Not another one...?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Not another one...?

Postby ian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:10 pm

turd ferguson wrote:So what we need is a hierarchy of doping. If someone is cute and inspirational, all is forgiven. If someone is inspirational but kind of a dick, we'll support them for a while before turning on them (Armstrong). If someone is a total dick, we don't even need a positive test before turning on them. (Clemens, Bonds).

There's a lot of truth to this perception. I guess we figure that being a dick is a character flaw that correlates with other character flaws such as the propensity to cheat in sports. I have no idea if that correlation actually exists.

Side story — when I lived in Victoria a decade ago, one of my friends there lived next to Silken Laumann. Without getting into specifics, let's just say that she was one of the least friendly people he'd ever come across.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:53 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
canalrunner wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:But we like Clara Hughes, she is inspirational and she is Canadian. That is the difference.

I tend to agree. We loved Silken Laumann, too.

And Ben Johnson for 9.79 seconds. Love to hear an explanation of the silent acceptance of the silent sanction. Odd passive acceptance.

So what we need is a hierarchy of doping. If someone is cute and inspirational, all is forgiven. If someone is inspirational but kind of a dick, we'll support them for a while before turning on them (Armstrong). If someone is a total dick, we don't even need a positive test before turning on them. (Clemens, Bonds).

+1 This is strong analysis. Except Lance was undeniably a dick. I'd put Alberto Salazar in the same category. And it is why Kara Goucher is on the side of the angels.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:49 am

canalrunner wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
canalrunner wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:But we like Clara Hughes, she is inspirational and she is Canadian. That is the difference.

I tend to agree. We loved Silken Laumann, too.

And Ben Johnson for 9.79 seconds. Love to hear an explanation of the silent acceptance of the silent sanction. Odd passive acceptance.

So what we need is a hierarchy of doping. If someone is cute and inspirational, all is forgiven. If someone is inspirational but kind of a dick, we'll support them for a while before turning on them (Armstrong). If someone is a total dick, we don't even need a positive test before turning on them. (Clemens, Bonds).

+1 This is strong analysis. Except Lance was undeniably a dick. I'd put Alberto Salazar in the same category. And it is why Kara Goucher is on the side of the angels.

Armstrong was able to create and maintain a certain public persona so as to hide the true self. Once that came out, then sponsors and rest dropped him quickly but for as long as he was seen as good guy.

The other addendum is the Pettitte clause: If caught, you admit you took the drugs but felt really, really, really bad for doing so. Apologize for being human and then have your number retired and be remembered for your four seam fastball. My personal opinion, if Clara had come out and said, not really sure how it got into my system but my bad for not being more aware of what I ingesting and it never happened again, the story would have likely died on the vine. People could have bought into, it was one time, accidental but nothing like Armstrong. But to say, I did not know what a well known stimulate was and they must have made a mistake and it was someone else's sample, that stretches all credibility. And with her explanation, human nature or at least mine goes to how many other secret test results or did she just get smarter about the what and when she was taking, etc. If you are going to make a confession, do it right. People love a story of contrition and redemption. I did it one time because I was not feeling it for that race. It did not help me so I worked harder the prayed to god more and people would be pushing each other aside to forgive her and call her an inspiration. Instead, as coworker once commented on a very bad policy for the workers, you can cover bullsh*t in expensive and dark chocolate but it is still bullsh*t.

Return to “General Running Discussion”