Around the Bay - Who's in....

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Around the Bay - Who's in....

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Anyone running ATB this year? I'm in for 30K....

tayken
Tom Longboat

Re: Around the Bay - Who's in....

Postby tayken » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Not only am I in like Flynn also doing the 30k...am in neighbouring Burlington this Sunday doing the Chilly half. This will be my 3rd ATB and am eyeing that GOLD (not) :mrgreen:
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Came to visit the forum for the first time in ages to find out the answer to this question. :)

Ed and I are both in. This is going to be my first 30 km training run for Mississauga. And ATB #10!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 am

I'm in the 3x10 relay. Not sure which leg I am running.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:52 am

In as in previous years ....
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:58 am

No, sadly. My streak ends at 8. I was contemplating a last minute entry, I then got scheduled to work so there goes that idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I'm back this year as an official bunny, running 2:15'. I've had a bit of issue with my gastrocs lately so I hope it holds up for my target pace. I think this will be my 9th ATB.
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 am

purdy65 wrote:No, sadly. My streak ends at 8. I was contemplating a last minute entry, I then got scheduled to work so there goes that idea.

Bummer - it's always so nice to see you there. :(
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 am

You did a good job pacing yesterday. I was right with you until the 15k mark before my abductor & hamstring issue started to kick in. Heard you conversation about running comrades and how you plan to go back. and your pacing for the MEC marathon. I managed to suck up the pain and came in slightly later than your time.

I'm happy considering the situation. I saw a few guys just stopping from cramps. I urged them to shuffle as opposed to stopping completely. The guy with the shirt off there is something else. He ran like that too at the recent chilly half :lol:

bgroot wrote:I'm back this year as an official bunny, running 2:15'. I've had a bit of issue with my gastrocs lately so I hope it holds up for my target pace. I think this will be my 9th ATB.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 am

i'm so intrigued by this cheating story - on one hand, i appreciate that she answered questions (some people would just say no comment). on the other hand, i feel like i have so many questions left.

i've done the bay enough times to know that you don't have to cross the finish line to find your family, though. :?

http://runningmagazine.ca/around-the-ba ... fications/

holymoly
Bill Crothers

Postby holymoly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm intrigued and flummoxed. Besides the question of why someone in that situation would cross the finish line, how could anyone think it's okay to wear another person's chip??!!
• Marathons: Berlin 2010 & NYC Marathon 2010 & Toronto 2004 • 30Ks: ATB (Hamilton) 2007 & 2016 & 2017 • Half Marathons: Chilly Half (Burlington) 2007 & More (NYC) 2005 & Scotiabank Waterfront (Toronto) 2004 • 8K: Robbie Burns 2006 • 5Ks: ATB 5k 2009 & 2008 & 2006 & 2005, Beaches Spring Fling (Toronto) 2004 • Craziness: Santa Speedo Run (Toronto) 2006 •

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 am

holymoly wrote:I'm intrigued and flummoxed. Besides the question of why someone in that situation would cross the finish line, how could anyone think it's okay to wear another person's chip??!!

yes, perfect adjectives!!

the double chip thing is so bizarre, too. i can't even think of the motivation (i.e., it's not like it's a qualifier for anything). eta: i had only read the article i linked to, but now i see she's elaborated to other media. "It was his way of running with me." :lol: :lol: anyone wanna run with me next time they do a marathon?

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:31 am

Never seizes to amaze me the extent some people will go :roll: Whilst the rest of us (although carrying injuries) still managed to go out there considering the elements and give it our all, some scum like this Sarah Deck thought it was OK to cheat. It will appear this is probably not the first time she has done this. I mean for someone who ran 3:26 in previous year, to go 1:57 :naughty:

Photos of Deck show that she was wearing two timing chips, one on each foot, held in place by her laces. Each runner is assigned a single timing chip that corresponds with their bib number.

People need to see what she looks like

https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts ... 35&bib=137

Some people even had the following questions and suggestions:

1. Unfortunately the real issue has not been adressed and still remains which is HOW did Deck get from the 15km mark to the finish line and enter the very secure finish line to receive a gold medal she did not earn!!!

2. Someone should investigate the photographic evidence for Deck and Cherubini in the 2016 edition of ATB. According to Sportstats, their times are the same or within 1 second of each other at each split for the entire race. They might have run together shoulder by shoulder the whole way (easier said than done over 30km), but such a small difference could be also caused by one runner with a different chip on each foot. It would be worth looking at the race video and pictures.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am

tayken wrote:1. Unfortunately the real issue has not been adressed and still remains which is HOW did Deck get from the 15km mark to the finish line and enter the very secure finish line to receive a gold medal she did not earn!!!

the local newspaper addressed this one - she got a ride from a friend to the finish line (i was originally thinking the bus): http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/721 ... -cheater-/

"I wasn't thinking clearly and I didn't think of all the repercussions. I crossed the finish line the two previous years and I just wanted to cross it again," she said. "I didn't think everyone would get so mad. Everyone is calling me a dirty cheater."

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:51 am

Yes Ms Deck...the fact that you decided to cross the finish line and receive a medal shows you as a "dirty cheat" :roll: I mean there is pictures of her entering the arena...why didn't she just walk away?

Additionally, in the two previous years, a timings weren't exactly close to what she looked to claim this time. She should be banned from ATB and every other race in Ontario. She is complaining that the harsh comments is eating her alive....Her school might want to check her exam papers too

According to Deck, a 26-year-old university student, she had just passed the race's 18-km mark when a nagging knee injury began to flare up. Realizing she wouldn't be able to finish, the Hamilton native says she saw a friend watching the race by the side of the road and asked for a ride back to the start line. Deck got out within a kilometre of the finish line and made what she acknowledges was a terrible decision: She elected to finish the race.
:roll:

deerdree wrote:
tayken wrote:1. Unfortunately the real issue has not been adressed and still remains which is HOW did Deck get from the 15km mark to the finish line and enter the very secure finish line to receive a gold medal she did not earn!!!

the local newspaper addressed this one - she got a ride from a friend to the finish line (i was originally thinking the bus): http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/721 ... -cheater-/

"I wasn't thinking clearly and I didn't think of all the repercussions. I crossed the finish line the two previous years and I just wanted to cross it again," she said. "I didn't think everyone would get so mad. Everyone is calling me a dirty cheater."
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:58 am

tayken wrote:She should be banned from ATB and every other race in Ontario. She is complaining that the harsh comments is eating her alive....Her school might want to check her exam papers too

This is creepy. Just because you're against something we can all agree is wrong, it doesn't mean that anything you do or say is therefore right.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 am

Do you even know what the definition of the word is? My point is, if she cheats at races, makes you wonder what else she cheats in. Get it now????

ian wrote:
tayken wrote:She should be banned from ATB and every other race in Ontario. She is complaining that the harsh comments is eating her alive....Her school might want to check her exam papers too

This is creepy. Just because you're against something we can all agree is wrong, it doesn't mean that anything you do or say is therefore right.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 am

tayken wrote:Do you even know what the definition of the word is? My point is, if she cheats at races, makes you wonder what else she cheats in. Get it now????

ian wrote:

Devil's Advocate: Does it?

Maybe she excels at everything else and only needs to "cheat" running.

Maybe she sees running as a cute hobby and with no repercussions as long as she does not take a podium from anyone. Cheat in school you get kicked out. Kick at work, you get fired. So you do not cheat. Cheat in a meaningless event and so what?

There is a certain running rule or code that states you train hard, you sacrifice, there is literally blood, sweat and tears and in return, your "reward" for all of that is the finisher medal. When I was running 15 years ago, a finisher medal for anything other than a marathon was rare or unheard of. I suspect it will not be long before one gets one after finishing a long run but I digress. She may have thought that she did everything that was asked of her and so it was unfair, unjust not to get her well earned reward. I completely disagree with such thinking but it is not isolated to just running and so I do understand it to some degree. I played golf with a gentleman who was in his 80s. His philosophy was hit until you were happy. The reason is he said if you are playing a tournament for money or a trophy, you play by their rules. When you are paying $100 to play a fun round of golf, you make up the rules.

Thus your statement "WHAT" is a logically fallacy and a better word would be "IF".

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

on the other hand, common running superstition says it's bad luck to even wear the race shirt if you didn't finish the race, so you certainly can't have a time and medal if you didn't complete it. :lol: 8)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

It does seem that many people do not get why cheating in races in this way would be a big deal to other people. It does not fall in the same category as cheating on a test, for sure-- but many people don't seem to get that these events are athletic competitions and that times do matter. Did she really not get the fact that crossing the line so early would put here in the top 10 finishers of the race, and thus cause some suspicion? It seems from the interviews that she really was that naive-- or maybe it's all an act, I'm not sure.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:01 pm

ultraslacker wrote:on the other hand, common running superstition says it's bad luck to even wear the race shirt if you didn't finish the race, so you certainly can't have a time and medal if you didn't complete it. :lol: 8)

But what is the race is cancelled due to a dangerous thunderstorm? Actually happened to me last year. Did not wear the race shirt until this year as it felt "wrong".

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:12 pm

tayken wrote:Do you even know what the definition of the word is? My point is, if she cheats at races, makes you wonder what else she cheats in. Get it now????

Because I dare to question the extent of your outrage, I'm therefore dumb. Got it. Time to update my settings on the board...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Dstew wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:on the other hand, common running superstition says it's bad luck to even wear the race shirt if you didn't finish the race, so you certainly can't have a time and medal if you didn't complete it. :lol: 8)

But what is the race is cancelled due to a dangerous thunderstorm? Actually happened to me last year. Did not wear the race shirt until this year as it felt "wrong".

One year I registered for Beat the Blerch, and I didn't end up running it but a friend picked up my kit for me.... which included the shirt and all the swag. The shirt was awesome... long sleeved, and high quality. I've worn it ever since. Sometimes people see it and ask me about the race so I always tell them I didn't actually run it... there is a twinge of guilt... but it's such a great shirt so I keep doing it!!!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:18 pm

ian wrote:

Because I dare to question the extent of your outrage, I'm therefore dumb. Got it. Time to update my settings on the board...

:lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:27 pm

Jwolf wrote:It does seem that many people do not get why cheating in races in this way would be a big deal to other people. It does not fall in the same category as cheating on a test, for sure-- but many people don't seem to get that these events are athletic competitions and that times do matter. Did she really not get the fact that crossing the line so early would put here in the top 10 finishers of the race, and thus cause some suspicion? It seems from the interviews that she really was that naive-- or maybe it's all an act, I'm not sure.

If I give her the benefit of the doubt, she likely didn't plan to cheat, but saw an opportunity to cross the finish line after she'd gotten a ride back to the start and really didn't think through the repercussions of that action.

But the other side of me suspects that she knew she did something wrong (even if she wasn't trying to intentionally "cheat") and is only remorseful because she got caught and is getting so much flak for what she did.

The part about wearing two chips (when there's no actual benefit to anyone, including her BF whose chip she was wearing) makes me think that she really doesn't have a clue (or maybe just not care) about the established norms within the running culture.

You want to wear the race shirt during (or even before) the event? Go for it! No skin off my nose (I'll just silently judge you :lol:), but taking a medal for a race you didn't finish is just plain wrong.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “General Running Discussion”