Removal of certain T&F events from Olympics?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ian
Jerome Drayton

Removal of certain T&F events from Olympics?

Postby ian » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:30 pm

http://running.competitor.com/2014/12/news/report-ioc-considers-dropping-10000-meters-from-olympics_119760

Some thoughts:
- This is probably a discussion that happens after every Olympics and doesn't necessarily indicate that a change is imminent.
- I'm glad that the article also mentioned swimming, as this is the sport with the biggest glut of events.
- If the 10K were to be removed from the Olympics, I suspect we'd see even more athletes spending their prime years running marathons.
- Between the professional opportunities available to many athletes outside of the Olympics and the migration of the games to corrupt locales, the bubble may be about to burst anyway.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Removal of certain T&F events from Olympics?

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:05 pm

The Olympic race isn't 10k, its 10000m. (not wanting to imply that the one that's in the Olympics is a road race).

Actually I'd be OK with adding the 10k road race and the half marathon to the Olympics. More road events. And trail running events.

What should be cut? I don't disagree that there's a glut of swimming medals. Would anyone miss yachting if it were gone - it seems like one of those high cost - low profile events that would be prime to be cut. And nobody even knows which sports are in the heptathlon, or even what "hept" stands for.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 pm

turd ferguson wrote:The Olympic race isn't 10k, its 10000m. (not wanting to imply that the one that's in the Olympics is a road race).

Actually I'd be OK with adding the 10k road race and the half marathon to the Olympics. More road events. And trail running events.

What should be cut? I don't disagree that there's a glut of swimming medals. Would anyone miss yachting if it were gone - it seems like one of those high cost - low profile events that would be prime to be cut. And nobody even knows which sports are in the heptathlon, or even what "hept" stands for.

(I didn't realize that "K" automatically signified "road race" and couldn't just be used as an abbreviation for something with a lot of zeros.)

I'd be surprised if the new events under consideration had anything to do with running. More likely, they're thinking TV-friendly things like golf, X-games-type stuff, or pillow fighting.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 pm

ian wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:The Olympic race isn't 10k, its 10000m. (not wanting to imply that the one that's in the Olympics is a road race).

(I didn't realize that "K" automatically signified "road race" and couldn't just be used as an abbreviation for something with a lot of zeros.)

I'd be surprised if the new events under consideration had anything to do with running. More likely, they're thinking TV-friendly things like golf, X-games-type stuff, or pillow fighting.

That's my understanding - how the IAAF has separate records for 10000m (track) vs. 10k (road). But I also cringe at saying something like "10000m isn't the same thing as 10k".

http://www.iaaf.org/records/by-category/world-records

I think you're right on TV-friendly sports. Road racing (like the half) is hugely popular as a participation sport but is quite dull to watch.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:36 pm

turd ferguson wrote:That's my understanding - how the IAAF has separate records for 10000m (track) vs. 10k (road). But I also cringe at saying something like "10000m isn't the same thing as 10k".
That's my understanding too, track vs road. Wouldn't you agree that 25 laps around a track is a fair bit different from 10 km on the road?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:00 pm

I think it makes sense to cut back track and field a bit in order to include some other sports. Right now they are looking at re-including baseball and softball, which are under the same governing body, but face some political issues. Some others are golf and squash. They are also considering axing modern pentathlon, synchronized swimming, race walking (part of track and field) and badminton among others.

I couldn't see them adding events in athletics like more road races or trail races.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Add a trial race to the mountain bike course? Now of course the popular trial race is an ultra and so ... :D

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:38 am

I'd like to contribute to this discussion but I haven't moved past pillow fighting yet.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:16 pm

The Age reports that five track and field events—the 200 meters, 10,000 meters, a men’s race walk event (most likely the 20K, reports the newspaper), the shot put and the triple jump—are on the chopping block

How did race walking ever make it in... it's such a goofy thing.

I mean any sport where this is a controversy...

Going as fast as you can on foot makes sense, going as fast as you can with the restriction that one foot always has to be on the ground seems odd and arbitrary. Send it back to the fringe where it belongs!

Oh and bring back baseball. And softball.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:54 pm

I'd like to see Lacrosse make a return to the olympics, it was last a demonstration sport in 1948.

There were 38 nations participating in the worlds this year, so it's becoming more widespread, and Canada won! :)
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

Return to “General Running Discussion”