"Can't think of a suitable T word" Tuesday . . .

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

NMG
Bill Crothers

"Can't think of a suitable T word" Tuesday . . .

Postby NMG » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 pm

A little over 16K for me in the greenbelt this morning. Started off in a bit of freezing drizzle, but the conditions were actually really nice all thing considered. Most parts of the trail were packed down enough that footing wasn't too bad if I kept my pace nice and slow, which I did. Had a number of slips and slides, but no falls and no real issues. Felt great actually!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: "Can't think of a suitable T word" Tuesday . . .

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:37 pm

treadmill tuesday for me - got in this week's interval workout! 8 KM in 43 minutes
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Easy 14K, legs still feeling the weekend mileage.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Can't think of a suitable word either!

I'm feeling like Christmas came early since I've actually started to run again. Just a bit, but it feels so good! Sunday was the annual Solstice Run, and I knew that even though my treatment provider has been encouraging me to run, that 10 km was really pushing the limits. But, I talked to him and agreed that if my foot started to hurt, I would stop and walk out the rest of the distance. Also, I didn't just jump out of the car and start running, like back in the good old days, ha ha. I was up and doing things around the house for a couple of hours, then did my heel stretches, and walked the first 5 minutes of the run. Then did the rest at an easy pace, using 5s and 1s. Amazingly, my foot did not hurt even a little bit, and I'm not even sure that it had any discomfort. Unfortunately, despite stretching and icing, it did start to hurt shortly after. But not as much as it used to, and by Monday morning there was just mild discomfort.

The rule I've been given is to run no more often than every other day, and leave a longer interval if my foot hurts. It felt fine this morning so I tried a (much shorter) run on the TM. 10 minutes of walking, followed by three sets of 5s and 1s, followed by 10 minutes of walking. About halfway through the third interval, I could feel some discomfort (not pain) and figured that after stressing things on Sunday it would be smarter to stop at three sets. By the end of the second 10 minutes there was no discomfort at all but I ended the workout anyway. The usual stretching and icing, and unfortunately some discomfort followed, but it's mostly gone now.

So, this is huge progress. I am impatient but need to be patient and build back in a controlled manner. Some discomfort is okay and is actually inevitable, as the repaired tendon is shorter and I need to stretch it out and get used to running. But any true pain is a sign to take a step back. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference so will try to err on the side of caution. It is frustrating that for the most part, nothing hurts until after I've finished running. Today was an exception, probably because of the longer run on Sunday. But the delayed reaction makes it hard to know how much is too much.

Anyway, there is a light at the end of the injury tunnel. Could be the best Christmas present ever. :)

And with that, early Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays wishes to all of you wonderful running people!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Great news Jacqueline, what a great Christmas gift!!

6 miles for me outside...enjoying these mild temperatures for sure!!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:49 pm

10 miles with my friend Mike as a tune up for Friday's Hamilton Boxing Day 10 Miler.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:37 pm

running? what's that again???

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:20 pm

10 k on the tm this morning. A cold visited me over night so I decided to stay indoors.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Spin class done. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:21 pm

10k in the rain!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:Can't think of a suitable word either!

I'm feeling like Christmas came early since I've actually started to run again. Just a bit, but it feels so good! Sunday was the annual Solstice Run, and I knew that even though my treatment provider has been encouraging me to run, that 10 km was really pushing the limits. But, I talked to him and agreed that if my foot started to hurt, I would stop and walk out the rest of the distance. Also, I didn't just jump out of the car and start running, like back in the good old days, ha ha. I was up and doing things around the house for a couple of hours, then did my heel stretches, and walked the first 5 minutes of the run. Then did the rest at an easy pace, using 5s and 1s. Amazingly, my foot did not hurt even a little bit, and I'm not even sure that it had any discomfort. Unfortunately, despite stretching and icing, it did start to hurt shortly after. But not as much as it used to, and by Monday morning there was just mild discomfort.

The rule I've been given is to run no more often than every other day, and leave a longer interval if my foot hurts. It felt fine this morning so I tried a (much shorter) run on the TM. 10 minutes of walking, followed by three sets of 5s and 1s, followed by 10 minutes of walking. About halfway through the third interval, I could feel some discomfort (not pain) and figured that after stressing things on Sunday it would be smarter to stop at three sets. By the end of the second 10 minutes there was no discomfort at all but I ended the workout anyway. The usual stretching and icing, and unfortunately some discomfort followed, but it's mostly gone now.

So, this is huge progress. I am impatient but need to be patient and build back in a controlled manner. Some discomfort is okay and is actually inevitable, as the repaired tendon is shorter and I need to stretch it out and get used to running. But any true pain is a sign to take a step back. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference so will try to err on the side of caution. It is frustrating that for the most part, nothing hurts until after I've finished running. Today was an exception, probably because of the longer run on Sunday. But the delayed reaction makes it hard to know how much is too much.

Anyway, there is a light at the end of the injury tunnel. Could be the best Christmas present ever. :)

And with that, early Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays wishes to all of you wonderful running people!

Yay JB! Good news.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:58 pm

I'll call mine tourist tuesday, in honour (?) of the absolutely clueless tourist I saw on the trail today.

He was in an area that is normally well-traveled (though not today), but headed away from civilization. He stopped me to ask for directions and I pointed him the right way but he did not go that way and continued walking in the wrong direction. He didn't speak english so all I got from him was "bus?" and "thank you", and he was walking away from the bus. Something also seemed just a bit off with him, so when I got back to the gate I told the ranger, who said they'd go take a look for him.

Last thing we need is more tourists getting lost in the forest. :/

Anyway, I ran 8km but it was a crappy run. Legs felt off, feet felt off, and my left hip has been bothering me (not sure what that's about).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”