Cross training torture!

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Cross training torture!

Postby mayhem » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Went this morning for my first ever "real" kick boxing workout. Not the average franchise class, I mean a real class that trains fighters.....and HOLY CRAPOLA!!!!

I have never EVER sweated like that before. My arms were feeling it an hour after, putting on eyeliner was not difficult but not easy like normal.

Go ahead and try it, if you dare!
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)
"Success is my only motherf*****g option, failure's not" Eminem~Lose Yourself

starting_over
Tom Longboat

Postby starting_over » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:50 pm

I used to go to a real kickboxing class and I know exactly what you mean. I was aching all over after every class...and yes...immediately after! Great workout for sure.

I found the outside of my hips killed with all the kicks too...ooo bringing back bad/good memories!!!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Yup I've done that before. It's crazy. :lol: But it's also a complete blast.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:08 am

I used to do it too, loved it. But when I moved to Edmonton it became a lot more expensive, so I stopped.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:36 am

I've never tried it, but I would love to! They just opened a new karate studio here, debating about that - anyone ever done any karate? This one is Kempo(?) Karate.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:13 am

Pat,

I haven't done karate, but my 7 year old does, and she's a machine she's so strong. I went to a "bring your adult" class one night, and it took 3 days for my quads to recover. It was a Friday night, and I missed all my planned runs for the weekend because I could barely move. My daughter also has really, really strong glutes from karate.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:29 am

I did the tone down version at work on Friday, a tae-box class but the teacher is a real boxer (she has a fight next Friday). My hat was full of sweat and I had trouble keeping up. Very good work-out! I can't imagine how hard the real version would be!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:39 am

I have always wanted to try it or Muay Thai (sp?). It looks like an amazing workout. Good for you!

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:28 am

trixiee wrote:I've never tried it, but I would love to! They just opened a new karate studio here, debating about that - anyone ever done any karate? This one is Kempo(?) Karate.

I did Shorin-Ryu when I was in highschool (with the guy who was the Canadian head of the style) and quite enjoyed it. Like so many things it depends on the instructor. The instructors at my dojo were all cops by day, so they were really into promoting the self-defence aspect of it. I also liked that they instilled good discipline, but never made anyone feel bad or singled anyone out and they were never so serious that I feared making a mistake or not being able to laugh at myself. They commanded respect and discipline at the right times and knew when to laugh. I went to another dojo when I was in university and I found it a bit too 'offensive' and so I didn't keep it up.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Postby mayhem » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 am

Well biceps and shoulders are tender today. Will go for a run and see how that loosens things up.
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)
"Success is my only motherf*****g option, failure's not" Eminem~Lose Yourself

puttputt
Johnny Miles

Postby puttputt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:48 pm

I agree with fe.sweetpea - it's all about the instructors. There are many different styles of karate and many styles of martial arts so it's actually quite difficult to compare them.

But the workout is total body and amazing!
puttputt --- because that's how I run.

2009 REGISTERED:
Sporting Life 10k - 3 May
Toronto Women's Half-Marathon - 31 May
Acura Ten-Miler - 19 Jul
Midsummer Night's Run 30k - 22 Aug (gulp)

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:04 pm

I did a boxing /kick-boxing workout with my trainer today, first time ever and it was AWESOME! I'd love to have a bag and gloves...maybe if we ever get around to redoing the "workout" room. (currently the treadmill & storage room :roll:).
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Return to “Training ”