Article: Running Is The Worst Way To Get Fit

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Article: Running Is The Worst Way To Get Fit

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Is there a kind of strength training that's enjoyable?! Cuz I'd be willing to try it if there is. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:19 pm

I used to love the Goodlife body pump class

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 am

ultraslacker wrote:Is there a kind of strength training that's enjoyable?! Cuz I'd be willing to try it if there is. :P

I asked my buddy the same question, he sent me this. Looks less boring, maybe. Might try it during this off-season.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitn ... ed_routine

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:43 pm

Many winters, I get plenty of strength training with a snow shovel. I don't think it is particularly enjoyable, however.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:03 pm

deerdree wrote:what i don't get is why folks are willing to do all sorts of things that i imagine they don't find particularly enjoyable for the sake of health, but draw the line at strength training. and why no interest in finding a type of strength training that IS enjoyable?

Not everyone feels that way, though. I'd be quite confident in saying that for every person who loves running/cardio and hates strength training that there is another person who feels the opposite. Go to any bodybuilding gym and see whether the folks there like doing cardio!

I agree with Jono's point about not wasting our efforts on changing the behaviour of the 20% of people who are already doing something active, and figure out how to get the other 80% to find a physical activity that they like enough that they'll do it with regularity.

It's not unlike the weight-loss argument where some people don't understand why overweight people can't just "eat less and move more." If we could do that, we wouldn't BE overweight in the first place. Clearly, some people are challenged in one (or both) of those things.

Making lifestyle changes is hard. Sticking to them for the long term is harder, especially if you don't enjoy it.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:57 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Is there a kind of strength training that's enjoyable?! Cuz I'd be willing to try it if there is. :P

Alot of people do like cross-fit.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Having attention deficit like issues and at one time, living in an apartment at one time, there are a number of good alternatives to a sweaty gym. Most of them have nice books for less then $15 or there is google.

Medicine Ball - better with two people as many exercises have you thrown the ball.

Bands with handles - I never really felt challenged on its own but when combined with a bosu ball and instructional video, helped my golf game. Some strength and flexibility.

TRX - expensive and need an anchor point. Uses body weight and I found I watch the free videos, screen shot the key parts and can mix and match to create a good workout.

Dumbbells

Kettle Bell - A nice fun alternative. Found a heavy one and if you use an Eastern European accent, you get better results for some strange reason.

I happen to own them all and in the past have cycled through them.

Some research has suggested the key is fatigue. That is do enough reps at whatever the weight until your muscles are fatigued. I also have bar bell with a squat rack. A functional/ cable trainer.

I bought a good dip/ pull up station. For all of my weights and expensive equipment, one of the more satisfying workouts with visible results is using your own body weight as the resistance.

The problem is everyone thinks "weight training" and the gym with huge guys and protein shakes but I prefer "resistance" training. With anything, I also believe people like to build the "hobby" to make it much more difficult and complex then it really is. Some squats, lunges and a few other key exercises done right and consistently is all one really needs to do.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Spirit wrote:

She asked for enjoyable and not some weird sort of cult experiment. ;)!

It seems super competitive and a new stimulation all of the time so you cannot get bored and yet I have never had the slightest interest to try cross fit. I love doing all sorts of resistance training and will mix in cardio but there is too much of a group/ cult thingy vibe I get from cross fit that discourages me. All of the unique terminology is a real turn off for me as it strikes me a gimmicky. It it not a box, it is a gym, etc. Just my subjective opinion.

I knew a few people who were really into it. But the novelty wore off or their was an instructor who did not really have the competence required and pushed people too hard and they got hurt and ... It seems to have peaked and no longer the "hot" workout it once was. As an aside, I have tried a number of things but a barbell, a bench and loud, hard rock music blasting is always what I return to.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 am

Spirit wrote:

I have some friends who like crossfit. But I also have one who nearly died from it (over-work the muscles hard enough and they go toxic... kidney failure...). My issue is that the focus is on doing things as hard as you can, as fast as you can, as much as you can. That's why so many get seriously injured. :/

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:10 pm

I like to crap on crossfit as much as the next person, but my comment above about the right exercise being the one you actually do applies to crossfit as well.

I know plenty of people who have gone from sedentary goo to absolutely cut with crossfit. Its the height of arrogance to tell someone who's found a way to get fit that they were doing it wrong.

Just stop talking about it all the time. That's my complaint.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Spirit wrote:

I have some friends who like crossfit. But I also have one who nearly died from it (over-work the muscles hard enough and they go toxic... kidney failure...). My issue is that the focus is on doing things as hard as you can, as fast as you can, as much as you can. That's why so many get seriously injured. :/

For many people running is like that too, though, right?

I do know several people who really like Crossfit-- I think just like running it can be highly motivating for some people, so for them it really is the best way to get fit. Like anything there are risks of overdoing things and getting injured. But why is crossfit the only activity where you hear regularly about people "almost dying" from rhabdomyolysis? Or is it not any more common than we hear of people dying in marathons and half-marathons?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
Spirit wrote:

I do know several people who really like Crossfit-- I think just like running it can be highly motivating for some people, so for them it really is the best way to get fit. Like anything there are risks of overdoing things and getting injured. But why is crossfit the only activity where you hear regularly about people "almost dying" from rhabdomyolysis? Or is it not any more common than we hear of people dying in marathons and half-marathons?

I think its confirmation bias. Rhabdomyolysis is the new hyponatremia in the way that hyponatremia was the new arrythmia.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm

On the subject of rhabdomyolysis.

Rhabdomyolysis is very scary for the patients and families of those who have it. My nephew is hospitalized at least 3x/year because of it and he has never done a single cross fit workout in his life. It is very very painful, but as my nephew said, the strong drugs help with that.
This last time was because he caught a virus and it progressed from there. He was in hospital for a total of 14 days. It was so bad our family was thinking of heading back to Winnipeg, then just as suddenly things turned a corner for the best.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:17 pm

The only time I have found strength training enjoyable is when I have worked with a trainer. That had mostly to do with my good relationship with my trainer. Since I'm done, I have a MUCH harder time keeping on track, and the work is surely not as effective. I clearly have to admit I don't like it, but see it as a necessary evil, for both my health and career.

Truth is, I've seen the benefits of a structured strength training program play out right before my eyes. Many times I would have be skeptical in the past - no longer.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 pm

The reason I get some weights done is all the equipment is at home. If I had to go to a gym, it wouldn't happen. But I also don't plan very much or very hard. Also start with some type of situp or crunch then go from there. If I don't have much time, the only do 10 reps of each ting instead of 20. I have 2 all around routines, so I don't have to think. Once I get started, I'll keep going depending on how much time I have.

But I'm just doing weights without goal like building strength or progressing on pounds lifted.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:37 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I like to crap on crossfit as much as the next person, but my comment above about the right exercise being the one you actually do applies to crossfit as well.

I know plenty of people who have gone from sedentary goo to absolutely cut with crossfit. Its the height of arrogance to tell someone who's found a way to get fit that they were doing it wrong.

Just stop talking about it all the time. That's my complaint.

If someone is doing cross fit and it is working, in my books that falls into the "if it is not broke, do not fix it category".

However, the question at hand is what would you do as an introduction to weights that is fun and unspoken "safe". There is no question that the extreme risks from Cross fit regarding are overblown and rhabdo are minimal enough to be inconsequential. However, a cross fit coach pays $1,000 to take a 2 day course. Add in an atmosphere where the coach and other participants push one to go beyond their capabilities where proper form and technique might be taught or forgotten in order to complete the WOD and I think Webmd summed it up well

Good for Beginners: No. It’s easy to get hurt if you don’t know the right form for each exercise. You may also end up quitting because it’s so tough. The possibility of injury is an increased risk with participation in anyhigh-intense fitness regimen like CrossFit, especially if you are new to Olympic-style weight lifting and plyometric workouts, or have a previous injury. Not only are the exercises themselves risky, but performing them under a fatigued state, such as during an intense circuit, increases the risk of injury even further.

From what I have read and from what I have observed, I think Crossfit is a great option or alternative for someone who wants to take it up a notch. They have the basics of weight training down and have a good foundation and what to take it to the next level. Rewarding, sense of accomplishment after pushing yourself to or beyond your breaking point but "fun"???

I thinking about this topic again, if I had to get one piece of equipment, it would be a kettle bell. There are some good boxes and google but a better option may be a trainer in a gym. But once you have the basics, you get one or two kettle bells and you are set. In thinking about it, not only are their strength and power moves but also several functional exercises as well. It may not be "fun' but something one can do a couple of times a week and see some benefits.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am

Kettle bells are great and I find them to be silent and deadly. Take the swing. The first 10-15 seem easy but getting up to 50 is hard because of the leg and cardio endurance. I use them about every 3rd week in the HIIT class I teach.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:23 am

IronColl wrote:Kettle bells are great and I find them to be silent and deadly. Take the swing. The first 10-15 seem easy but getting up to 50 is hard because of the leg and cardio endurance. I use them about every 3rd week in the HIIT class I teach.

I'll have to try that.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42 am

Tim Ferriss promotes kettle bell workouts too. I wonder if I could find some classes nearby and try it out... I would want to take some classes before buying one for home in case I'm not doing it right or hate it. :lol:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 am

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
Spirit wrote:

The difference is that crossfit *culture* is "more, faster, harder, more, faster, harder". They push that as an ideal... and people get hurt. Yes in running there are a few people who push themselves that way and get hurt, but most of us don't, and we do have more sensible common wisdom like the 10% rule, etc. Whether individuals choose to follow it or not is up to them...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:05 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
Spirit wrote:

The difference is that crossfit *culture* is "more, faster, harder, more, faster, harder". They push that as an ideal... and people get hurt. Yes in running there are a few people who push themselves that way and get hurt, but most of us don't, and we do have more sensible common wisdom like the 10% rule, etc. Whether individuals choose to follow it or not is up to them...

Well, it's easy to generalize but not everyone who likes Crossfit buys into the extreme philosophy. For all the ones that talk about it "all the time" and push to the extreme, there are way more that do it because they like the challenge and the community. I really don't see it any different than running, actually.

Personal story-- I went to a trial class with a friend at a Crossfit gym on the west side of Vancouver-- I really liked what they did there and the philosophy of the coach, etc. They put a huge priority on safety-- they want to keep their customers! But they also know how to motivate people to challenge themselves and push harder than they thought was possible. My friend joined with a group of moms from her kids' soccer teams (I refuse to call her a "soccer mom" though ;) ). Their experience pretty much parallels what I see with people who join run groups at places like the Running Room. I was actually really interested in joining but the cost was prohibitive for me (about 3K/year) considering I didn't want to do ONLY crossfit..
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Why oh why did I open this thread?

As one of the few people here who actually does Crossfit, and has been for over 5 years now, and who is fitter (by the Crossfit definition) than at any other time in my life, I can attest to the fact that there isn't any greater risk to Crossfit than any other full body sport, it's on par with gymnastics and soccer and all kinds of endeavours.

Also the *culture* isn't so much "more, faster, harder, more, faster, harder", but it can become that for some. The culture is measurable, verifiable, repeatable.

Unlike most other fitness programs, everything is timed and measured, regardless of whether you do it as prescribed or if you scale, you have your times and you weights, distances, heights, rep counts. So that next time you do the same workout (and you never know when that'll be) you have a target painted on the back of your former self and if one of the elements isn't better than last time, you know you're not progressing. There are benchmark workouts that everyone does (which you can still scale if you choose) which allow you to stack yourself up to others​. and the Open, a world wide competition to get into the Crossfit Games allows you to measure up against others​ your age, gender, from your region/city/province, even occupation in some cases.

Yes, you can target the young stud next to you, and sometimes, when the workout is in your wheel house, you do (and sometimes you even bring the hurt). And you know there's someone else in the class who's put a target on your back. It makes you push harder.

But the only real risk in Crossfit is Ego. (Assuming your coaches aren't idiots, which sadly isn't always the case). Every time I've pulled something, it was on me, I didn't make the smart choice and let my Ego get the better of me. You learn quick to check your Ego at the door.

It also uses may movements of varying skill levels and creates what's called the Pokemon effect, you wanna get them all. I'm still a few short of a complete set, and that, in part, keeps me going back.

Lastly, and I've brought this up before, and you get this in running a bit if you do speed work or hill work as a group, the brother/sisterhood of shared suffering. When you make it through a particularly hard workout (happens often in Crossfit) you can't help but have respect for those that made it too, and that respect is mutual, and powerful.

CrossFit makes use of different standards or models for evaluating and guiding fitness, the first is based on the 10 general physical skills widely recognized by exercise physiologists are cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance and accuracy.

Distance running gives you maybe 3, endurance, some stamina, and maybe coordination.

You could probably get similar results with a middle distance running combined with a gymnastics class and strongman or powerlifting, or martial arts and Olympic lifting, but I don't know of anything else that gives you as much bang for the buck.

I've seen 60 year olds start Crossfit, I've seen obese people start Crossfit, who's box jumps were onto a 4" barbell plate instead of a 20" box, and the look of sheer joy at the accomplishment, and the cheers from the "fit" crossfitters who recognized the accomplishment isn't something you see in many other places.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Ah...Crossfit. It attracts certain types for sure, and most wear Vibram five fingers and steer at the mirror a lot :wink:

personally, I don't really care for it and I'm fitter than most that do crossfit considering my age. I can walk on my hands for more than 200m out and back, box jump to a considerable height, run up 15' plus vertical wall, rope climb, but hate lifting weights.

Crossfit perils

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/0 ... amage.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/health/w ... gym-class/
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue May 02, 2017 2:06 pm

I defer to your expertise

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue May 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Ironboy wrote:I defer to your expertise

:lol:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Return to “General Running Discussion”