Running in Stanley Park

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

scottch
Percy Williams
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Running in Stanley Park

Postby scottch » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm

I am travelling to Vancouver for work for a couple of days in the summer, and everyone says I should go see Stanley Park. I thought I might go for a run in the morning some time.

I was wondering how safe is it to run in Stanley Park in the morning hours. I am from the East Coast (Nova Scotia) so I will be awake quite early each day. I thought this might be a good time to go for a run in the park, but I'm not sure how early it would be recommended to start. I understand that any time of day could be dangerous, but just looking for some advice.

Any other suggestions to go see? I will be downtown near Canada Place.

Thanks,

Scott

User avatar
bruyere
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10155
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:06 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby bruyere » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:20 pm

You should, indeed, see Stanley Park!

There WAS a sexual assault there last week, at about 8:30am, near Lost Lagoon. As far as I know, the suspect has not yet been found, though a sketch of him was released.

As unfair as it is, I'd say men likely have a bit less to worry about, but it's always good to be cautious. I've been told by both men and women that they wouldn't go on the trails in the park at dusk/dark. It does get light really early here these days, so I guess it depends on your comfort level. If you are going in the trails, maybe make sure you know where you're going. There *are* people who live in there, but that's not to say they're all dangerous/violent, of course.

Another option, avoiding the trails, is to stick to the seawall. From where you are staying, you just get on and head west. It'll take you all the way around the park, if you want, giving you stunning views of the North Shore (where I live! Wave hello!), the inlet, Lions Gate Bridge, and, if you go all the way around, English Bay and so on.

Depending on the amount of free time you have, there are lots things to see and do! I used to work by Canada Place. Do just wander around there a bit. I recommend Mink for chocolate, Mahony & Sons pub for the view (and a mediocre beer selection), Rogue for pretty decent food in a pretty nice setting.

There's lots more, but I'm not sure it's worth mentioning, if you only have a couple of days and might be tied up with work for a lot of it. Let us know!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

User avatar
daddy_runner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm

I visited Vancouver a few years ago, and didn't think twice about running the interior trails. But I'm a guy, and I was pretty ignorant about anybody living in there.

There were a lot of people running along the sea wall in the morning. And a few skinny-dippers.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Running in Stanley Park

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:43 pm

What Bruyere said pretty much is what I would say. I love the seawall and run there as often as I can. I do like the trails too but I don't do the trails alone; I also wouldn't do the Stanley Park seawall alone early in the morning because there are some parts with no "escape route". I just don't feel comfortable there alone. Also, depending on which way you want to go- the entire seawall route along English Bay, False Creek, and along the beaches to UBC are all very nice (although there is one part between Kits and Jericho beaches where you can't actually run along the water and have to go through the neighbourhoods). Any of those places I would run pretty much any time of the day.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Randi
Johnny Miles
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby Randi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm

I hope it's ok to chime in. I visit Vancouver every now and again for work and pleasure. Also stay near Canada Place. I usually run at about 6:00am or so. Run from hotel down a couple of blocks to Canada Place. Run around it. Then I head West along the path down by the water to the entrance to Stanley Park and back. It' s about a 7km route. It is an awesome run...... Looking at the mountains to the North, passing through Coal Harbour, seeing sea planes landing and taking off on my way back. Wishing I lived on one of the houseboats docked or in one of the condos along the waterfront :) I guess it depends on how far you want to run in the morning though. This route worked well for me. I usually don't have a lot of time for sight seeing when there for business. But... Love walking around and finding all the great Food Truck vendors they have there :)

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:28 pm

+1 on the "stick to the seawall".

The hardest thing about Stanley Park if you don't know it is how to finish the loop (e.g. how to get across the duck's neck). I usually go up Chilco which is a very quiet street and which links up with the pedestrian underpass under Georgia. Or if I'm staying closer to Burrard, I run all the way along Sunset beach and then up Burrard or Thurlow.

http://broadwayrunclub.com/wp-content/u ... p_1200.jpg
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

scottch
Percy Williams
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby scottch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:19 am

bruyere wrote:You should, indeed, see Stanley Park!

There WAS a sexual assault there last week, at about 8:30am, near Lost Lagoon. As far as I know, the suspect has not yet been found, though a sketch of him was released.

As unfair as it is, I'd say men likely have a bit less to worry about, but it's always good to be cautious. I've been told by both men and women that they wouldn't go on the trails in the park at dusk/dark. It does get light really early here these days, so I guess it depends on your comfort level. If you are going in the trails, maybe make sure you know where you're going. There *are* people who live in there, but that's not to say they're all dangerous/violent, of course.

Another option, avoiding the trails, is to stick to the seawall. From where you are staying, you just get on and head west. It'll take you all the way around the park, if you want, giving you stunning views of the North Shore (where I live! Wave hello!), the inlet, Lions Gate Bridge, and, if you go all the way around, English Bay and so on.


I am heading in on a Sunday and should be there around noon. If I run the trails, I will try and plan for Sunday afternoon when there should be a lot of people around. I am flying in with some others as well for the conference so I guess it depends if I can sneak away from the group to explore a little on my own. Or see if they want to join me.

I was thinking about doing a little geocaching as well, but maybe not such a great idea unless I do that during the main part of the day as well. No sense walking freely into the thick of the bush on your own trying to stay out of sight. Probably asking for trouble there.

I wonder how much I can squeeze into an afternoon.

bruyere wrote:Depending on the amount of free time you have, there are lots things to see and do! I used to work by Canada Place. Do just wander around there a bit. I recommend Mink for chocolate, Mahony & Sons pub for the view (and a mediocre beer selection), Rogue for pretty decent food in a pretty nice setting.

There's lots more, but I'm not sure it's worth mentioning, if you only have a couple of days and might be tied up with work for a lot of it. Let us know!


I am only there from Sunday to leaving Wednesday night (red-eye) so don't have a lot of time. I figured the Sunday afternoon and then mornings are the best chances to get out.

The conference is at the Convention Center so I will be sure to stop into Mahony & Sons for a bite to eat.

I will also definitely check out the chocolate store. I would be in deep trouble if I didn't bring home some chocolate when there is a store that close. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

scottch
Percy Williams
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby scottch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:50 am

daddy_runner wrote:I visited Vancouver a few years ago, and didn't think twice about running the interior trails. But I'm a guy, and I was pretty ignorant about anybody living in there.

There were a lot of people running along the sea wall in the morning. And a few skinny-dippers.

Perhaps not asking the question would have been better so I could have remained ignorant of the dangers. I am hoping there will be lots of people around as to not worry about it.

Jwolf wrote:What Bruyere said pretty much is what I would say. I love the seawall and run there as often as I can. I do like the trails too but I don't do the trails alone; I also wouldn't do the Stanley Park seawall alone early in the morning because there are some parts with no "escape route". I just don't feel comfortable there alone. Also, depending on which way you want to go- the entire seawall route along English Bay, False Creek, and along the beaches to UBC are all very nice (although there is one part between Kits and Jericho beaches where you can't actually run along the water and have to go through the neighbourhoods). Any of those places I would run pretty much any time of the day.

Thanks for the mention about the no escape routes. Well, maybe the morning runs will be more along the waterfront near the Convention Center and up towards Coal Harbour and I will save Stanley park for Sunday afternoon as a way to stretch out after the long flight. I am just getting back into running after numerous pains and not sure if I could run the whole loop of the seawall. Perhaps I should plan ahead a little more than I was originally thinking as there could be a good chance I will have to cut back through the park.

Randi wrote:I hope it's ok to chime in. I visit Vancouver every now and again for work and pleasure. Also stay near Canada Place. I usually run at about 6:00am or so. Run from hotel down a couple of blocks to Canada Place. Run around it. Then I head West along the path down by the water to the entrance to Stanley Park and back. It' s about a 7km route. It is an awesome run...... Looking at the mountains to the North, passing through Coal Harbour, seeing sea planes landing and taking off on my way back. Wishing I lived on one of the houseboats docked or in one of the condos along the waterfront :) I guess it depends on how far you want to run in the morning though. This route worked well for me. I usually don't have a lot of time for sight seeing when there for business. But... Love walking around and finding all the great Food Truck vendors they have there :)

Absolutely OK to chime in. I am staying at the Marriott a couple of blocks from Canada Place so this sounds like a perfect option for a morning run. It keeps me close to the hotel if I run into problems. My ankles have been killing me since I have been back on a soccer field coaching my kids soccer. Reminds me why I stopped playing in the first place from the years of abuse I put them through.

turd ferguson wrote:+1 on the "stick to the seawall".

The hardest thing about Stanley Park if you don't know it is how to finish the loop (e.g. how to get across the duck's neck). I usually go up Chilco which is a very quiet street and which links up with the pedestrian underpass under Georgia. Or if I'm staying closer to Burrard, I run all the way along Sunset beach and then up Burrard or Thurlow.

http://broadwayrunclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/stanleypark_overviewmap_1200.jpg

Thanks for the map of the park. I have been meaning to look for one. I like that it shows the km markings around the seawall.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Scott

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46890
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 am

to be honest I think some people's fears about stanley park trails are rather unfounded.

Yes an assault happened last week but that was like... the first one in the 5 years I've lived here? At least the first one that made the news.

Homeless people in general aren't violent; they're just surviving. I have encountered the odd drunk guy yelling at us in the evenings in the park. If we don't engage them in conversation and just leave, no issues.

as a girl I wouldn't run around in there at night by myself. But in the day time? No worries.

You're more likely to get turned around and lost in the trails if you've never been there. :)

In any case, sticking to the seawall is a sure bet. The whole loop around the park is roughly 9km, and add the distance to/from Canada Place.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

User avatar
bnn
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5881
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:57 am

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby bnn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:34 pm

To me if you're in vancouver - run the seawall. So much to see. Your colleagues may be more willing to tour Stanley park and get out and see the sights and that may be a better way to do both. Just my two cents... prairie girl who loves Van City.
Just call me the thread killa

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 pm

ultraslacker wrote:to be honest I think some people's fears about stanley park trails are rather unfounded.
..
Homeless people in general aren't violent; they're just surviving. I have encountered the odd drunk guy yelling at us in the evenings in the park. If we don't engage them in conversation and just leave, no issues.


Fair enough. Maybe I do overreact.

ultraslacker wrote:as a girl I wouldn't run around in there at night by myself. But in the day time? No worries.


Some days you give me a headache.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Dstew
Bill Crothers
Posts: 3435
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby Dstew » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:23 pm

I have run the sea wall only a few times and first thing in the morning before business meetings when in Vancouver over night and quite enjoyed it. I was just as the sun was rising and it was sort of freaky how deserted it was. But the scenery quickly distracted away from that. Ignorance is bliss as little did I realized how much my life was in danger. :wink:

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46890
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:37 am

turd ferguson wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:as a girl I wouldn't run around in there at night by myself. But in the day time? No worries.


Some days you give me a headache.


??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:34 am

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:as a girl I wouldn't run around in there at night by myself. But in the day time? No worries.


Some days you give me a headache.


??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


1. People horribly overstate the risks of the park
2. I wouldn't run there alone

I don't get it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46890
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 pm

I said AT NIGHT I wouldn't run there alone. Read my post again. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46890
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:10 pm

also, I didn't say "horribly overstated".

But thanks for the heads up that I give you headaches. :/
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

scottch
Percy Williams
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby scottch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

I was in Vancouver there at the beginning of the week for the conference. I had a chance to wander (walking) around Stanley Park for the afternoon on Sunday after I arrived. The park is beautiful. I weather was great and I loved how everyone was out with their families enjoying a picnic and just being outdoors. It was nice to see so many people being active. Not sure if it is just because of the proximity to the seawall and Stanley park or part of the culture of Vancouver in general. It almost draws you out to walk/run/bike.

I did go for runs along the seawall early in the morning. I was still on Nova Scotia time (up at 4:00 every morning) so thought I would head out at 5am. The seawall run is awesome especially as the sun is coming up and the cruise ships were coming in. There were also many people out walking, running and biking that early so it never felt isolating or concerning.

Managed to head to a couple of restaurants as well. Mahoney and Sons, Carderos and Cactus Cafe. All were decent, but they all have great views to sit and enjoy looking over the water and the activity.

Hopefully I can get there again sometime.

Scott

User avatar
bruyere
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10155
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:06 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: Running in Stanley Park

Postby bruyere » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:36 pm

scottch wrote:Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

I was in Vancouver there at the beginning of the week for the conference. I had a chance to wander (walking) around Stanley Park for the afternoon on Sunday after I arrived. The park is beautiful. I weather was great and I loved how everyone was out with their families enjoying a picnic and just being outdoors. It was nice to see so many people being active. Not sure if it is just because of the proximity to the seawall and Stanley park or part of the culture of Vancouver in general. It almost draws you out to walk/run/bike.

I did go for runs along the seawall early in the morning. I was still on Nova Scotia time (up at 4:00 every morning) so thought I would head out at 5am. The seawall run is awesome especially as the sun is coming up and the cruise ships were coming in. There were also many people out walking, running and biking that early so it never felt isolating or concerning.

Managed to head to a couple of restaurants as well. Mahoney and Sons, Carderos and Cactus Cafe. All were decent, but they all have great views to sit and enjoy looking over the water and the activity.

Hopefully I can get there again sometime.

Scott

All sounds about right! (Save for the lack of a visit to Mink for chocolate. ;) ) Glad you enjoyed!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests