Running Mules..

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

tayken
Tom Longboat

Running Mules..

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm

This just seems to continue to be a thing in almost every race :roll:

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2 ... athon.html

Getting a BQ is nothing to brag about anymore, and the sooner they just change the damn race into a lottery or better yet just another race, the better. I'll rather continue doing London, Chicago, Toronto, NYC, LA than wanting to do another beantown
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Running Mules..

Postby dgrant » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:40 pm

The marathoninvestigation internet sleuth is no friend of the running community. This is one of multiple entries where he rats out people for running with someone else's bib (at races that prohibit race transfers). It's gross. If he cared about runners (their health and well-being, or their best interests as consumers) he would use his platform to pressure all race organizers to allow entry transfers. Or at least turn a blind eye to an "underground economy" that benefits runners. To instead play the role of narc for races owned by big corporations (RnR Nashville) or owned by a billionaire (LA Marathon)... what a weasel.

I hope he loses interest in his little passion project soon. Marathoninvestigation.com is lousy.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 pm

1) Bib mules have been an issue for a while-- this is not a new thing. They are just easier to catch now.
2) It is super-annoying but NOT a widespread problem. Derek Murphy on the Marathon Investigation site estimates about 1% of "qualifiers."
3) Qualifying for Boston is still a big deal, still something to strive for, still something to be proud of. Just because you don't want to do it again doesn't mean it doesn't have meaning for others. (And most people I know that have done it don't "brag" about it-- they are very humble yet proud.)
4) This issue in no way will push Boston to look towards moving to a lottery.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50 pm

dgrant wrote:The marathoninvestigation internet sleuth is no friend of the running community. This is one of multiple entries where he rats out people for running with someone else's bib (at races that prohibit race transfers). It's gross. If he cared about runners (their health and well-being, or their best interests as consumers) he would use his platform to pressure all race organizers to allow entry transfers. Or at least turn a blind eye to an "underground economy" that benefits runners. To instead play the role of narc for races owned by big corporations (RnR Nashville) or owned by a billionaire (LA Marathon)... what a weasel.

Bib muling is the most common way that people illegitimately "qualify" for Boston, which is why he looks for these. His sleuthing has led to several disqualifications, and Boston welcomes his work.

His skills are not advocacy-- they are in data analysis, and several races have already solicited his services to help find cheats.

I think what he's doing is awesome.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Bib muling is the most common way that people illegitimately "qualify" for Boston, which is why he looks for these. His sleuthing has led to several disqualifications, and Boston welcomes his work.

His skills are not advocacy-- they are in data analysis, and several races have already solicited his services to help find cheats.

I think what he's doing is awesome.

The fact that these people happened to finish with what would be BQ results for the original bib buyer doesn't prove or even suggest that they were bib muling. If 500 people run a race with someone else's bib, some small number of them are going to coincidentally run a "BQ"... and yes some number of those will be doing it with nefarious intent. But just because he goes looking for BQ scammers doesn't mean everyone he finds is a BQ scammer.

"Illicit" bib transferring happens all the time, harms nobody, and wouldn't be necessary if all race organizers cared about their customers. The most recent featured story on the website is just him reporting a bib transferer to the RnR Nashville organizers. No BQ implications involved. Just some guy helping a corporation enforce is blatantly anti-consumer, anti-runner policy.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:25 pm

dgrant wrote:The marathoninvestigation internet sleuth is no friend of the running community. This is one of multiple entries where he rats out people for running with someone else's bib (at races that prohibit race transfers). It's gross. If he cared about runners (their health and well-being, or their best interests as consumers) he would use his platform to pressure all race organizers to allow entry transfers. Or at least turn a blind eye to an "underground economy" that benefits runners. To instead play the role of narc for races owned by big corporations (RnR Nashville) or owned by a billionaire (LA Marathon)... what a weasel.

I hope he loses interest in his little passion project soon. Marathoninvestigation.com is lousy.

I'm pretty sure he will lose interest when his supporters (running community?) stop caring about what he's doing.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Jwolf wrote:3) Qualifying for Boston is still a big deal, still something to strive for, still something to be proud of. Just because you don't want to do it again doesn't mean it doesn't have meaning for others. (And most people I know that have done it don't "brag" about it-- they are very humble yet proud.)

+1

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:36 am

Yeah....they just write journals about it on RM :wink:
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:24 am

tayken wrote:This just seems to continue to be a thing in almost every race :roll:

Getting a BQ is nothing to brag about anymore, and the sooner they just change the damn race into a lottery or better yet just another race, the better. I'll rather continue doing London, Chicago, Toronto, NYC, LA than wanting to do another beantown

Wow.... That's all I'm going to say about this.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

tayken wrote:Yeah....they just write journals about it on RM :wink:

The journals aren't for bragging, and if you think they are then you need to re-read them (maybe take off your judgy glasses first).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:13 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

The journals aren't for bragging, and if you think they are then you need to re-read them (maybe take off your judgy glasses first).

+1
I love reading the journals. It has nothing to do with bragging, but being happy to see the fruit of their labours. Many of them document the ups and downs of what it's like to put in the work day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. They take us through injuries and set backs, so why not the celebrations as well? I love reading that the hard work has paid off.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

+1
I love reading the journals. It has nothing to do with bragging, but being happy to see the fruit of their labours. Many of them document the ups and downs of what it's like to put in the work day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. They take us through injuries and set backs, so why not the celebrations as well? I love reading that the hard work has paid off.

+2
In addition, we encourage each other and give suggestions and helpful hints through our journals. It's a place where we find common ground to talk about the subtle pleasures or, sometimes, disappointments, of ordinary day-to-day running.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue May 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Right...I was only going by what a previous poster said "most people she knows who have done Boston, don't talk about it". I guess they just write journals publicly about it. Got it now :wink:

ultraslacker wrote:

On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue May 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you!

Robinandamelia wrote:
tayken wrote:This just seems to continue to be a thing in almost every race :roll:

Wow.... That's all I'm going to say about this.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue May 02, 2017 5:51 pm

dgrant wrote:The fact that these people happened to finish with what would be BQ results for the original bib buyer doesn't prove or even suggest that they were bib muling. If 500 people run a race with someone else's bib, some small number of them are going to coincidentally run a "BQ"... and yes some number of those will be doing it with nefarious intent. But just because he goes looking for BQ scammers doesn't mean everyone he finds is a BQ scammer.

Agreed. Begrudgingly. I like races that simply offer bib transfer for a small fee ($5 or $10) - really simple solution, compensates them for the hassle, and avoids this kind of stuff.

Once they register/run Boston with the result they didn't earn - then there's a role for sniffing them out and getting them BQ-DQ'd. Or if they accept a prize for an unearned result, etc. That's where marathoninvestigations does some really good and IMO much needed work for the community, to keep some semblance of integrity in the results.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
dgrant wrote:The fact that these people happened to finish with what would be BQ results for the original bib buyer doesn't prove or even suggest that they were bib muling. If 500 people run a race with someone else's bib, some small number of them are going to coincidentally run a "BQ"... and yes some number of those will be doing it with nefarious intent. But just because he goes looking for BQ scammers doesn't mean everyone he finds is a BQ scammer.

Agreed. Begrudgingly. I like races that simply offer bib transfer for a small fee ($5 or $10) - really simple solution, compensates them for the hassle, and avoids this kind of stuff.

The problem is that when races allow this, it creates a market for reselling bibs. There's a popular race in Vancouver that allows transfers. For many years, this race sold out within hours-- but many people registered knowing they could always resell their bib if they couldn't run (or decided not to). The fact that they allowed the transfers partly fueled the initial sell-outs. For big popular races you could definitely see this starting to happen.
For other races that don't sell out, RDs factor attrition into their costs, so likely race entries would increase overall. And many people still wouldn't bother going through the steps of transferring.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue May 02, 2017 6:29 pm

eff yeah!!! When I ran a 3:51 at the age of 51, the race gave me a bq plaque and I hung it in my office at work. It was the only plaque so everyone saw it. When I ran 80 miles in 20 hours, the race gave me a certificate and I hung it outside the door of my office so everybody saw it. Some people ask me where I went on vacation and I tell them I ran 4 marathons in 4 days; that sure puts them up! I love reading race reports because it reminds me that I too can achieve.

Sometimes bragging is awesomeness personified! Embody the achievement. Ordinary people can do extraordinary things. What we are doing here at rm is extraordinary.

Oh, you don't think running a 50k in 6 hours and 35 minutes is that great? Even for a 58 year old? Well check again. I am totally proud of myself that I did that in April. Go check my peer group and see how many can walk a mile. My bq days are in the past but accomplishment is for everyday. If people here like to share my joy, then I am happy to share.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

The problem is that when races allow this, it creates a market for reselling bibs.

Counterpoints (from the perspective of runner health and well-being):
- If you don't allow transfers, runners (especially newer ones) are incentivized to register for a sell-out race long before their training would suggest doing so is wise. We all know many, many runners who have registered six months in advance for a marquee race and then got injured trying to quickly ramp up mileage too aggressively. Maybe if they knew they could nab an entry a month before raceday that wouldn't happen as often.

- If you don't allow transfers, injured or undertrained runners are incentivized to show up at a start line they shouldn't because it's that or eat the cost. If I only have money for one $100 race per year, and I can't get out of this one I already paid for...

Personally I think those greatly outweigh the risk that people might start selling bibs at a markup. If the market dictates that the true value of that $100 entry is $150, then that's the value and nobody loses. It's a luxury entertainment product, not drinking water or heating fuel.

For other races that don't sell out, RDs factor attrition into their costs, so likely race entries would increase overall.

I'm not sure that's true. The huge bulk of race organizing fees are fixed (or relatively fixed)... venue/road closure fees, the police racket, marketing, salaries (for the big ones), equipment rental. Per runner costs are pretty small.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 pm

On the contrary, but then again I can pull up the results from a myriad of recent races where 59 plus year olds have better that 6hrs 35 mins. Greater yet, Ed Whitlock and others like him around his age each that time for breakfast!

Your accomplishments are commendable, and I have given you kudos in the past!

Spirit Unleashed wrote:eff yeah!!! When I ran a 3:51 at the age of 51, the race gave me a bq plaque and I hung it in my office at work. It was the only plaque so everyone saw it. When I ran 80 miles in 20 hours, the race gave me a certificate and I hung it outside the door of my office so everybody saw it. Some people ask me where I went on vacation and I tell them I ran 4 marathons in 4 days; that sure puts them up! I love reading race reports because it reminds me that I too can achieve.

Sometimes bragging is awesomeness personified! Embody the achievement. Ordinary people can do extraordinary things. What we are doing here at rm is extraordinary.

Oh, you don't think running a 50k in 6 hours and 35 minutes is that great? Even for a 58 year old? Well check again. I am totally proud of myself that I did that in April. Go check my peer group and see how many can walk a mile. My bq days are in the past but accomplishment is for everyday. If people here like to share my joy, then I am happy to share.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 pm

In this day and age, with everything electronic, there's no reason not to allow transfers, the way Ottawa race weekend does.

Charge a fee for the transfer and let them decide the price. Or even control the price through the transfer system, either way.

The only thing I dislike about the Ottawa is the limited time, it should be open from day one to just before race day.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 pm

dgrant wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

The problem is that when races allow this, it creates a market for reselling bibs.

Counterpoints (from the perspective of runner health and well-being):
- If you don't allow transfers, runners (especially newer ones) are incentivized to register for a sell-out race long before their training would suggest doing so is wise. We all know many, many runners who have registered six months in advance for a marquee race and then got injured trying to quickly ramp up mileage too aggressively. Maybe if they knew they could nab an entry a month before raceday that wouldn't happen as often.

- If you don't allow transfers, injured or undertrained runners are incentivized to show up at a start line they shouldn't because it's that or eat the cost. If I only have money for one $100 race per year, and I can't get out of this one I already paid for...

Personally I think those greatly outweigh the risk that people might start selling bibs at a markup. If the market dictates that the true value of that $100 entry is $150, then that's the value and nobody loses. It's a luxury entertainment product, not drinking water or heating fuel.

For other races that don't sell out, RDs factor attrition into their costs, so likely race entries would increase overall.

I'm not sure that's true. The huge bulk of race organizing fees are fixed (or relatively fixed)... venue/road closure fees, the police racket, marketing, salaries (for the big ones), equipment rental. Per runner costs are pretty small.

Interestingly I just found this, written by Dave McGillvray (RD of the Boston Marathon and other BAA events). He actually makes both my points there, and yours, and comes to the conclusion that races should accommodate transfers. [Well, except Boston.]

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-rac ... r-my-entry

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Interestingly I just found this, written by Dave McGillvray (RD of the Boston Marathon and other BAA events). He actually makes both my points there, and yours, and comes to the conclusion that races should accommodate transfers. [Well, except Boston.]

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-rac ... r-my-entry

Good link. I agree with him about year-to-year deferrals... not fair to race organizers to have to carry over wonky books.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 04, 2017 10:10 am

dgrant wrote:- If you don't allow transfers, runners (especially newer ones) are incentivized to register for a sell-out race long before their training would suggest doing so is wise. We all know many, many runners who have registered six months in advance for a marquee race and then got injured trying to quickly ramp up mileage too aggressively. Maybe if they knew they could nab an entry a month before raceday that wouldn't happen as often.

These are my main issues, especially with ultras. I have to register 10 months in advance for the races I want. That's so far that I have no idea whether I will be healthy or prepared for the race. I *hope* I will be, but it's way too far out to know. So I register and then train and hope for the best... but if things go wrong (as they often do in that time frame), then I'm either eating the cost or showing up underprepared, as I am for kneeknacker in July. I know I'm not trained for this race so I'll probably DNF, but I can't transfer and I already paid for it months ago so I might as well go out and complete as much as possible, right? It's frustrating, and these days it's *most* local ultras.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 am

Spirit Unleashed wrote:eff yeah!!! When I ran a 3:51 at the age of 51, the race gave me a bq plaque and I hung it in my office at work. It was the only plaque so everyone saw it. When I ran 80 miles in 20 hours, the race gave me a certificate and I hung it outside the door of my office so everybody saw it. Some people ask me where I went on vacation and I tell them I ran 4 marathons in 4 days; that sure puts them up! I love reading race reports because it reminds me that I too can achieve.

8)

Return to “General Running Discussion”