Can Anxiety Elevate Heart Rate

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Can Anxiety Elevate Heart Rate

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:43 pm

As many of you know life has been quite stressful in the past few months.

I am getting a wee bit discouraged. I notice that my HR for perceived exertion seems to be 10 - 15 beats more than usual.

To be honest for many of my runs I have left my HR Monitor at home because it's just so stressful to try and keep in the zone I'm used to and not be able to without walking instead of running.

Any insight from anyone...much appreciated..I just e-mailed Mike about this...I confess...this has been happening for the past two months but I've been in denial so didn't mention it to him :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Absolutely, jo-jo .... stress, dehydration, the hot/humidity, lack of consistent rest/sleepy time, etc. can increase your heart rate ... :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:56 pm

So...what do I do..adjust my HR zones...to allow for this elevated HR.

I am so confused...I hope Mike ...or a Maniac can shed some light :D
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:59 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:So...what do I do..adjust my HR zones...to allow for this elevated HR.

I am so confused...I hope Mike ...or a Maniac can shed some light :D

Unless, you have a specific Race/Goal ... just run for fun, until you find you mojo back, jo-jo .... it appears that you, both mentally and physically, need a break right now from structured training, imo :roll: :P :wink:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Andy,

I think you are right. I was hoping to do a couple HalfM's in the Fall but I am beginning to reconsider that game plan.

I think I might be better off just working at getting my mojo back...keeping my base so I can train for Boston in 2008.

And complete highjack here...Andy..C-Moss would like a visit...I'll phone you about that :D

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Jo-Jo, I'm sorry that you have been dealing with so much stress over the past few months. Anxiety absolutely can increase your heart rate, as well as your blood pressure.

Two years ago when I was caring for my mom who was into the latter stages of Alzheimers, my stress/anxiety level was through the roof. That was when my doctor suggested I buy both a HR monitor and a blood pressure monitor. I wasn't even exercising at the time (didn't have any free time at all). Elevated heart rate and elevated blood pressure are two of the first signs of stress. I think it's important to find ways to deal with the anxiety. If running isn't doing it for you, perhaps something else, in addition to running, would. Yoga, meditation... something.

Good luck my dear. (I'm older than you so I can call you dear .. or better yet, dearie! :D )
-:¦:-.•:*♥*:•.-:¦:--
"If you can’t fly, run.
If you can’t run, walk.
If you can’t walk, crawl,
but by all means keep moving."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:26 pm

i would say Andy is right on the money, just run for stress relief/fun, dont even wear a watch - worrying about your HR will only make things worse

at the end of the day ask yourself this question

What would Zappa do?
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm not sure how Mike has calcualted your zones. If he's factored in your morning resting heart rate, then likely that's what's elevated. Check with him on how to re-calculate your zones. Or do as others have suggested and just back off your workouts and go by PE rather than HR.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 pm

Lä wrote:I'm not sure how Mike has calcualted your zones. If he's factored in your morning resting heart rate, then likely that's what's elevated. Check with him on how to re-calculate your zones. Or do as others have suggested and just back off your workouts and go by PE rather than HR.
from what I hear this Mike is quite the hottie and even old Midge's ticker might be set to race mode standing next to him :wink:
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Midge wrote:
Lä wrote:I'm not sure how Mike has calcualted your zones. If he's factored in your morning resting heart rate, then likely that's what's elevated. Check with him on how to re-calculate your zones. Or do as others have suggested and just back off your workouts and go by PE rather than HR.
from what I hear this Mike is quite the hottie and even old Midge's ticker might be set to race mode standing next to him :wink:

Ummm...Midge...Mike lives in Victoria..he may be a hottie but I only see him once a year..hmm...mind you we do have a dinner date on August 2nd...maybe that's what my prob is :wink: :wink:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm

My zones were calculated by testing at Peak Performance out of Ottawa.

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:45 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

My zones were calculated by testing at Peak Performance out of Ottawa.

I was tested at the Peak center in September 2006 and my zones were established based on that test.

Then I returned for a second test around January 2007 - at the time I was under a lot of stress with work and personal worries and this affected my test and all my zones. My coach at the time decided to change all my training zones, saying that an elevated HR is a signal from the body to slow down and it is important to listen to these signals and adjust training accordingly.

As soon as he adjusted the zones I felt much better in my training even though I had to slow down (I was still doing all the intense workouts, but at a pace my body was agreeing with a bit more)

After a few months everything went back to normal and my zones were adjusted back up.

Listen to your body (and to your fellow maniacs!)
:wink:
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks Friends...I have sent a long e-mail to Mike...and I will let you know what he says...but my hunch is telling me that he is going to tell me to back off being so goal focused and run to find my mojo again.

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:55 pm

STEP AWAY FROM THE GADGETS....

8)

Really! :wink:
Next up:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:02 pm

dgrant1 wrote:STEP AWAY FROM THE GADGETS....

8)

I hear you...that's just where I'm at these days...and will be talking to Mike about that...I need to find some joy in running again...I really do want to run Boston 2008 and the way I feel these days I could care less. :roll:

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
dgrant1 wrote:STEP AWAY FROM THE GADGETS....

8)

I hear you...that's just where I'm at these days...and will be talking to Mike about that...I need to find some joy in running again...I really do want to run Boston 2008 and the way I feel these days I could care less. :roll:

mmhhh...you have plenty of time to think about that (and if I recall, you are also qualified for Boston 2009 :) )
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Can Anxiety Elevate Heart Rate

Postby Kelodie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:21 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:As many of you know life has been quite stressful in the past few months.

I am getting a wee bit discouraged. I notice that my HR for perceived exertion seems to be 10 - 15 beats more than usual.

To be honest for many of my runs I have left my HR Monitor at home because it's just so stressful to try and keep in the zone I'm used to and not be able to without walking instead of running.

Any insight from anyone...much appreciated..I just e-mailed Mike about this...I confess...this has been happening for the past two months but I've been in denial so didn't mention it to him :roll:

Jo-Jo, being discouraged while anxious won't help you. :( Many have said this already, but right now, I think you need to cut yourself some slack and just work at getting yourself back to where you were emotionally. In the process, running will become a great stress reliever rather than a stress cause.

Good luck Jo-Jo!
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Definitely! Heart rate can be affected by anxiety. Stop worrying about the numbers and just relax-- run for fun if it helps you. Just the idea of worrying about your heart rate can also cause anxiety-- so I agree-- leave the gadgets at home for now.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Jwolf wrote:Definitely! Heart rate can be affected by anxiety. Stop worrying about the numbers and just relax-- run for fun if it helps you. Just the idea of worrying about your heart rate can also cause anxiety-- so I agree-- leave the gadgets at home for now.

Jen ...I was hoping you would check in...I do value your opinion...yep...I think I know what I need to do..

Thanks all you Maniacs.... :D

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Jo-Jo, the stress will diminish, eventually. Meanwhile, make yours and the people around you's health and well being a priority. I like the suggestion from others of running for fun. You're still running, so it's not that you will fall off your training schedule, you are just relaxing it a bit. It will come back fairly quickly once you are able to get "life" back under control.

Chin up, g/f!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:36 am

I agree, it is affected. I'm also going through a really stressful time at work (which I can't seem to leave there), and yesterday as soon as I put on my hr monitor I was at 110 :? I'm still resting and just doing a bit of running/biking/swimming right now, so I'm hoping some resolution will be in sight by the time I start training again.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks Friends,

As usual you are "right on the money"

Mike e-mailed me yesterday and said I should be running for the joy of running and stress management these days...and that he is backing off from training schedules.

As luck has it he will be in Kingston in two weeks and we will have some time to hang out together...over dinner and during a couple runs. The timing could not be more perfect.

Thanks for your input...so much appreciated :D

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Have you tried yoga? It's a great de-stresser (is that a word?) and it's done wonderful things for my HR/anxiety/flexibility/strength. I'm in love with it right now :D

Of course a good cathartic cry can do wonders too :D

Don't forget Irongirl's signature "I run for me"
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:03 pm

farmgirlinthecity wrote:Have you tried yoga? It's a great de-stresser (is that a word?) and it's done wonderful things for my HR/anxiety/flexibility/strength. I'm in love with it right now :D

Of course a good cathartic cry can do wonders too :D

Don't forget Irongirl's signature "I run for me"

Jenn,

Re: Funny you should ask...I have signed up for an hour Yoga/Pilates class on Monday evenings with some co-workers....this was their idea...way before I knew what this summer would be like!

Re: crying...oh yep...done that too :D :roll:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Thanks Friends,

As usual you are "right on the money"

Mike e-mailed me yesterday and said I should be running for the joy of running and stress management these days...and that he is backing off from training schedules.

As luck has it he will be in Kingston in two weeks and we will have some time to hang out together...over dinner and during a couple runs. The timing could not be more perfect.

Thanks for your input...so much appreciated :D

Who needs a Coach when you have all of us ... tee hee :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Return to “Training ”