrote:i like that, though. a running pseudonym. hmmm, what would i choose...

I've got mine

=)) :))! =)) :))! =))
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 9:24 pm

I really don't understand how having your name and race time listed online would aid a stalker. Unless the person didn't know where you lived beforehand, since it also lists your hometown. But how often is that information the missing piece that someone would need?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu May 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:I really don't understand how having your name and race time listed online would aid a stalker. Unless the person didn't know where you lived beforehand, since it also lists your hometown. But how often is that information the missing piece that someone would need?

sometimes you can "stalk" people who think they're anonymous online, but they lose that anonymity as soon as they mention a race. once, i didn't even have the race time or bib, but the person mentioned two races and i was able to cross-reference the results lists to see who had run both and thus figure out the "anonymous" person's name, age, and hometown. from there, it's a hop, skip and jump to a wealth of information.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 pm

deerdree wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I really don't understand how having your name and race time listed online would aid a stalker. Unless the person didn't know where you lived beforehand, since it also lists your hometown. But how often is that information the missing piece that someone would need?

sometimes you can "stalk" people who think they're anonymous online, but they lose that anonymity as soon as they mention a race. once, i didn't even have the race time or bib, but the person mentioned two races and i was able to cross-reference the results lists to see who had run both and thus figure out the "anonymous" person's name, age, and hometown. from there, it's a hop, skip and jump to a wealth of information.

Ok.... But if anyone really thinks they are online and being anonymous then they are not really that smart. And if you are really worried about someone stalking you, would you have a blog? I guess along those lines some people post their race times to the nearest tenth of a second and then are surprised when that information can be matched to their name.

Eta: I think we should be careful about using the word "stalk" so lightly. I'm wondering how having this information online really puts anyone in danger. Like actual criminal stalking. If we are just talking about a supposedly anonymous person's name being revealed, I don't see how that's a problem. Unless you're Paul Ryan.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu May 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Jwolf wrote:
deerdree wrote:

Ok.... But if anyone really thinks they are online and being anonymous then they are not really that smart. And if you are really worried about someone stalking you, would you have a blog?..

in my example, it wasn't a blog - it was someone on RM. :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Well- same idea. :)

jemez
Johnny Miles

Postby jemez » Thu May 29, 2014 10:16 pm

I used a pseudonym in a race once: Beat Beethoven & I registered as Ludwig (hoping they'd have personalized bibs; they didn't). And wasn't this the one and ONLY time I won my age group in a race!

Rick C
Johnny Miles

Postby Rick C » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 pm

I think most people would run remarkably faster if their results weren't public.

At the LA Marathon, and probably other races, you can arrange for your friends to be texted periodically with updates during the race, showing them how you're doing as it's happening.

Most timing companies can now offer a live web link showing results as people cross the finish line.

The trend is towards more results delivered faster, not slower or not at all. Runners demand it and technology delivers.

I would have rather been a bit more invisible during a few of my recent races though.
Dear Lord, help me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri May 30, 2014 1:21 am

The vast majority of people who enter races aren't racing anybody except maybe themselves. They're there to see if they can do it, for the atmosphere, with friends, whatever. If they feel uncomfortable with the public aspect of it, that's a service races ought to provide.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri May 30, 2014 4:35 am

deerdree wrote:

A few years ago when I was starting a new job I was pretty startled to learn that not only the staff I was inheriting, but my industry counterparts, all googled me and later made mention that they couldn't find much info about me online except a bunch of race results, which then also linked to photos. :o
I didn't even speak to any races as I hadn't even started yet.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 am

I have got names and e-mails of people because I got their names off race results and pictures.
In one case, I'd have to blame their employer for putting e-mails online (a university). Once I knew where the person worked, I got their e-mail off the university web page.
Luckily, neither person minded that I stalked them.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 30, 2014 7:37 am

Marg wrote:
deerdree wrote:

A few years ago when I was starting a new job I was pretty startled to learn that not only the staff I was inheriting, but my industry counterparts, all googled me and later made mention that they couldn't find much info about me online except a bunch of race results, which then also linked to photos. :o

But was this negative to you in what way?

I realize the information is public. My question is "what's wrong with that?" Having your name googled is common when you are a job candidate - I guess some people might not think about the idea that the information is public but how is this actually harmful? My original question was "how would this information aid a stalker", as in aiding actual criminal activity? Or are people just "creeped out" by the pseudo- non-criminal "stalking"?

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 am

I guess for me my opinion is if you enter a public race, then the results are public. I have no problem with the option to hide but not sure why you'd want to.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri May 30, 2014 10:19 am

Every little bit of info can lead to another bit of info and so on and so on.It could help in tracking you down, or potentially your children, and help with identity theft.

Would somebody who left an abusive relationship want his/her abuser to know s/he was running in such and such a race and would be at the Clubhouse at 9:00 AM on Sunday morning or that s/he took up running or that s/he moved to Brampton etc. etc.? There are all kinds of scenarios where someone would not want their info tracked even if just from running races.

Even knowing you are running in a race tells me you will not be home between 9:00 and 11:00 Sunday morning. Good time to break into your house. I saw your last race you drove up in a new Bimmer so you must have money. I Googled you and got your address and now I'm going to break into your house when I know you are away. Thanks for making that so simple for me!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri May 30, 2014 11:07 am

Run without a chip or tell the timer to remove your info as soon as you cross the finish-line.

Rick C
Johnny Miles

Postby Rick C » Fri May 30, 2014 1:50 pm

drghfx wrote:
Even knowing you are running in a race tells me you will not be home between 9:00 and 11:00 Sunday morning. Good time to break into your house. I saw your last race you drove up in a new Bimmer so you must have money. I Googled you and got your address and now I'm going to break into your house when I know you are away. Thanks for making that so simple for me!

Small time criminals are generally too lazy to get up at that time of day. 8)

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 pm

jemez wrote:I used a pseudonym in a race once: Beat Beethoven & I registered as Ludwig (hoping they'd have personalized bibs; they didn't). And wasn't this the one and ONLY time I won my age group in a race!

So you're saying nobody beat Beethoven?
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri May 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Marg wrote:
deerdree wrote:

But was this negative to you in what way?

I realize the information is public. My question is "what's wrong with that?" Having your name googled is common when you are a job candidate - I guess some people might not think about the idea that the information is public but how is this actually harmful? My original question was "how would this information aid a stalker", as in aiding actual criminal activity? Or are people just "creeped out" by the pseudo- non-criminal "stalking"?

I didn't say anything about it being negative or harmful. I was expressing my surprise at their searching to find info about me and this was what they came up with.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 pm

If I google myself, the first thing is LinkedIn. Then Ultra signup. :lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

jemez
Johnny Miles

Postby jemez » Sat May 31, 2014 9:38 am

daddy_runner wrote:
jemez wrote:I used a pseudonym in a race once: Beat Beethoven & I registered as Ludwig (hoping they'd have personalized bibs; they didn't). And wasn't this the one and ONLY time I won my age group in a race!

So you're saying nobody beat Beethoven?

:lol:

Rick C
Johnny Miles

Postby Rick C » Sat May 31, 2014 12:51 pm

drghfx wrote:Every little bit of info can lead to another bit of info and so on and so on.It could help in tracking you down, or potentially your children, and help with identity theft.

Would somebody who left an abusive relationship want his/her abuser to know s/he was running in such and such a race and would be at the Clubhouse at 9:00 AM on Sunday morning or that s/he took up running or that s/he moved to Brampton etc. etc.? There are all kinds of scenarios where someone would not want their info tracked even if just from running races.

On race registration processes where there is a public list of those who will be participating, you can tick a box if you do not want your name to be on the public list. It is there for the reason you cited - avoiding abusive ex-lovers/husbands/crazy wives, or just because you feel like it. Something that is coming up more frequently is registration processes that have no public lists. Instead, they have a place where you can type in a name to see if that person is registered. Sort of public but less obvious. I would assume a person could also omit themselves from public view in that process as well.

Return to “General Running Discussion”