Future of RM

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Future of RM

Postby La » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 pm

tayken wrote:So when a poster eluded to the fact that someone is a "creep", where was the clique at that time to call this particular poster out on that?

Habs4ever wrote:But if you don't stand up for people and call them out on bad behaviour, isn't that just letting people get away with it?
Our kids are taught in school from a young age to take a stand against inappropriate behaviour and comments, shouldn't we as adults do the same?

1. Habs wasn't even involved in that discussion, so why are you calling her out?
2. Ian called your comment creepy, he didn't call you a creep.
3. It's alluded.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Whateves..I personally do not go out of my way to seek attention! If you don't like my posts, put me on "ignore". See, you have an option as opposed to feeling the need to engage me.

La wrote:
tayken wrote:So when a poster eluded to the fact that someone is a "creep", where was the clique at that time to call this particular poster out on that?

Habs4ever wrote:But if you don't stand up for people and call them out on bad behaviour, isn't that just letting people get away with it?
Our kids are taught in school from a young age to take a stand against inappropriate behaviour and comments, shouldn't we as adults do the same?

1. Habs wasn't even involved in that discussion, so why are you calling her out?
3. It's alluded.
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:44 pm

:shock: whoa! I was commenting in general to what IronColl had said (and you bolded). I wasn't even part of the ATB thread, I happen to be out running 35k that day and didn't realize it had turned to insults until it was locked!
I went back and looked at the thread just now. Ian didn't call you a creep, he said the post was creepy. But you in fact called Sarah Deck "scum like this" and "dirty cheat". I guess you feel that's OK?

Oh, and just so you know where I stand, I would back Ian 100% of the time. I've known him for 10 years and he has been nothing but helpful, kind and considerate to anyone who truly wants to learn and is seeking answers.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 pm

La wrote:

3. It's alluded.

Thanks La, I posted before I read this.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 pm

I couldn't care less where you stand or don't stand. I'm not losing sleep over this, and don't succumb to being part of a pack, not even when I was in high school. More of a leader than a follower :wink:

Habs4ever wrote:

:shock: whoa! I was commenting in general to what IronColl had said (and you bolded). I wasn't even part of the ATB thread, I happen to be out running 35k that day and didn't realize it had turned to insults until it was locked!
I went back and looked at the thread just now. Ian didn't call you a creep, he said the post was creepy. But you in fact called Sarah Deck "scum like this" and "dirty cheat". I guess you feel that's OK?

Oh, and just so you know where I stand, I would back Ian 100% of the time. I've known him for 10 years and he has been nothing but helpful, kind and considerate to anyone who truly wants to learn and is seeking answers.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Nick locked that thread to shut it down, so it's not really appropriate to keep rehashing it over here.... but it appears that some are still upset about it.

The reason I did not jump in to that one right away on that day was because I actually was a bit confused at ian's comment. I didn't really know what he meant by saying it was "creepy" (and yes, he said the comment was creepy, not you personally, tayken, and there is a difference!). I may have been super tired that day (and in the middle of moving!) but I couldn't actually see the train of thought and wasn't sure where the "creepy" came from. I originally thought that I would leave it because I thought ian would clarify what he meant, but then the thread just degenerated and then Nick (rightly) locked it.

ian's not the kind to go around throwing insults, so those of us who have known him for a long time probably just shrugged it off as a misunderstanding and didn't think too much about how it might have looked to someone who is relatively new to RM. You know when you know someone well and then one day they say something that seems out of character and you just go, "what?" and then move on? It was like that... so I'm sorry if it came across as dismissive or cliquey or whatever. That wasn't intentional.

In any case, the job of moderators and admin are to keep things from sliding too far, so yes we will step in when we deem appropriate. It's not required that everyone agrees with where we draw those lines, but overall I think we've done a pretty good job of keeping things respectful and supportive without squelching healthy debate, in spite of what the 1% of dissenters might argue. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 pm

@ultraslacker...I truly and sincerely appreciate your take on this matter! You hit the nail on the head when you said, "you couldn't fathom where the "creepy" was derived from. It was that and that only that made me thing WTH? I get it that people might claim that they know someone, but how many times in real life have we heard / seen when something bad like murder happens, neighbours or friends coming out of the woodwork with the lines...."that person is not like that", "they are from a good family" and other BS like that.

The people that jumped in for the poster failed to see the impact of the comment, and instead for some weird reason speak on behalf of the poster. Only Mark.AU had the decency to point out the obvious. To me, that is good bystander intervention if people have heard of it.

Anyway, again thanks for your post. I'm just a person that enjoys running, as opposed to dramatics or wanting virtual strangers to like me online.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Back on topic... I stopped posting because I didn't have anything left to post about. That led me to eventually stop lurking.

I come back every now and then to see if anything earth-shattering has happened.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 pm

I like the idea of contributing an article monthly. I've been posting more to my own blog as of late, and believe I have a lot to contribute about the UltraRunning world.
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 am

I love the idea of an RM instagram! Colleen, my profile is private but if I had any running pictures could I send them to you/IG account guru to post?

I still come for the friendships and reading journals like IC, La, Habs, and Avis. I have hardly run since Toddler*smiles was born so this inspires me to stay active.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:15 am

daddy_runner wrote:I like the idea of contributing an article monthly. I've been posting more to my own blog as of late, and believe I have a lot to contribute about the UltraRunning world.

Maybe you could copy and paste what you write in your blog to here? I always enjoy reading your postings.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:22 am

Habs4ever wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:I like the idea of contributing an article monthly. I've been posting more to my own blog as of late, and believe I have a lot to contribute about the UltraRunning world.

Maybe you could copy and paste what you write in your blog to here? I always enjoy reading your postings.

Can do.
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:26 am

ok let me get back to you guys on these contribution ideas this weekend, k? I can set some stuff up for the people who have volunteered to contribute.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:37 am

I could coordinate instagram, if you need a volunteer for a RM account.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:38 am

eme wrote:I could coordinate instagram, if you need a volunteer for a RM account.

Isn't that what IronColl was offering?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 am

ultraslacker wrote:
eme wrote:I could coordinate instagram, if you need a volunteer for a RM account.

Isn't that what IronColl was offering?

Sorry, I misunderstood.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:44 am

No worries, we can have more than one person. I have a few ideas rolling around now.... give me to the weekend.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 am

ultraslacker wrote:No worries, we can have more than one person. I have a few ideas rolling around now.... give me to the weekend.

I'm good for other social media as well, let me know what you need.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Something to think about: there are undoubtedly a few members of the forum, myself being one, who choose not to use Instagram, Facebook, etc.

While we may be viewed as being luddites for not embracing "social media," we do so by choice. Participation rates on a number of sites such as Runningmania are under threat from competition with social media platforms.

I know this to be true in the case of an association to which I belong. When I spoke with a fellow member about the lack of postings on our association site, he said, "Well,there's lots of stuff on our Facebook page!"

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:52 pm

5km wrote:Something to think about: there are undoubtedly a few members of the forum, myself being one, who choose not to use Instagram, Facebook, etc.

While we may be viewed as being luddites for not embracing "social media," we do so by choice. Participation rates on a number of sites such as Runningmania are under threat from competition with social media platforms.

I know this to be true in the case of an association to which I belong. When I spoke with a fellow member about the lack of postings on our association site, he said, "Well,there's lots of stuff on our Facebook page!"

Your last comment applies to a group I'm affiliated with and they point people to their website, but rarely update it :roll:

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, the purpose of RM on Instagram is the point people to the site/forum? The RM FB group is very quiet.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 pm

the strength of RM has always been the unique crossover between online/offline community. We "meet" online and we meet offline and the community exists in both... on top of that we have a wealth of archived information here that you can't find on platforms like facebook groups, so we'd never want to move away from that model. So yes, the purpose of social media would be to increase activity in general but not to pull away from the forum... this would still remain the central hub, but I'd love it if we had other forms of activity reaching out and drawing people into here. The facebook group can be awesome for organizing events if we start using it that way, and for people who want to start blogging we can use the blog feature on this website and then tweet them and post them to facebook. As for instagram, we could have one or two ambassadors in cities across the country representing RM and posting photos from events and races... that would be cool. Lots of neat things we could do, if the volunteers are there to make it happen. I can set up accounts (again, give me to the weekend when I can start working on that part).

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm guilty of not getting on here very frequently any more, and honestly it's because I'm rarely on a desktop other than at work, and I find forums clunky on mobile (even with an app). The only reason I check in to see how old friends are doing - both in training and in life - though I do keep up with many of you on social media.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I'm guilty of not getting on here very frequently any more, and honestly it's because I'm rarely on a desktop other than at work, and I find forums clunky on mobile (even with an app). The only reason I check in to see how old friends are doing - both in training and in life - though I do keep up with many of you on social media.

so if our social media accounts were more active, would that help?

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:41 pm

I don't mean for this post to upset anyone or be contentious. The site is still used by a few people who seem to enjoy it and that has value.

However...

I don't think using social media to funnel in users will have any benefit without first or concurrently upgrading the forum's content. If I were a new user seeing RM for the first time now, I'd see 10 or 15 users (who know each other very well but are strangers to me) chatting among themselves. There are very few debates or "Hey, checkout what I found" posts or questions that might incite a new user to login to answer or say "I'd like to know too". What is there to engage a new person or bring back old ones? What can I sink my teeth into?

If the current users aim to increase membership and have more conversations, they should consider whether their posts would be of interest to anyone who hasn't known them personally for years. Maybe for every time you post that you ran 12km this morning or you had a rough day at work:

- Post a link to and comment upon some interesting running-related thing you saw recently.
- Post a reply when someone else does the above. Use content to create more content.
- Get in some lively, civilized arguments. Debates aren't just for people who like to fight.
- Post pictures.

Back in the day when we built this site from nothing to something, it took a few people consciously creating conversation for conversation's sake. And yes, it risked other people saying "Why are you always stirring things up?" or "Why would you want to go for beers with someone you only know online?" or "I think you like to hear your own voice". But that's what grew the site. It takes a lot of behind-the-scenes machinations to create what looks like organic growth. You can't build things by being shy or cool.

Of course the social media landscape was completely different in 2005, and the reality is that maybe the battle for message boards is too uphill in 2017.

(Having said all that, I'm personally not willing to do any of the above. I like my running kept to its simplest these days, and I don't have much to talk about.)

(Having said "having said all that"... One idea I had a couple years ago in the months leading up to the 10th anniversary was to encourage "Where are you know" posts from lapsed original users on their respective 10th RM anniversaries. Between 2015 and maybe 2020 there would have been a steady stream of people having 10th anniversaries, and it might have reengaged users to post their updates and periodically check in to read those of others.
Maybe that's an idea.)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I think in the early days that was actually easier because we had the initial influx of 100ish excited founders starting us off with a flurry of activity, posts, events, etc. Now we're down to a handful and we're all just *comfortable*. We do need new blood and new ideas and new excitement. My hope is to generate a bit of momentum... it might happen slowly at first but with a bit of work hopefully would snowball a bit... does that make sense? I wouldn't expect it to happen overnight.

I do like the "where are you now" idea. Could we do a campaign and draw some of those people back, even if only briefly?

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”