David Suzuki's 30x30 Challenge for May

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

David Suzuki's 30x30 Challenge for May

Postby La » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:47 am

So, not really a running-related challenge, but I'm putting this in here because it's related.

http://30x30.davidsuzuki.org/

I know that most of us already spend a great deal of time outdoors while we're running, biking, etc., but this challenge is more about being out in nature, and being "disconnected" from technology, so that we can connect with nature.

Here's my proposal for the challenge: You must get outside for at least 30 minutes each day in the month of May. You have to:
1) Leave your phone and other technology at home.
2) Go outside and NOT be running, biking, or walking for training or fitness.
3) Seek out a green space [extra credit if it's a new (to you) or rarely (to you) visited place].
4) Report back on something you observed during your outing.

May 1 is Sunday. Anyone else with me?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Re: David Suzuki's 30x30 Challenge for May

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:57 am

I like it! But...there's no realistic way I can accomplish it within those exact parameters. E.g.: a good way for me to get that 30 minutes is to minimize commuting time on public transit by walking instead. But that won't be in green space and by default my phone will be in my purse/bag.

So I'm going to try for the daily 30 minute "non-fitness" time spent outside. If it can be in green space and technology-free, that's a bonus. :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:52 am

Great idea!

I won't participate but only because this is already my daily reality. :lol: I live in the rainforest and I have a dog... first thing we do every day is go for a walk. (I do carry my phone because it counts my steps, but I generally am not looking at it while out.)

I could do the "report back" piece though!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:39 am

ultraslacker wrote:Great idea!

I won't participate but only because this is already my daily reality. :lol: I live in the rainforest and I have a dog... first thing we do every day is go for a walk. (I do carry my phone because it counts my steps, but I generally am not looking at it while out.)

I could do the "report back" piece though!

Or you could not carry your phone or count your steps for one of those walks. ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:43 am

except I'm shooting for 10k/day so I want those steps to count.

I do think this is a great idea... just not for me. I spend multiple hours in nature every week so I'm already reaping the benefits of what the challenge is meant to provide.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:14 am

i'm in the "already doing this" boat (hence my move to a cabin in the woods). i read a really interesting study about the differences between walking for 90 minutes in nature and walking along the sidewalk, and how much better the former is for your mental health. interestingly, to me, they also noted that it's important not to be listening to music. that one is a bit tougher for me, but i do notice a huge difference.

i do carry my phone for safety, though. in the study i read, participants were asked to carry a smartphone and take pictures of things that caught their eye along the way (to prove to researchers that they had actually don't the walk, although they didn't know that was the point). so i don't think actually carrying a phone is a huge issue, as long as it isn't distracting you from the environment.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:29 am

deerdree wrote:i do carry my phone for safety, though. in the study i read, participants were asked to carry a smartphone and take pictures of things that caught their eye along the way (to prove to researchers that they had actually don't the walk, although they didn't know that was the point). so i don't think actually carrying a phone is a huge issue, as long as it isn't distracting you from the environment.

I wouldn't feel "unsafe" without my phone for a 30-min walk, and if one of the points of the exercise is to re-connect with nature by disconnecting from technology, then even taking photos of nature sort of defeats the purpose.

The person who brought this challenge to my attention said that in her office people were asked to go out into nature (during the work day) and to sketch something on a post-it note and then bring it back to the office and post it on a map of the area they had up on the wall.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am

I LOVE this idea.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:18 pm

La wrote:
deerdree wrote:i do carry my phone for safety, though. in the study i read, participants were asked to carry a smartphone and take pictures of things that caught their eye along the way (to prove to researchers that they had actually don't the walk, although they didn't know that was the point). so i don't think actually carrying a phone is a huge issue, as long as it isn't distracting you from the environment.

I wouldn't feel "unsafe" without my phone for a 30-min walk.

i mean, i guess it depends on where you're walking. i can fall down the side of a cliff on a 15-minute hike.

i'm just thinking you don't have to be so strict about not carrying a phone v. actually using it, and might make the challenge more accessible to people who would want to do it on their commute or something. put it on silent and slip it into your bag and you're as disconnected as if you're not carrying it.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51 pm

I assumed the David Suzuki challenge would be to travel back and forth between my six homes 30 times by private jet while scolding the proles for their carbon footprint. I was mistaken.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I assumed the David Suzuki challenge would be to travel back and forth between my six homes 30 times by private jet while scolding the proles for their carbon footprint. I was mistaken.

:lol:

Similar thoughts crossed my mind...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:04 pm

La wrote:The person who brought this challenge to my attention said that in her office people were asked to go out into nature (during the work day) and to sketch something on a post-it note and then bring it back to the office and post it on a map of the area they had up on the wall.

I like that.

There's a small park right beside my office building where a lot of people will go to eat lunch (or have a smoke...). I walk through it from my car to the building. There was a pair of geese living nearby so I'd see them in the park whenever coming into the office. One day about a month ago I noticed that suddenly there was only one goose, not two. I don't know what happened to his/her mate. :( it made me sad. The one is still there every day, but alone.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:17 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I assumed the David Suzuki challenge would be to travel back and forth between my six homes 30 times by private jet while scolding the proles for their carbon footprint. I was mistaken.

Bonus marks if you can get Leo to get off one of gas guzzling yacht and fly in his private jet to explain how doing a film with native actors for a few months make him a climate change expert so he can lecture you about the scary warm winds in Southern Alberta and how that is proof of our impending climate doom. :D

You get to be a platinum club environmentalist if we an also get Lewis and Klein to fly out and have them explain how we should immediately start our wind farm collectives, retrain all of the oil field employees as social workers, day care workers and bead makers all in the next couple of months.

Joking aside, I already do this challenge as often as I can. About a kilometer away I have a neat natural wooded area next to a river. There are a number of set paths and quite a few where one can wonder around and forget they are give minutes away from the city. Being able to escape and smell the pines has really helped my weight loss program. I am less stressed and generally calmer which in turn does wonderful things to my body in terms of how it does process the food I consume and I avoid "stress" eating or sugar to give me energy. Although I nice walk around the neighborhood works just as well as a trip to a "green" space or at least it does for me.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:03 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

Me too. Overpopulation exacerbates the effects of humanity's bad habits, so I've often found that Suzuki's choice to have five kids diminishes his credibility. In a similar vein, a CBC radio show hosted by Canadian rock legend Randy Bachman impels us each week to "think and do something green" — like have seven children and constantly jet around the world for work and leisure?

Back on topic, I saw my first blue heron of the year this morning. Technically, I was trail running when it happened, but I'd gladly label it as nature therapy instead of training.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 pm

trail running should definitely count as nature therapy!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:25 pm

ian wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

Me too. Overpopulation exacerbates the effects of humanity's bad habits, so I've often found that Suzuki's choice to have five kids diminishes his credibility. In a similar vein, a CBC radio show hosted by Canadian rock legend Randy Bachman impels us each week to "think and do something green" — like have seven children and constantly jet around the world for work and leisure?

Back on topic, I saw my first blue heron of the year this morning. Technically, I was trail running when it happened, but I'd gladly label it as nature therapy instead of training.

I'm not going to judge somebody for having seven kids or six homes or wearing slippers made of panda. I only get worked up about hypocrisy.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 am

I was thinking about this concept while running this morning. Disconnect from technology, eh?

Why do I keep track? Is it just for posterity's sake? To show all-a-ya'all? Training? Personal pride?

I am a marathoner. I pretty much know how much exercise I'm going to do each day. I don't need technology for that. I know what I like to do each weekend. I don't need technology for that. So, could I go a month without my garmin or stop watch and not write anything in my book?

Now I get it. I need to keep track of the shoes. That is the only other need. Otherwise, I'm just a marathoner and I can stay a marathoner without measuring anything. Maybe for May I can minimize to just a shoe log and nothing else.

I think that ending the measuring of myself might be an interesting type of fasting. In that case, my journal would have to discuss what I thought and felt rather than how long or how far.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 am

Spirit wrote:I think that ending the measuring of myself might be an interesting type of fasting. In that case, my journal would have to discuss what I thought and felt rather than how long or how far.

I like this!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:53 am

La wrote:
Spirit wrote:I think that ending the measuring of myself might be an interesting type of fasting. In that case, my journal would have to discuss what I thought and felt rather than how long or how far.

I like this!

I measure things to avoid dealing with my feelings.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:03 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:

I like this!

I measure things to avoid dealing with my feelings.

I measure things for vanity's sake and to avoid dealing with underlying emotions and psychological issues that will "motivate" me to chase down certain objective objectives.

Return to “General Running Discussion”