Sad story

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Sad story

Postby canalrunner » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:49 am

Unfortunate story. I know my wife has bugged me about carrying ID when I run, perhaps this story is the nudge I need to actually do it. My thoughts are with the family of the runner.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ot ... -1.3230070

Ottawa police seek help to identify runner who collapsed, died Tuesday
Man who appeared to be avid runner collapsed on Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway Tuesday morning
CBC News Posted: Sep 16, 2015 6:53 AM ET| Last Updated: Sep 16, 2015 7:18 AM ET

Ottawa police are asking for the public's help to identify a man who collapsed while running along the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway late Tuesday morning and later died. The runner collapsed on the parkway at Woodroffe Avenue at about 11:15 a.m., police said in a media release issued Tuesday night.The man, who was unconscious, was found by a passing cyclist, police said. The runner had no identification on him.
He was taken to hospital in critical condition, paramedics said, and was later pronounced dead.He is described by police as a tanned white man, between the ages of 65 and 75, who appeared to be an avid runner. He was wearing a pair of red Nike running shorts, white New Balance running shoes and a white visor hat with a "Jasper Park Lodge" logo embroidered on it. Witnesses told police the man was regularly seen running in the parkway area.
Anyone with information is asked to call Ottawa police at 613-236-1222, ext. 2666.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Sad story

Postby Jwolf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:16 am

Very sad indeed.

I almost always have my phone with me but should be better about carrying ID on short runs.

One thing that's good if you have an iPhone is that you can put your info in the "health" app and it will be accessible through the emergency screen (even when the phone is locked). I hope emergency workers actually know this, though. There are similar things you can put on Android devices.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 am

Very sad. I hope that they are able to find this poor man's family.

I wear a Road ID bracelet 24/7. It has my name, two contact people and what med I take daily. I also have a line about having a low pulse rate, since I tend to set off monitor alarms and I don't want them trying to speed up my HR with drugs.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:00 pm

I pretty well wear mine all the time now, whether running with my running Peeps and especially alone ..

Have a few of them .. but, just have my Family's names on my with their respective telephone numbers ... As I live alone, no point wearing my old one where it had my home info on it, eh !!!! Ha !!! :shifty: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Heard this on the radio this morning - so sad. I was really bad about this for a long time, and got a road ID about 2 years ago. Like some others, I actually keep it on almost all the time so that I don't have to worry about forgetting to put it on when commuting etc.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:21 pm

I wear my road ID 24/7. I used to try to remember to bring ID while cycling but would forget more often than remember.
I work in a small hospital ER and we would not be wasting time fussing with a phone looking for ID.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:I wear my road ID 24/7. I used to try to remember to bring ID while cycling but would forget more often than remember.
I work in a small hospital ER and we would not be wasting time fussing with a phone looking for ID.

but the cops would if they need to ID someone.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:18 pm

those who were here years ago will remember that a bunch of us got the roadid pendant style (like a dogtag) with the RM logo on the front. I just checked now and they still have the RM logo in their club catalogue for customization, if anyone wants one! :)

I haven't worn mine in years... I usually carry my driver's licence though.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:24 pm

ultraslacker wrote:those who were here years ago will remember that a bunch of us got the roadid pendant style (like a dogtag) with the RM logo on the front. I just checked now and they still have the RM logo in their club catalogue for customization, if anyone wants one! :)

Do you have a link?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:those who were here years ago will remember that a bunch of us got the roadid pendant style (like a dogtag) with the RM logo on the front. I just checked now and they still have the RM logo in their club catalogue for customization, if anyone wants one! :)

Do you have a link?

this is the product:
https://www.roadid.com/p/the-FIXX-ID

and then you have to click to "build your id" and when it gives you the option of the picture, click on "clubs and races" and then scroll down and you'll see the RM running man :)

Also now you could get the orange frame ("silencer"), which we didn't have at the time:

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Very sad indeed, I heard the story today on the news. I hope that someone will recognize him so that he can be put to rest properly and so his family can be informed.

I'm very irresponsible when it comes to carrying ID. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever had any identification on me when I run. Will definitely check out that roadid product. Thanks for sharing the link.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:34 pm

So sad.

I am always sure to carry ID on me. I hope it never has to be used but I couldn't imagine going for a run, having something happen and my family not knowing right away.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:41 pm

I just ordered the Road ID dog tag (the FIXX ID). Running Mania logo and with Spencer's mantra KEEP GOING NEVER GIVE UP.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:27 am

I've been meaning to get a new Road ID, so this thread is definitely a reminder to do so. Has he been identified yet? I hope so, for the sake of his family and friends.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:13 am

I admit, I often forget to put mine on....try to remember, especially for the long ones. I also have to change the contact person, depending on where I am, because I'm single...

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:29 am

I heard on CBC this morning they were still trying to identify him.

I use the RoadID that goes into my sneaker's laces and stays there: https://www.roadid.com/p/the-Shoe-ID
It has contact info for three people, that I have asthma and an allergy.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:19 am

I use my Road ID all the time and that was what I got my dad for Christmas last year.
IMC 2015

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 am

Annelizabeth wrote:I work in a small hospital ER and we would not be wasting time fussing with a phone looking for ID.

Two different things, IMO. Knowing who someone is isn't an urgent matter. Knowing their medical history is, so I can see why having some type of ID with your health info handy (as opposed to on your phone where it's not as easily accessible) would be valuable.

My RoadID is the virtual one (has a bracelet with a code to get info on-line), but I haven't renewed my subscription. The idea being that it makes it easier to update without having to get a new RoadID. But as you said, if the situation is urgent, then it's not very practical.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Sad story

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 am

I was just looking for my dog tag and couldn't find it... I should really wear it.

Eta: found it, wore it, and will wear it from now on. This also reminds me to put my lights on my bike - day or night.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Sad story

Postby toobusy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:38 am

Not all iPhones have the new med thing.
Last edited by toobusy on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:39 am

My wife gave me a Road ID and I wear it for every run. I think it's especially useful if you are on vacation.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:I admit, I often forget to put mine on....try to remember, especially for the long ones. I also have to change the contact person, depending on where I am, because I'm single...

I have my mom's home phone number on mine because it never changes and like you, single and living alone!

I haven't worn mine in years tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:17 pm

toobusy wrote:Not all iPhones have the new med thing.

Anything running or capable of running iOS 8 or above. Which would be 4S and later.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Carrie lost her **** with me a while back when she found out I'd been running all over New York City and Tokyo with no ID whatsoever. Something about being buried in the Japanese equivalent of a potters field.

Anyway, I'm ordering a new Road ID. I think I left my old one attached to an old pair of shoes I donated recently. I hope that whoever recycles the shoes at Goodwill takes the tag off and throws it out because, if the unthinkable happens to the hobo that gets my old shoes, Carrie not be summoned to identify his body.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Just ordered one.

Thanks for reposting the link for ordering one.

I sure hope they identified this gentleman.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “General Running Discussion”