Setting your Time Zone

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
La
Kevin Sullivan

Setting your Time Zone

Postby La » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 am

In case you've set your profile to DST, here are the instructions to change it back:

If you want (care that?) the time of posts to display correctly on RM you have to change your time zone in your user profile (that is, if you changed it for DST).

Click on: User Control Panel
Board Preferences
Edit Global Settings
Select your appropriate time zone (I'd set mine to AST for DST, but now that we're back to EST, I've changed it back).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Setting your Time Zone

Postby La » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 am

Nevermind... apparently there is a DST radio button that you can check/uncheck. This must be new. :?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 am

not new... I haven't made any updates in ages. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 am

New to me, then. ;)

"Back in the day" there was no such button and you had to change your time zone manually. And walk uphill both ways to school in a foot of snow. Now, get off my lawn! :lol:
Last edited by La on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:26 am

i think it came when we switched over to the new format. 2009.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Except you still have to manually go back and click or unclick the "summer hours" option. You'd think this could be integrated automatically somehow.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Jwolf wrote:Except you still have to manually go back and click or unclick the "summer hours" option. You'd think this could be integrated automatically somehow.

You would think so but I couldn't find any way to do it. Maybe they have fixed it since we upgraded....will have to check the latest release to see if it is worth upgrading.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Nick wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Except you still have to manually go back and click or unclick the "summer hours" option. You'd think this could be integrated automatically somehow.

You would think so but I couldn't find any way to do it. Maybe they have fixed it since we upgraded....will have to check the latest release to see if it is worth upgrading.

yeah, seems to be a limitation in the software. But if there is an upgrade available we probably should upgrade anyway, no?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Jwolf wrote:But if there is an upgrade available we probably should upgrade anyway, no?

Well, I don't see any fabulous new features that would be available. However, we want to stay current enough that the next upgrade process is always simple....unlike last time. Holly has nothing better to do with her time, anyway. :D
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Y'all just have to live in the smart province where this isn't an issue.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Nick wrote:

yeah, seems to be a limitation in the software. But if there is an upgrade available we probably should upgrade anyway, no?

if i've learned anything from apple: no. :lol:

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Y'all just have to live in the smart province where this isn't an issue.

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Nick wrote:
Jwolf wrote:But if there is an upgrade available we probably should upgrade anyway, no?

Well, I don't see any fabulous new features that would be available. However, we want to stay current enough that the next upgrade process is always simple....unlike last time. Holly has nothing better to do with her time, anyway. :D

There are sometimes security issues with php software so if we aren't keeping up with the updates we could be at risk...

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Darth Tater wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:Y'all just have to live in the smart province where this isn't an issue.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Nick wrote:

There are sometimes security issues with php software so if we aren't keeping up with the updates we could be at risk...

Yeah, yeah...security is always risk vs. reward. There are new security issues daily but with a volunteer-based, non-commercial site it's always a balance. However, it is probably time for a release update.
Nicholas

Events in 2018

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:

Yeah yeah.

I know this is a few years ago now, but....

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Nick wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Nick wrote:

Yeah, yeah...security is always risk vs. reward. There are new security issues daily but with a volunteer-based, non-commercial site it's always a balance. However, it is probably time for a release update.

what's the risk? there's no sensitive info on here. we don't keep phone numbers or credit card info or even full names (unless you choose to include it somewhere in your profile). worst case scenario is someone stealing our email addresses (but trust me, the spammers already have them!).

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Nick wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Nick wrote:

what's the risk? there's no sensitive info on here. we don't keep phone numbers or credit card info or even full names (unless you choose to include it somewhere in your profile). worst case scenario is someone stealing our email addresses (but trust me, the spammers already have them!).

I thought the risks were more about viruses and other malicious links- not to our data.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:20 pm

It's up to the host to worry about viruses, not us. Not our problem.

ps: I don't have time for upgrades right now.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Hackers can use the username/password list maliciously. A lot of people use the same password on multiple sites.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Setting your Time Zone

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 pm

The password list? The passwords are encrypted and shouldn't be accessible, no?

I don't think that's the risk.
Last edited by Jwolf on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:26 pm

the passwords are encrypted.

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”