Cool or Not Cool?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: Cool or Not Cool?

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

dgrant wrote:The daisy chain ladies... I mean, as long as they only joined hands in the last 4 or 5 strides before the finish line, who are they bothering? It's pretty rare for anyone to be sprinting in the final metres of a marathon (sprinting the final metres of a marathon: cool or not cool?), so I can't imagine they'd be impeding anyone by more than a fraction of a second.

I've sprinted for a PB, other folks may be sprinting back there for their BQ. It's not for them to decide who should or shouldn't be blocked from their goals.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm

... and if I were sprinting I wouldn't hesitate to view their linked arms as a finishing line as I barged through.

Frame that.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 pm

jonovision_man wrote:... and if I were sprinting I wouldn't hesitate to view their linked arms as a finishing line as I barged through.

"Red rover, red rover, we call Jono over..." :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 am

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:... and if I were sprinting I wouldn't hesitate to view their linked arms as a finishing line as I barged through.

:lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:29 am

La wrote:

:dance: :lol:
Visit my blog!

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:58 am

+100

They can expect the Juggernaut train spring run right into they daisy chain. My finishes are always a sprint from 100m out, and I finish strong.

jonovision_man wrote:
dgrant wrote:The daisy chain ladies... I mean, as long as they only joined hands in the last 4 or 5 strides before the finish line, who are they bothering? It's pretty rare for anyone to be sprinting in the final metres of a marathon (sprinting the final metres of a marathon: cool or not cool?), so I can't imagine they'd be impeding anyone by more than a fraction of a second.

I've sprinted for a PB, other folks may be sprinting back there for their BQ. It's not for them to decide who should or shouldn't be blocked from their goals.

jono
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 am

I know right....way cheaper than running the race, booking flights and hotel and the body pain from the race :lol: Oh, and I believe there might be free shipping too

HCcD wrote:
tayken wrote:No you didn't steal..but you could have done the right thing i.e. return the item. Imagine if everybody did that eh..just saying.

ultraslacker wrote:
dgrant wrote:As far as the thief part, if you've overstayed a downtown parking meter by 20 minutes, you've stolen way, way more than this guy did.

The other day I got home from the grocery store and realized that the cashier had failed to charge me for my yogurt. I briefly considered returning and confessing. It's only a block from home after all. Then I thought, no, it was her mistake, not mine. Did I steal? Why is my conscience bothering me? Does this $3 sin make me a thief on par with the medal thief??? That yogurt tub was worth TWO medals, at least! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, umm, the current asking/bidding price on ebay for a 2017 Boston Marathon Finisher Medal is between $70-$130 ?? :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 am

tayken wrote:+100

They can expect the Juggernaut train spring run right into they daisy chain. My finishes are always a sprint from 100m out, and I finish strong.

jonovision_man wrote:

jono

And, if I recall ... you are built like a tank so ... could lave a whole lot of collateral damage at the finish line? Especially, if there were only a few seconds between you and a BQ, I bet ?? :shock: :) :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:12 pm

You recall wrong. I don't run to BQ, there are other interesting/adventurous/challenging races out there . I've done Boston twice in the past, and don't feel the need to keep going back there. I'm NOT American, don't live there or have family there.

Like I said, I always finish strong regardless and my PBs are usually always in the bag KMs before the finish. :wink:

HCcD wrote:

jonovision_man wrote:

jono

And, if I recall ... you are built like a tank so ... could lave a whole lot of collateral damage at the finish line? Especially, if there were only a few seconds between you and a BQ, I bet ?? :shock: :) :P
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 pm

tayken wrote:You recall wrong. I don't run to BQ, there are other interesting/adventurous/challenging races out there . I've done Boston twice in the past, and don't feel the need to keep going back there. I'm NOT American, don't live there or have family there.

Like I said, I always finish strong regardless and my PBs are usually always in the bag KMs before the finish. :wink:

HCcD wrote:

jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Where did I ever assume that you are an American? My bad then, as I thought you lived in KTown and formerly in the Ottawa area?? Guess, I was thinking of a different tank? Ha!! :shock: :lol: :shifty: :wink:

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 am

You know what they say about assumptions...you should probably quit before you continue to make an *** of yourself :wink:

You are derailing the thread.

HCcD wrote:
tayken wrote:You recall wrong. I don't run to BQ, there are other interesting/adventurous/challenging races out there . I've done Boston twice in the past, and don't feel the need to keep going back there. I'm NOT American, don't live there or have family there.

HCcD wrote:

jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Where did I ever assume that you are an American? My bad then, as I thought you lived in KTown and formerly in the Ottawa area?? Guess, I was thinking of a different tank? Ha!! :shock: :lol: :shifty: :wink:
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:22 am

:shifty: :lol:
tayken wrote:You know what they say about assumptions...you should probably quit before you continue to make an *** of yourself :wink:

You are derailing the thread.

HCcD wrote:

HCcD wrote:

jonovision_man wrote:

jono

If anyone is an @$$ of themselves... it's definitley not me !!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 am

I thought you were talking about jono being built like a tank!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Poor guy has publicly apologized: https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2 ... medal.html

He sounds like a nice guy who just became overwhelmed with Boston gratitude.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Spirit Unleashed wrote:Poor guy has publicly apologized: https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2 ... medal.html

He sounds like a nice guy who just became overwhelmed with Boston gratitude.

That, and how many of us have perfectly functioning brains at the end of a marathon? I know I sure don't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:21 pm

I do wonder if all of those who accused him of "stealing" a medal that was actually presented to him will show the same class and apologize for libel and slander they committed in their fits of self righteous indignation. Given my experience with runners, I highly doubt it for I have come to realize one virtue those type of runners have is a feeling of moral superiority they believe is automatically attached to them because they are runners. They forget or ignore the fact this is a silly little hobby where people get to live a fantasy really not much different then cosplay at a Comic convention. Granted, when done in moderation, running is a much healthier pursuit but emotionally and psychologically, I suspect share many attributes. Good for you that you ran a pre set number of miles a prescribed time, place and route, do you want a medal for that. Actually, you do and a t shirt and some other good swag to prove just how important an achievement that is. All harmless fun to add a little spice to the hobby but for some, they lose perspective and start internet witch hunts that attack the character of one who made an honest mistake, slight error in judgement when they are physically and mentally exhausted.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Ah...again, imagine if every finisher grabbed 1,2,3 extra medals after each race to present to their spouse/parents/kids, who all came out to support their silly" little hobby". I don't where you run or how many road / trail races you've done in country and outside, but your experience differs from mine.

Glad to hear he apologized publicly, and whilst his wrongdoing is NOT in the same class as Ms ATB who decided to hitch a ride to km 28 only to run into Copps coliseum and claim a medal, this might deter would be medal grabbers from wanting to do the same in the future.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:20 am

Dstew wrote:I do wonder if all of those who accused him of "stealing" a medal that was actually presented to him will show the same class and apologize for libel and slander they committed in their fits of self righteous indignation. Given my experience with runners, I highly doubt it for I have come to realize one virtue those type of runners have is a feeling of moral superiority they believe is automatically attached to them because they are runners. They forget or ignore the fact this is a silly little hobby where people get to live a fantasy really not much different then cosplay at a Comic convention. Granted, when done in moderation, running is a much healthier pursuit but emotionally and psychologically, I suspect share many attributes. Good for you that you ran a pre set number of miles a prescribed time, place and route, do you want a medal for that. Actually, you do and a t shirt and some other good swag to prove just how important an achievement that is. All harmless fun to add a little spice to the hobby but for some, they lose perspective and start internet witch hunts that attack the character of one who made an honest mistake, slight error in judgement when they are physically and mentally exhausted.

It's conflicting for you to attack the character of runners, yet defend the character of a runner after they ran.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 am

Yeah...that one beats me also
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 01, 2017 9:26 am

ultraslacker wrote:I thought you were talking about jono being built like a tank!

Currently tipping the scales at ~200lbs so you wouldn't be wrong! Coming through! :dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 01, 2017 12:03 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I thought you were talking about jono being built like a tank!

Currently tipping the scales at ~200lbs so you wouldn't be wrong! Coming through! :dance:

jono

I certainly would not be standing in your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed May 03, 2017 12:45 am

RobW wrote:
Dstew wrote:I do wonder if all of those who accused him of "stealing" a medal that was actually presented to him will show the same class and apologize for libel and slander they committed in their fits of self righteous indignation. Given my experience with runners, I highly doubt it for I have come to realize one virtue those type of runners have is a feeling of moral superiority they believe is automatically attached to them because they are runners. They forget or ignore the fact this is a silly little hobby where people get to live a fantasy really not much different then cosplay at a Comic convention. Granted, when done in moderation, running is a much healthier pursuit but emotionally and psychologically, I suspect share many attributes. Good for you that you ran a pre set number of miles a prescribed time, place and route, do you want a medal for that. Actually, you do and a t shirt and some other good swag to prove just how important an achievement that is. All harmless fun to add a little spice to the hobby but for some, they lose perspective and start internet witch hunts that attack the character of one who made an honest mistake, slight error in judgement when they are physically and mentally exhausted.

It's conflicting for you to attack the character of runners, yet defend the character of a runner after they ran.

I do appreciate those who like to work themselves into a self righteous lather in defending the dogma and religious tenants of running lack basic comprehension skills but I was talking about a certain type of runner that is highlighted for ease of reference so you do not have to search too hard.

I was defending a runner that appreciates and understands this is a silly little hobby and appreciates that we get to dress up and play athlete whilst paying the privilege to do so but race accomplishments have very little real meaning or purpose. It is fun to brag to people about qualifying and running Boston but that one must also remember that just because they did not does not add any superior virtue or character they would not have otherwise had.

Let me put this a different way. Some studies seem to suggest that to optimize one's health, fitness and longevity, that they need to do approximately two to three times the recommended weekly amount of exercise and it should be vigorous [60 - 85% heart rate]. That works out to be around an hour a day. Although there is some debate about the U curve of very intense exercise, anything over and above that does not really add any benefit. So anyone doing more than an hour a day of running and over 85% of the heart rate on a regular basis is not having any meaningful and actual "achievement" in what really matter and is the heart of recreational exercise and that is better health and fitness. And as noted, there are some studies that do suggest much greater than the hour a day can lead to some serious health issues. And doing a lot of running is also suggestive of underlying mental health issues. Thus marathons and the like are fun and for the vast majority of people, a cute escape and where someone can wear their jacket or medal with pride, inflate their ego, vanity and pride and pretend it actually means something. They can come to sites like this where other like minded people will confirm that they are awesome and extraordinary and not insane for caring so much about something that means so little. That is the fun of any sport - cheer like the result means life or death in the moment but always remember it does not. Thus I defended the person who realizes that, showed some class even though he was libelled and slandered in the real world over an offense that did not hurt nor harm a single person. I have no problem with people living the illusion, the fantasy the running an artificial and arbitrary distance gives their lives meaning and purpose but when that delusion seeps into the real world where a weekend warrior's life may be adversely impacted by some numb nuts falsely accusing them of stealing, then I have a problem with that. What to run an ultra and be proud you soiled yourself at 3:00 am, good on you as you have not hurt nor harmed anyone else. What to mess with someone in the real world, then it behooves people to step in and remind them of how silly they are being.

At one time, anyone who wanted to run Boston could. Thus who really cared if someone cheated to get in. It in no way diminished my accomplishment and their accomplishment was hollow and empty. But now people at being turned away, I see a utility in weeding those cheaters out. Same for stealing even a podium finish from someone. But what harm is there is selling your bib to someone else not to help you qualify for Boston but just because you could not run it. Or get a medal you really did not deserve. What real harm is being done.

I do apologize for injecting some reality and perspective into this site but I will let you get back to the nice fantasy world where you the little clique of people can tell each other how wonderful they are merely because they run.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 am

Dstew wrote:I do apologize for injecting some reality and perspective into this site but I will let you get back to the nice fantasy world where you the little clique of people can tell each other how wonderful they are merely because they run.

A vast majority on here are wonderful people. I also speak of those who I may not have had contact with. I’d rather surround myself with them rather than people whose best comeback is to attack someone and those who cry foul but end up needing the most moderation.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Wed May 03, 2017 11:36 am

Dstew wrote:
I do apologize for injecting some reality and perspective into this site but I will let you get back to the nice fantasy world where you the little clique of people can tell each other how wonderful they are merely because they run.

:lol: :mrgreen:
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu May 04, 2017 1:16 am

RobW wrote:
Dstew wrote:I do apologize for injecting some reality and perspective into this site but I will let you get back to the nice fantasy world where you the little clique of people can tell each other how wonderful they are merely because they run.

A vast majority on here are wonderful people. I also speak of those who I may not have had contact with. I’d rather surround myself with them rather than people whose best comeback is to attack someone and those who cry foul but end up needing the most moderation.

Like when Ian called Tayken "creepy"?

Or Holly told Tayken to take off their judgy glasses?

Or when Chunky took offense to a supportive statement I made and took a few words out of context.

I am sure Tayken does mean well in expressing their opinions and attacking others so you should really cut them some slack. They are clearly very passionate about their defense of running with a certain religious fanaticism that is actually quite admirable.

I do also appreciate your passive aggressive nonsense. Had you ended your thought at surrounding yourself with like minded people, I could easily accept that. "Needing moderation" does not make any sense in this context and is almost an incomplete or unexpressed thought.

I have had modest success running, generally do enjoy running when do on my terms and where I keep performance objectives in it proper perspective but these sort of exchanges remind me I do not care for runners. It finally hit me that I generally find any runner who seriously believes outside of race day that their performance actually matters and they are anything but a hobbyist, I have a mild and quiet contempt for. Those really good at running always tended NOT be good at anything else. I played hockey, baseball, soccer, etc, etc, etc and runners ran. And yet they always seemed to feel a certain superiority just because they had the ability to engage in a mindless pursuit of an activity almost everyone finds to be boring, tedium, drudgery and torture. I always rejected the notion put forth by running philosophers such as Sheehan that this represents some sort of noble and honorable quest. It is a neat thing to do, you get a cool shinny object and get to brag about your accomplishment but there was nothing really deeper or more meaningful in my view. I see the utility of a site such as this where a group of like minded people can have others confirm it is a spiritual journey and not a mindless addiction that has to be justified and rationalized.

So I do thank you for your response for as much as I want to fight the inevitable conclusion that this place I could take refugee when I was too tired and bored to escape by doing anything too taxing no longer serves any of my interests and has a useful function for me, it is yet further confirmation and proof I really do need to leave.

When I was trying to qualify for Boston or win medals or tackle new challenges such as a 50 K race, this site was useful. But that time has now long passed. I am moving away from running or doing much that is beyond what I need to do in order to be healthy. It is sort of scary that because of places such as this that helped me achieve what I did in my running career also now has me think, I "only" rode 29 K today and I was "only" for 49 minutes. Such a workout is extremely healthy and good but compared to 3 hour long runs, may seem inadequate. And the site has changed to a smaller and much more tight knit clique where someone who does not share their unquestioning passion and love of running does not belong any more. Great for those in this circle, not so much for those with only a passing interest.

No need to reply as your reply and a few others that actually made me laugh and had me say, "what a tool" with the irony not lost on me that my posts are likely generating the same reaction, I now formally, officially and without any further doubt, hesitation, reservation or caveats, will permanently and irrevocably banish and exile myself from this and any other running site I had or might ever consider joining.

Goodbye and thanks for the Fish. :D! :-H

Return to “General Running Discussion”