the non-running club

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

the non-running club

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:01 pm

this is for all those who aren't injured but aren't running... in my case apparently I no longer care to run. Someone said that will change with a break... we'll see.

Right now I feel guilty about not running and sad that the rest of this year's goals are going down the drain. But other than that, I feel fine. I don't even want to run. I like the extra time I have without trying to fit that into my schedule, and I like having less laundry to wash... and the thought even occurred to me yesterday that if I'm not running I can spend money on normal clothes instead of always running clothes and shoes.

So I think... for the rest of the year I will just run if/when I feel like it. No program, no pressure. If I decide to start training again in January, great. If not... apparently other things in my life are taking precedence right now!

who else is on a break?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:03 pm

sign me up! so many muscle troubles right now that i can't even think about running.

trying to get my butt off the couch to do some yoga and strength training but i am so discouraged that it is all i can do to get my physio stuff done.

please pass the chocolate.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:27 pm

I'll join you too. No running for me until next year - I currently bob in the pool a couple times per week. 8)

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 pm

I am running, but barely. For fun, when I want and for how little I want.
Weights seem more fun lately. I did a whopping 4k with Crossfit yesterday and 3.5k today before the elliptical seemed more intersesting.

I am going to concentrate on weights for a while. See how that goes...

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:31 pm

someone better chase me or I wont be running again either :-/
Just call me the thread killa

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Dani wrote:I am running, but barely. For fun, when I want and for how little I want.
Weights seem more fun lately. I did a whopping 4k with Crossfit yesterday and 3.5k today before the elliptical seemed more intersesting.

I am going to concentrate on weights for a while. See how that goes...

maybe I should do the same--start going to the gym at the U!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 pm

That was me from Vancouver (May 6th) until Melissa's (September 22nd).

There's no reason to feel guilty. Your hobby isn't supposed to make you feel guilty (that's what your job and family are for :) ), your hobby is supposed to make you happy. Do things that make you happy. If you're doing things that make you happy, no reason to feel guilty.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:43 pm

It's a never-ending circle. I know I will feel better if I run, but I simply don't want to run. How can something that has been such a huge part of my life for so long suddenly fill me with dread?

The longer I go without running, the harder it will be to start up again and all that fitness level is slowly slipping away. :oops:

I want to want to run.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm ready for my half to be over NOW. I don't feel like scheduling runs anymore. I think it's because I usually do an earlier fall half. So by now, I am done the training. The darker mornings and evenings make me want to hibernate, not run.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym when this is done in 2 weeks. I'll take a break then until I start training for a spring half.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:15 pm

i'm scheduled for another 10k and a half before the year is over, but i just want to hibernate :evil:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Geesh Holly, you started the non-running club recruiting without me!!

I am officially in. Running has not been fun lately, and until it is, i am not running. I am ok with it, since i fit nicely into my "extra skinny" jeans. When i stop fitting into them (which may happen after fried zuchinni, wine and Ben and Jerry's at dinner tonight :oops: :oops: ) then i may be back on the bandwagon. I was looking at pilates classes today!

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:07 pm

sign me up

no running right now due to health and some emotional issues - I want to get back at it but it has been so damn long I am afraid to even when I am allowed to
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Fall is SOOO hard! I was just saying this to my RMT- we are both feeling the burnout of the long season. Sad though, cause fall is so great to run in.

Maybe you all should get on a bike and join the darkside!! :)

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:38 pm

I could have written this, Holly. This year has been very goal-oriented for me and after my first triathlon at the beginning of August, I lost my mojo but kept going because there were still 2 key events in my year. After these were done, I felt a huge relief at not having to run and being able to skip one training run if I wanted/needed to. Following my last race, I was injured but I wanted to do Run for the Mouse and Run for the Cure. After that, I was SO HAPPY I had the injury as an excuse not to run. Suddenly, I had time to cook, time to run errands, time to go to the gym, time to relax. :D It was paradise and I seriously wondered why I would ever start running again.

2 weeks later, I wanted to run, was desperate to get an endorphins fix. I ran on the TM yesterday, very slow, and only for 30 minutes and it was wonderful. I am seriously considering running for pleasure only for the next little while. I'm sick of training programs, sick of feeling guilty because I missed one run, sick of having to choose between my life and my training. I envy the people who don't race, who are happy running 5K every two days. I'll be my own version of these people for now. :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't think I ever had mojo. :oops: :oops: :shifty:

Amber-Leigh
Johnny Miles

Postby Amber-Leigh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:17 pm

This is a funny topic. I had started to train early in the season to run a couple of races this fall, but I was struggling with an injury in the middle of my trianing. That was at the end of July. So instead of getting frustrated and feeling bad and running myself into the ground, i ditched my training schedule and geared down alot.
Since August I have just been running when i want and for how long i want to depending on how I feel. And it has been great!! I feel good I still love going out for my fall run when I want to, not when my schedule says.
I think for most of us we can be so scheduled in our everyday to day things that when it carries over to our hobbies we start to resent it. Gearing down and listening to your body and heart is smart. Take a break and enjoy life.
Amber-Leigh
Done:
March 25-ATB w/ a_beacher
May 13- London Half

Up Next: Toronto Half

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" -Geaorge Elliot

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:37 pm

great thread, Holly!

I didn't run a step for 5 weeks.

I'm on 3 weeks of running again, and, to be honest, you wouldn't know that i took those 5 weeks off.

I add this to the thread just as a reminder/encouragement to those that are worried about losing fitness.

The first week back will be tough, but, your muscles don't forget the training that they've had.

When you want to run again - you'll love it! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Holly, I'm with you on this one -- I'm only actually running when I manage to get suited up and out the door. Great thing though: every run lately has been a good run. I'm confident that someday soon I'll feel like really getting back on a schedule, but for now, I enjoy running when I run, and I'm trying not to drown myself in non-running guilt. :)
BG

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 pm

wow, I had no idea that so many people are feeling the same way! Glad to hear I'm not alone! :)

I think I'll go to the gym tomorrow... I have a feeling that if I do other stuff for awhile it won't be long before I'm saying, "this sucks, I want to run!" lol!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:10 pm

I wonder how much of this is driven by our constant desire to race? Don't you find there is a "season" of burn out? I usually do.... and it is often in the fall........ I lay low and rejuvenate.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

D-Man
Bill Crothers

Postby D-Man » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 pm

yep, I'm on a break too... haven't done anything since the middle of August.

Right now, sleep, studying, school and work are my priorities right now. I'm getting (on average) 6-7 hrs of sleep/night. I can't do the 3-4 hrs like I did in high school.

I'll wait till exams are done and I might get back at it.

My HRM already has a thick layer of dust :oops:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:29 pm

Size5 wrote:I wonder how much of this is driven by our constant desire to race? Don't you find there is a "season" of burn out?

I think it would be easy to burn out if you thought of every season as a race season (or just running)-- lately I've been thinking more of the idea of training in cycles: Fall- base-building, spring- hard training/peak race, summer- recovery, try something new.

I think BJH's three seasons are Winter-- Ski; Summer- triathlon; Fall-- running.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:00 pm

Even if I was physically able to, I wouldn't want to run right now.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 am

Took a lot of time off this summer due to medical, work reasons (besides i hate running in the heat). When IG presented the 1 month challenge I reluctantly took it on and now feel great about my running again.

Each run is a 5-6 k event so no great planning involved, from getting dressed to cooling down it is just an hour out of my day that i have always used for personal fitness. No big recovery days etc and on days when i do not feel like running I just go for a similar distance walk.

I have basically decided that I will not be training for "events" until i really feel the urge. I used to think i needed an event such as a 1/2 or full to motivate me and now i find that it really becomes a burden unless you already have the motivation to do it.
Last edited by garth on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:14 am

:shock:
So... some of you guys are stooping down to my usual level :roll:

....while I am really contemplating running on a semi regular basis....

There's a great disturbance in The Force :think:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “Training ”