Man dies at Krispy Kreme donut challenge in U.S.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:18 pm

"You're in over your head Donny..."

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Man dies at Krispy Kreme donut challenge in U.S.

Postby ian » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:45 pm

You read past the headline, right? He died a mile into the race, before having had a single donut. In other words, this was a "running" incident that could have equally well happened at any other race.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Why read past the headline when you can fall into the click-bait trap?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:16 am

ian wrote:You read past the headline, right? He died a mile into the race, before having had a single donut. In other words, this was a "running" incident that could have equally well happened at any other race.

Or while riding a bike, climbing stairs, playing hockey etc... Could even have happened at a beer mile. Bit too much focus in the headline and picture on the sponsor. Not sure the heart attack successfully saved by awesome medical intervention at the end of the Scotiabank Toronto Marathon was accompanied by a picture of the bank. Expect a bit more from Canadian Running.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:09 pm

(Looks like I'll be disagreeing with everyone this weekend...)

I'm not willing to classify this headline as click-bait or poor journalism. First, it's a running magazine, so there wouldn't be a story about a heart attack that took place riding a bike, climbing stairs, playing hockey etc. Something that happens at a running event is clearly within their focus. Second, it's just a headline. I'd be open to read any suggestions, in ten words or less, which are more appropriate.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:46 pm

ian wrote:(Looks like I'll be disagreeing with everyone this weekend...)

I'm not willing to classify this headline as click-bait or poor journalism. First, it's a running magazine, so there wouldn't be a story about a heart attack that took place riding a bike, climbing stairs, playing hockey etc. Something that happens at a running event is clearly within their focus. Second, it's just a headline. I'd be open to read any suggestions, in ten words or less, which are more appropriate.

First for me: pick between the headline and picture of donut boxes Just a bit of overkill given no link between the donuts and the death--other than the sponsor. It wasn't the donut challenge part that killed him.
Second , lots of options-- Man dies running in US charity event (7) or Man dies running in Krispy Kreme run or Run not Donuts kills Man in Charity Event (if we want to blame what he was doing)
2016 Races

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:57 pm

ian wrote:(Looks like I'll be disagreeing with everyone this weekend...)

I agree with you.

On top of all that - the headline is 100% accurate.

My alternate headline for those who don't like the headline "Man dies while running but that's just a coincidence"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:41 pm

"Krispie Kreme donut challenge" is what will get crawled by the search-bots. It clearly is made to sound like it was a donut-eating contest of some sort. "Canadian Running" is obviously not beyond headline bait.

Even the picture only shows boxes of donuts and no runners.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:03 pm

The event is actually called the Krispy Kreme Challenge. Is the headline writer supposed to rename it?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:21 pm

In Canadian Running, the headline says
"Man dies at Krispy Kreme donut challenge"
It's not actually a "donut challenge" and that's not in the name of the event. So in a sense, the headline writer did rename it.

Other articles have titles like "Man dies after participating in ‘Krispy Kreme Challenge’ race" or "Runner in Krispy Kreme Challenge dies" with pictures of runners, not donuts.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:10 am

Won't someone PLEASE think of the donuts!!!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Real donut racing: Can I finish the first one before the driver side window gets all the way back up?

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:29 am

dgrant wrote:Real donut racing: Can I finish the first one before the driver side window gets all the way back up?

:lol:

I notice there's a "Donut Dash" in Vancouver, but sounds less awesome.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/pne- ... r-5km-run/

"runners will be re-energized with tasty treats throughout the course, including mini donuts, cotton candy and more"

Sounds like the donuts are optional?? Not a real tummy challenge if it's optional.

This should be more aligned to the Beer Mile. Run 400m, eat a donut, repeat until a dozen donuts have been consumed!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:48 am

jonovision_man wrote:
dgrant wrote:Real donut racing: Can I finish the first one before the driver side window gets all the way back up?

"runners will be re-energized with tasty treats throughout the course, including mini donuts, cotton candy and more"

Sounds like the donuts are optional?? Not a real tummy challenge if it's optional.

This should be more aligned to the Beer Mile. Run 400m, eat a donut, repeat until a dozen donuts have been consumed!

jono

That idea has merit. 4.8k in total. Or you could do a beer and donut combo. 4 beers, 12 donutathlon
2016 Races

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 am

canalrunner wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

That idea has merit. 4.8k in total. Or you could do a beer and donut combo. 4 beers, 12 donutathlon. Could call it the Loading the Gun Challenge
2016 Races

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 am

canalrunner wrote:
canalrunner wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

That idea has merit. 4.8k in total. Or you could do a beer and donut combo. 4 beers, 12 donutathlon. Could call it the Loading the Gun Challenge

Seems like it should be an even 5k ... maybe tack on 200m before donut #1, then 400m - donut - 400m - donut - 400m to the end. :)

Beer and donuts together sounds dreadful. Throw in bacon and you'd have a sold out event, though.

jono
Visit my blog!

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:56 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Won't someone PLEASE think of the donuts!!!

jono

NUKE the donuts !!! :roll:
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Return to “General Running Discussion”