Russian Doping allegations

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Russian Doping allegations

Postby purdy65 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:39 am

Wow! I think this may just be the tip of the iceberg.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/athletics/30324812
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Re: Russian Doping allegations

Postby Tori » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 am

I am so not surprised. I figure this has been going on the whole time since they were in the USSR. It is so common in cross country skiing and biathlon. They seem to get caught every so often but you don't hear much about it in N.America since those are not super popular sports here. I have always just assumed a large number of racers are blood doping in any of the races. There are other countries too who I think have programs going on like this too.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:23 pm

I would not be surprised if this applied to virtually every country, including Canada. When there is money, ego and/or jobs on the line, people will do a lot of shady things. Wasn't it somebody on here a while ago who said his/her niece got out of completive amateur sports because of the pressure on her to take PEDs?
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 pm

There’s a well-known survey in sports, known as the Goldman Dilemma. For it, a researcher, Bob Goldman, began asking elite athletes in the 1980s whether they would take a drug that guaranteed them a gold medal but would also kill them within five years. More than half of the athletes said yes. When he repeated the survey biannually for the next decade, the results were always the same. About half of the athletes were quite ready to take the bargain.

Return to “General Running Discussion”