team training?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

JamesP123
Johnny Miles

team training?

Postby JamesP123 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:27 am

I was just wondering...is it true that team training helps more than running on your own or with a few other runners?

I have been running on my own or with a freind between cross and track and I have always got more out of my training when im not with a team..I think im a selfish runner , so running workouts with a bunch of people distracts me. I wanna get better any way thats possible..so is it possible to get the same type of workout, without boing on a track team?
--Pain is about seeing how strong you are mentaly--

PR's
800m: 2:00
1500m:4:14
5km:16:56
10km:36:47

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:52 am

in my limited experience, it is such a personal thing.

when i run alone, i tend to start out too fast and suck badly.

when i run with a group, i am usually chatting. okay - always talking - i never shut up. this helps with pacing.

i run for fitness, life balance and the social aspect. other folks may be more concerned with speed, improvement, milestones, etc.

do what makes you happy.

it is possible though that you aren't stretching as much as you could if you ran with someone faster.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 am

It's very individual. Some people find that training with a team or club helps to push them to the next level. Others find that it pushes them too hard or not enough. I have heard some people say that they did their best once they left a team or group.

You say you want to get better in whatever way possible, but that means you have to figure out what works best for you. You can definitely improve on your own, but you might benefit from an outside perspective/coaching-- that doesn't necessarily mean a team, but you can get good personalized coaching in some teams or clubs.

JamesP123
Johnny Miles

Postby JamesP123 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:12 am

I like the idea of personalized coaching , I tend to push myself harder when I am running alone , but do love how much fun a team can have before and after workouts.
--Pain is about seeing how strong you are mentaly--

PR's

800m: 2:00

1500m:4:14

5km:16:56

10km:36:47

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 am

I prefer to hammer out my quality workouts alone. I'm usually alone when things get tough in a race so it prepares me. However, not every workout is high quality running. The quality of the 1 or 2 club runs I attend weekly is of a different purpose. Ever try talking to a coworker or family about running? Their eyes quickly glaze over. Your efforts are misunderstood. I find it hard to be passionate about something and not have peers to share it with. Sure it is possible to maintain a high quality of running alone, but I find the pbs are sweeter when you have people to share them with.
What time is LOVE?

Return to “Training ”