A Clean Apology: That's Dope!?!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

A Clean Apology: That's Dope!?!

Postby canalrunner » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/maria-sharapova-press-conference-1.3479360

Maria Sharapova certainly took the straight on approach when facing a doping ban. Starting to take a hit with reduced endorsements nonetheless. Likely lots of floating questions, but certainly counter to the Lance Armstrong approach.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: A Clean Apology: That's Dope!?!

Postby eme » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm impressed that she came out and said that she didn't read the email/that it was her fault.

No exuse, but at least she isn't trying to deflect blame.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Hmmm. I have my pitchfork and torch ready to go but now I don't know what to do with them.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Hmmm. I have my pitchfork and torch ready to go but now I don't know what to do with them.

Just wait, another one will come along with a sob story for you :lol:

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:35 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Hmmm. I have my pitchfork and torch ready to go but now I don't know what to do with them.

Sure you do, pyromaniac devil.
2016 Races

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Definitely uncharacteristic candor for a busted athlete, although I'd be curious to see if that would change if any of the hundreds of millions of dollars she's already banked were in jeopardy. I'm actually slightly more impressed that tennis managed to catch a doper and not work some backroom deal to keep things quiet (e.g., the Agassi meth incident).

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:53 pm

ian wrote:Definitely uncharacteristic candor for a busted athlete, although I'd be curious to see if that would change if any of the hundreds of millions of dollars she's already banked were in jeopardy. I'm actually slightly more impressed that tennis managed to catch a doper and not work some backroom deal to keep things quiet (e.g., the Agassi meth incident).

The Agassi thing was nearly 20 years ago. It was the same time that McGwire and Sosa chased Maris' record and Jordan "retired" from basketball. Different world.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:28 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
ian wrote:Definitely uncharacteristic candor for a busted athlete, although I'd be curious to see if that would change if any of the hundreds of millions of dollars she's already banked were in jeopardy. I'm actually slightly more impressed that tennis managed to catch a doper and not work some backroom deal to keep things quiet (e.g., the Agassi meth incident).

The Agassi thing was nearly 20 years ago. It was the same time that McGwire and Sosa chased Maris' record and Jordan "retired" from basketball. Different world.

And before that Dock Ellis pitched a no hitter while on LSD. New definition of high, hard one.

Interesting to see if more comes out. I am hoping that it was as described: a mistake for which she took full responsibility.
2016 Races

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

Either I don't have a more recent example because none of the top players dope or because it was successfully covered up. Sadly, given the continuing rate of positive tests in all other sports and the overall dysfunction of the various governing powers in tennis, I can't rule out the latter.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:07 pm

There is the alleged match fixing allegations.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:27 am

eme wrote:I'm impressed that she came out and said that she didn't read the email/that it was her fault.

Either she was pretty grossly negligent with her own career or she's lying.

If she had been actually attempting to cheat and got popped, the story she is telling is a lot better than "I was cheating and got caught". We've heard the "it was an accident" story before, many times, and it's usually quite suspicious... gets her a reduced ban and some degree of public sympathy.

What pro athlete at her level doesn't have access to medical advice to make sure they comply with doping rules? The only thing I can think of is that she's Russian but lives in America so doesn't have access to the proper advice? Seems odd.

Might be true, might not be, but no sympathy here - at her level and with her income she has the resources to make sure she complies with the rules.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:09 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
eme wrote:I'm impressed that she came out and said that she didn't read the email/that it was her fault.

Either she was pretty grossly negligent with her own career or she's lying.

If she had been actually attempting to cheat and got popped, the story she is telling is a lot better than "I was cheating and got caught". We've heard the "it was an accident" story before, many times, and it's usually quite suspicious... gets her a reduced ban and some degree of public sympathy.

What pro athlete at her level doesn't have access to medical advice to make sure they comply with doping rules? The only thing I can think of is that she's Russian but lives in America so doesn't have access to the proper advice? Seems odd.

Might be true, might not be, but no sympathy here - at her level and with her income she has the resources to make sure she complies with the rules.

jono

Harsh. Sunny days.
2016 Races

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:56 pm

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:57 pm

canalrunner wrote:Harsh. Sunny days.

It's only harsh if one hasn't been paying attention to the last 30 years of doping in sport, or what has been going on in Russian athletics recently.

Look at who has been popped for this drug in other sports... notice a pattern? But I'm sure it was just an accident that she was taking a performance enhancing drug that Russians were predominantly abusing for performance, and that she's Russian.

I might buy that she didn't realize it was on the banned list, but that is entirely negligent - she should have every resource available to determine what she's taking isn't banned. It's almost like she was withholding this from someone advising her... I wonder why?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:03 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Harsh. Sunny days.

It's only harsh if one hasn't been paying attention to the last 30 years of doping in sport, or what has been going on in Russian athletics recently.

Look at who has been popped for this drug in other sports... notice a pattern? But I'm sure it was just an accident that she was taking a performance enhancing drug that Russians were predominantly abusing for performance, and that she's Russian.

I might buy that she didn't realize it was on the banned list, but that is entirely negligent - she should have every resource available to determine what she's taking isn't banned. It's almost like she was withholding this from someone advising her... I wonder why?

jono

I agree.

Any pro athlete should know the status of every drug/supplement they put in their body-- if they don't they are either stupid or lying.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

The latest development:
Maria Sharapova was warned at least five times by tennis authorities that the drug meldonium was being added to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) list of banned substances on Jan. 1, according to the UK Times.

Sharapova, 28, claims that she did not stop taking the drug, which she says she has been taking for nearly a decade for various health reasons, after failing to open an email listing the drugs added to the banned list for 2016. However, professional female tennis players were reportedly warned five times in 2015, three times by the International Tennis Federation and twice by the Women’s Tennis Association, that meldonium would appear on that list.

As someone who spends hours each day among millennials, I think I see the issue: OMG, Y didnt U txt it 2 me?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:34 pm

ian wrote:The latest development:
Maria Sharapova was warned at least five times by tennis authorities that the drug meldonium was being added to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) list of banned substances on Jan. 1, according to the UK Times.

Sharapova, 28, claims that she did not stop taking the drug, which she says she has been taking for nearly a decade for various health reasons, after failing to open an email listing the drugs added to the banned list for 2016. However, professional female tennis players were reportedly warned five times in 2015, three times by the International Tennis Federation and twice by the Women’s Tennis Association, that meldonium would appear on that list.

As someone who spends hours each day among millennials, I think I see the issue: OMG, Y didnt U txt it 2 me?

:lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 pm

A good article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/ ... sf_globefb

"Meldonium was designed to treat circulatory problems in patients with heart disease. But a drug that promises to improve blood flow and oxygen uptake can also enhance athletic performance, boosting endurance and speeding recovery. A 2015 study found evidence of the drug in 17 per cent of Russian athletes tested.

When a prescription medication meant for extremely ill angina patients became the go-to drug for extremely fit athletes, WADA knew something was up. It finally placed meldonium on its watch list in 2015, and announced that it would be banned as of January 1.

Ms. Sharapova was caught right away. She defends herself by arguing that meldonium was legal for almost all the time she used it – strictly true, but only because WADA couldn’t keep pace with the cheaters. The long-time U.S. resident also insists she required the obscure Latvian medication because she had low magnesium and a family history of diabetes."
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:49 am

Good article.

I find it really telling about doping in tennis more generally that so many tennis players are trivializing this and excusing her. Reminds me of how cyclists never condemned other cyclists for doping infractions - kind of weird reaction to someone cheating against you, unless there's a doping culture in place and everyone's protecting everyone else... and the sport's image.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/ ... -sympathy/

jono
Visit my blog!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:11 am

But I bet no one will ever be crucified as much as Lance Armstrong was...there I said it :wink:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:But I bet no one will ever be crucified as much as Lance Armstrong was...there I said it :wink:

Oh man, this takes me back LOL.

Well presumably she didn't pay off competitors to lose races, bribe officials, lie under oath, compel others to cheat... threaten people's livelihoods if they talked........... :help:

jono
Visit my blog!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:17 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I find it really telling about doping in tennis more generally that so many tennis players are trivializing this and excusing her.

Previous doping cases in tennis, involving lesser players, did not elicit much empathy from other players. In this case, I'm wondering if it's less about trivializing the offense and more about hoping to protect one of the key figures for the financial health of the sport. Kind of like with Tiger Woods and his "incident": while a lot of golfers weren't friendly with him, they were well aware of how much more money everyone was making on account of his presence in the sport.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:41 pm

ian wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:I find it really telling about doping in tennis more generally that so many tennis players are trivializing this and excusing her.

Previous doping cases in tennis, involving lesser players, did not elicit much empathy from other players. In this case, I'm wondering if it's less about trivializing the offense and more about hoping to protect one of the key figures for the financial health of the sport. Kind of like with Tiger Woods and his "incident": while a lot of golfers weren't friendly with him, they were well aware of how much more money everyone was making on account of his presence in the sport.

You could make the same argument about most doping cases, even Armstrong's.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 pm

La wrote:
ian wrote:

You could make the same argument about most doping cases, even Armstrong's.

... and you wouldn't be wrong, certainly the way the UCI covered for Armstrong suggests they knew exactly what side their bread was buttered on!

jono
Visit my blog!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 pm

What bugs me about Sharapova is that she's trying to play the innocent victim, when really she got caught trying to get around the system. People seem to be believing her "it was just an honest mistake" excuse, though.

Return to “General Running Discussion”