Athletics Canada standards for Rio 2016

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ian
Jerome Drayton

Athletics Canada standards for Rio 2016

Postby ian » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:24 pm

Women's marathon: 2:29:50. This is 5 seconds faster than in 2012, but Krista Duchene is still 13 seconds under and Lanni Marchant (if healthy) should have no problem getting there as well. A third qualifier would be a longshot, but one name to watch would be Natasha Wodak (1:11:20 HM in March).

Men's marathon: 2:12:50! This is 80 seconds slower than 2012, so Reid Coolsaet's recent 2:11:24 is clear. At this pace, it may not just be a simple yes/no for Reid, Eric Gillis, and Dylan Wykes, but perhaps a top-3 race unfolds involving the likes of Rob Watson (2:13:29 PB), Kip Kangogo (2:15:35 PB).

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Athletics Canada standards for Rio 2016

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:14 am

Yay! Krista squeaks in. I hope she formally gets named to the team. I also see a couple of other men with the lowering of their standard.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Natasha Wodak set a Canadian record in the 10,000m today and qualified for the Olympics. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed May 06, 2015 2:14 pm

ian wrote:Men's marathon: 2:12:50! This is 80 seconds slower than 2012, so Reid Coolsaet's recent 2:11:24 is clear. At this pace, it may not just be a simple yes/no for Reid, Eric Gillis, and Dylan Wykes, but perhaps a top-3 race unfolds involving the likes of Rob Watson (2:13:29 PB), Kip Kangogo (2:15:35 PB).

I actually saw Dylan on Saturday at the BMO Marathon expo and had a brief chat before his duties called, he told me about the qualifying times had just been released. He was actually very hopeful as he's coming back from an injury in the fall and having to pull out of Boston early in to the race. He fells very hopeful that he can meet the mark and has two chances in mind. He would not disclose, nor did I ask, but my guess is Toronto in October will be one of the races.

Rob looked really strong in the Half on Sunday; as I saw him at the start, around the 8K mark and at the finish. Both Rob and Dylan train together in Vancouver and I saw a tweet from Rob that said his focus was now being put towards Toronto in October. He is also coming of an injury as well.

Kip looked strong in the marathon at the finish coming 3rd, but he will need shave about 6-7min off his BMO time this year to qualify for Rio.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 06, 2015 2:18 pm

It's probably no secret probably that I'd love to see Dylan get to Rio.
But to be honest what I wish most for him is to be happy and healthy...and oh yeah....best Jerome Drayton's time :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed May 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:It's probably no secret probably that I'd love to see Dylan get to Rio.
But to be honest what I wish most for him is to be happy and healthy...and oh yeah....best Jerome Drayton's time :D :D

An see baby Sasha on Thursday when he is in Kingston! :wink:
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Stampie wrote:
ian wrote:Men's marathon: 2:12:50! This is 80 seconds slower than 2012, so Reid Coolsaet's recent 2:11:24 is clear. At this pace, it may not just be a simple yes/no for Reid, Eric Gillis, and Dylan Wykes, but perhaps a top-3 race unfolds involving the likes of Rob Watson (2:13:29 PB), Kip Kangogo (2:15:35 PB).

I actually saw Dylan on Saturday at the BMO Marathon expo and had a brief chat before his duties called, he told me about the qualifying times had just been released. He was actually very hopeful as he's coming back from an injury in the fall and having to pull out of Boston early in to the race. He fells very hopeful that he can meet the mark and has two chances in mind. He would not disclose, nor did I ask, but my guess is Toronto in October will be one of the races.

Rob looked really strong in the Half on Sunday; as I saw him at the start, around the 8K mark and at the finish. Both Rob and Dylan train together in Vancouver and I saw a tweet from Rob that said his focus was now being put towards Toronto in October. He is also coming of an injury as well.

Kip looked strong in the marathon at the finish coming 3rd, but he will need shave about 6-7min off his BMO time this year to qualify for Rio.

Rob is actually running Ottawa in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure about Scotia. I would guess it depends on how Ottawa goes. Also, at the moment he is training in West Virginia with his brother I think? (That is just a temporary thing) FYI, he has a hilarious podcast - check it out.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 06, 2015 3:09 pm

purdy65 wrote:
Stampie wrote:

Rob is actually running Ottawa in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure about Scotia. I would guess it depends on how Ottawa goes. Also, at the moment he is training in West Virginia with his brother I think? (That is just a temporary thing) FYI, he has a hilarious podcast - check it out.

Agree...Rob is hilarious!!!
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Stampie wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:It's probably no secret probably that I'd love to see Dylan get to Rio.

An see baby Sasha on Thursday when he is in Kingston! :wink:

Yep. Spoke with Francine this am. Ms. Sasha is still on Van time...she was up until after midnight last night. She should be in fine form at the Kingston Brew Pub tomorrow :lol: :lol:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed May 06, 2015 3:49 pm

purdy65 wrote:Rob is actually running Ottawa in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure about Scotia. I would guess it depends on how Ottawa goes. Also, at the moment he is training in West Virginia with his brother I think? (That is just a temporary thing) FYI, he has a hilarious podcast - check it out.

All the top Canadian men will probably be looking toward Toronto in the fall on account of:
(1) a reasonably fast course that, other than a bit of wind, tends to have good running weather
(2) full travel and accommodation comps
(3) dedicated pacers for their specific goals
(4) a significant cash bonus if Drayton's record falls

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed May 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Now that there is that 80 second cushion it is time to gear up my training. That is only 1:07 off my PB. Time to introduce some intervals or something to push me over the top. Of course the margin is 1 hour and 7 minutes not 1 minute and 7 seconds off, but still gotta dream. Thanks for giving me hope, Athletics Canada. Would be fun to go to Rio.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
purdy65 wrote: FYI, he has a hilarious podcast - check it out.

Agree...Rob is hilarious!!!

No argument here. He had me on the floor laughing when I was at package pick-up for the First Half back in February. The banter between Rob & Dylan was rather comical.

FYI Ian... Rob is also a craft beer enthusiast, raising a pint of Stanley Park Brewing Amber at the awards ceremony. I noted the cask at the VIP area in the finish chute.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Return to “General Running Discussion”