Ottawa Marathon - too hot???

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

fitmomof3
Johnny Miles

Ottawa Marathon - too hot???

Postby fitmomof3 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:14 am

I'm going to start training for my first marathon. I'm interested in the Ottawa Marathon. The course looks scenic and it would be a nice family get away. Has anyone ran this race? Is it too hot??
"I think I can, I think I can"

9 Half Marathon races: P.B.: 1:54:46
10K P.B. : 49:46

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: Ottawa Marathon - too hot???

Postby fingerboy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37 am

I was beautiful last year. The course is amazing and tons of spectators.

It was about 11c that day. Obviously at the end of May you can get any weather. There's really no guarantees.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:56 pm

It can certainly be hot. I wouldn't say it's usually so hot that it's miserable but can be warm enough that it slows you down a bit. If you're shooting aggressively for a time goal, that's a factor but if your goal is to have a great first marathon experience (and won't be terribly upset if you get a hot day and end up 5 minutes slower) then it's an awesome race.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:23 pm

It can get hot for sure, but I think the worst part is that the weather can go from cool to hot in a relatively short period of time at that point in the year.

Two years back, for example, I ran the half and it was in the low to mid 20's. Not crazy, but most of my training runs were done in single digit temps and I only really had a week or two or warmer temps to try and adjust and it just wasn't enough time for me. The warmer weather got the best of me and I crashed pretty bad.

I really enjoy race weekend though and so long as you are willing to accept that the conditions could be highly variable, I'd say go for it. I think you'd have a blast.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:13 am

NMG wrote:It can get hot for sure, but I think the worst part is that the weather can go from cool to hot in a relatively short period of time at that point in the year.

Two years back, for example, I ran the half and it was in the low to mid 20's. Not crazy, but most of my training runs were done in single digit temps and I only really had a week or two or warmer temps to try and adjust and it just wasn't enough time for me. The warmer weather got the best of me and I crashed pretty bad.

I really enjoy race weekend though and so long as you are willing to accept that the conditions could be highly variable, I'd say go for it. I think you'd have a blast.

+1

More the cool training weather than the warmth on race weekend that tends to be the factor. Same temperatures later in the season are less of a heat issue for runners. Example, 2014 was considered a hot year. Race day Mean temp was 17.2, Max was 26.2 Min was 8.2. Army Run 2014. Mean temp was 16.4 Max was 23.1 Min was 9.6. (people remember Army Run 2014 more for the rain than for the heat). Morning start times means the first part of both races--especially the marathon are cool. The race day temps can be warm but mostly compared to the time training in Feb through April. Adapting is a challenge if there is a spike.

This clearly supports a week long vacation in the south in March to help with the training. Wonder if I can get a doctor's note?
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Return to “General Running Discussion”