Discouraged...

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Discouraged...

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm so discouraged these days and I thought you guys would understand. See, I started running over a year ago and have had that goal of running my first 10K in May in Ottawa. The problem is that I keep getting the same injury, and I'm wondering if I'm made for running at all or if I should just give up. :cry:

It started in September last year, when I reached the "easy 3 x 10:1" stage in my training. I was ready for more and started thinking I could run a 10K with proper training. I signed up for a 10K clinic and things started going downhill from there. First, I was in an advanced group and this totally discouraged me because I'm very slow and I couldn't keep up. But then, 2 weeks into the clinic, I got injured. My lower back hurt very badly. I rested and then I saw a chiro, who said there was no big problems and worked on my lower back for 6 weeks while telling me to put ice on it everyday for 6 weeks. (a bad thing to do, as I learned afterwards)

Anyway, the chiro didn't help much and I went to see my osteopath. 3 treatments later, the pain was 95% gone and I could start LTR again. I was so motivated and planned to run my first 10K in May 2006. Everything was going fine until I hit the "2x10:1" week of LTR. The pain is back, and I think it's worst than it was last Fall.

I'm now seeing a physio and she says the problem is not so much my lower back as it is my hips. The muscles around the hips are apparently not strong enough to support my hips and my harmstings are much too tight, which causes problems when I run "longer distances". I'm doing exercises but the pain doesn't go away - it remains at the same level no matter what I do.

I'm having trouble working, because I can't sit for a long time before it hurts too much. I feel guilty taking time off from work because I can't sit. I'm not really sick, you know, I'm just in a lot of pain. And most people don't have a lot of compassion for people who injure themselves while running. You probably know that already.

In the last week, my left harmstring has started to burn and tingle. Or maybe it's a nerve, I don't know. It hurts, that, I know.

I don't want to stop running and I want to be pain-free, but the 2 seem not to go together.

Does anyone have advice or encouragements? How long does it usually take to see results from physio and stretching/exercises? Did one of you ever take many days off from work because of a running injury and how did the boss react?

Thank you for reading...

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:51 pm

I feel for you, Kelodie. Don't quit running, but you have to take care of those hips first. I am sure you'll get lots of advice here, but I'll throw in my inexperienced 2 cents as well. I'd drop the goal of the 10k race in May. Listen to your physiotherapist and chiro, and take this next while to do what you have to do to strengthen those hips. A 10k race isn't worth it. You can do that later. Getting to a point without pain is the most important thing here.

Please keep us posted. And it's okay to feel discouraged, just don't let it take over.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 pm

First of all, I agree with Angela. The beauty of the 10K distance is that there are at least a couple every month in the summer time. You won't have a hard time finding a substitue for NCM.

Second, the problems you are describing are not uncommon. I haven't personally had them so I have no advice, but just don't take your eyes off the light at the end of the tunnel. And don't feel like you just weren't meant for running. Think of the people in this club who have had really catastrophic illnesses or injuries and fought their way back.

You will have success! Maybe in March, maybe in May, maybe next year...but when you write that first 10K race report it will all be worth it!

FreeHeel
Percy Williams

Postby FreeHeel » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Hey there!

Sorry to hear about your back pain and your frustration.

Have you tried going to a massage therapist? Although I don't have a running injury - I was in a really bad car wreck ~ 1.5 years ago - that up until 6 months ago left me feeling dizzy, headachy, "fuzzy" (like I couldn't concentrate) and really achy through my neck/upper back.

Medically, there was nothing wrong with me - CAT scan, MRI, and a horde of other traditional medical tests - had me diagnosed as healthy - but I was missing work and because I felt dreadful - I "checked" out of life. I was also starting to feel a "little crazy" because nothing was obviously wrong with me.

For me, I found that chiropractic combined with a good Registered Massage Therapist and a solid strength training program- were the ticket to feeling more and more like myself.

I know its discouraging to want to be out running - especially since you had identified a great goal. But it is critical to listen to your body. Maybe running isn't the best option right now. Are there other activities you like and can do that don't aggravate your back pain?

With pain, I have found that finding the right solution is an iterative process. Everyone is different and not every suggestion is going to work for everyone - but for what its worth - I understand your frustration.

Wishing you health,

Laura.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:40 pm

I agree with that you should get your hip/back problem under control before worrying about doing a 10K race. Other races will always be there.

It sure sounds like you need a strengthening program, one which takes into account your current problems. I also agree with Laura. My massage therapist is awesome and she seems able to get a proper diagnosis every time.

I wish you luck, Kelodie.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:05 pm

My suggestion is get thy to a gym.

Several years ago and out of shape, wanting to lose some weight I hit the gym. It was also to deal with a chronic low back problem and I got tired to going to a chiro,etc so decided I had to strengthen the back and the core. And since I was there doing that, worked the entire body. Every Sunday was 3 hours of weights and cardio - bike, elliptical, rower, etc.

So after a couple of years when a co-worker convinced me that the running I was doing as cross training made me ready to enter my first race, I was able to run relatively pain free.

When I get into injury trouble is too much running and not enough gym.

So my advice is get a good strength and stretch base with some low impact cardio. Once that has been established, the running will be much easier and more fun as it will not hurt as much. I would love to tell you it is quick fix but in my case it was two years of gym and some "jogging" before I started to race and train for races. Now if I had also be stretching as much as I do now, take off a considerable amount of time.

Treatment will get one through the acute phase, but to stop a chronic problem that has to be addressed at attacking the root problem. Strength and stretch will attack what appears to be your problem.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi Kelodie, I hear ya gal! I'm off right now due to injury too. If you could afford one,along with the advise given already, a good Personal Trainer at the gym for a few sessions would likely help - with making sure you're lifting properly, and targeting the right muscle group.

Good Luck! Keep us in the loop!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:56 pm

I've also been off several times due to injuries. It's awful and I feel for you too! I also can vouch for the fact that you don't have to give up. You just have to find out what works for you through trial and error. I agree with Dstew that the gym is a good place to start. I also get tight hips/hamstrings, and it's always when my abs and back are weak. Your pelvis gets pulled out of alignment, and that can cause tight hamstrings, ITB issues, calf issues, all sorts of stuff. Also, stretching and icing would be a benefit. If you're interested in yoga, I know many people who feel it has worked wonders for loosening up their bodies. Regular massage would help. And, if you have benefits, try seeing a chiropodist to see if you would benefit from orthotics. They worked wonders for me. I know you'll do your 10K, eventually, and I know you have a lot of running ahead of you!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone. In the 2 hours since I wrote my initial post, I cried and got over the fact that I would not be able to run a 10K in May. It doesn't mean that I can't never run 10K, it just means that I'm going to have to work hard to get there and in the mean time, working hard means treating the injury and strenghtening/stretching my core.

I know this will take time and will also make me a better runner.

I don't mind streching and doing weights at the gym, but I haven't figured out yet what type of cardio I'm going to do. I just love running and nothing ever came close to the huge benefits I get from it. Well, maybe I can work hard for a while and when I feel better, run a little bit at a time all the while improving my flexibility and strenght. I'll see...

How much is a session with a personal trainer? I think I could use that, if I can find one that takes the time to evaluate my needs and personalize my training program. Anyway, I'll save some money while I'm not running, I can use that spare money to invest in my long-term running.

Thanks for your support, I'm still a little bit sad not to do NCM, but I guess I'm still young and I can wait another year.

Any other advice is welcome and thanks everyone!

Alaskagirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Alaskagirl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Hi Kelodie, I feel for you!

I stretched my ACL badly about a year ago & it prevented me from running. Just like you, the results I get from running were greater than other cardio I do so I was really sad to have to stop running for a while.

When I finally was able to get in to see a physical therapist, I shyly told her I wanted to be able to run again - my husband and I have had doctors tell us not to run, so I thought everyone would say that. She looked at me like I had said something silly and told me, "Once you build up your muscles around that area, you'll be able to do any activity you want to."

Kelodie, building strength has worked for me, and I know it will for you too. You sound motivated to do this, and before you know it, you'll be running again.

Good luck finding cardio that gives you the results you're looking for. Maybe it won't be as good as running, but it'll still be good. Keep your chin up & keep us updated.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:22 pm

Kelodie...

First of all...wow...I admire your perseverance. Many people would just give up...this just tells me that you are an awesome athlete....maybe a slightly wounded one at this point...but an awesome athlete in the making for sure!!

Re Personal Trainers. The best Christmas gift I gave to myself this year was 10 one half hour sessions with a personal trainer. I have always had poor core strength. And I know that if I want to train for a FullM this year good core strength will be essential.

When I met with Brad (personal trainer) I was very specific with him re what I wanted to accomplish with him. I told him that I was a runner...that I had a running program so he didn't need to work on that but that I needed core strength stuff.

Not only does Brad have me doing core strength stuff but leg strengthening stuff. I didn't even ask him for that...but he decided that if I was a runner I'd better have strong legs!!

My 10 sessions cost $300.00 plus GST. I see Brad once a week...and do another workout in between. Once I have used up my sessions (I have 3 more) I will maintain this program for a while...and who knows...might hire him later in the year closer to my race time.

Hope this helps...keep on truckin Kelodie...we're here for you!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:32 pm

Kelodie

First off, being in pain SUCK!!! Second, having to put your goal aside always has some kind of sting at first. Understanding that your goal is going to be achieved but the plan to get there needs to be changed. Your goal is to run 10km... It doesn't have to be this year or at NCM. Keep your eye on the prize!!!

The second part of that, it how do you get to your prize? Well I think you are on the right track.... You need to do some physio, some core, some weight lifting and a bit of gym work. (that is ALL do-able if you take the right time and approach).

Third, if you need to take time off because you are in pain....... you NEED TO TAKE TIME OFF! It doesn't matter if your pain is caused by running - Heck that is a whole lot better than being in pain because you fell down while drunk or something!

Keep putting yourself out there.... Know you will get to where you are going and we are here to cheer you on, provide support, advice and encouragement.

All the best!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:12 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Re Personal Trainers. The best Christmas gift I gave to myself this year was 10 one half hour sessions with a personal trainer. I have always had poor core strength. And I know that if I want to train for a FullM this year good core strength will be essential.

When I met with Brad (personal trainer) I was very specific with him re what I wanted to accomplish with him. I told him that I was a runner...that I had a running program so he didn't need to work on that but that I needed core strength stuff.

Not only does Brad have me doing core strength stuff but leg strengthening stuff. I didn't even ask him for that...but he decided that if I was a runner I'd better have strong legs!!

My 10 sessions cost $300.00 plus GST. I see Brad once a week...and do another workout in between. Once I have used up my sessions (I have 3 more) I will maintain this program for a while...and who knows...might hire him later in the year closer to my race time.

Hope this helps...keep on truckin Kelodie...we're here for you!!

Thanks Jo-Jo... I thought personal trainers were much more expensive than that! I guess I can afford some sessions! :lol: But how do you find one? I mean do you hire someone that works for the gym you go to or is it totally non-related to a gym?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Kelodie...

I am fortunate...the gym that I go to has several good personal trainers...this is good because gyms generally do not want anyone other than their staff working with someone in their space.

Do you belong to a gym...if so I would start asking people who go there who they have used....and their experience...like so much in life...it's important that it is a good fit.

Good luck...keep us up to date on your progress!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:43 pm

Why not a 5km goal? I am almost certain that there's a bunch of them in the Ottawa area but I am hoping the Ottawa gang will chimne in on this.

Chin up!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:46 pm

Kelodie, congrats on being so d@mn persistent!!! You will get there.

Starting a running routine puts totally different stresses on your body and magnifies any bio-mechanical issues, mis-alignments or muscle imbalances that you may have. I agree that a core-building routine is a good route to go. Weights or even exercises that make use of your own body weight or Pilates will help.

In the meantime you could try walking, if that doesn't hurt. Maybe doing 1&10 is where you need to be right now, instead of 10&1. As you build up your core strength and adapt to the stresses of walking, you can then "graduate" to easy running. For some prople the tranistion just takes longer.

I would also book a couple of massage sessions. Of all the people in my "medical team" (and every marathoner has a personal medical team), I find they provide the most value. They will poke, prod & rub and find all those little kinks and problems that work together to cause you pain and keep you grounded. Go for a couple of 1 hour sessions to work on your lower body. It will be worth it.....

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi Kelodie

I don't have any advice to add but wanted to say hang in there. You're doing more than most to keep healthy and strong. Sometimes our plans go our way and sometimes they don't. I remember a few months ago when I was discouraged you were very helpful and supportive. We all have our down times, but then they turn around...eventually!

And, I think any excuse for a massage is a good one, so I would second that advice!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:13 pm

Massages sound good!

I have a massage therapist that is part of my own "medical team" but she doesn't do sports or deep tissue massages. I wonder if I should try someone else? At the same time, I would like my massage therapist not to cancel the benefits of the physio treatments, and am wondering it it's too early to try a "stronger" massage. The pain is still pretty intense...

Nick, when you say 1&10s, do you mean running 1 minute and then walking 1? If that is the case, I think this is a great idea!

Thanks for all your responses, I felt so discouraged a few hours ago and now I feel all motivated again! :lol:

Good night!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:06 pm

I go to a clinic that has both physio and massage and they both consult with each other as to what they are working on, etc.

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:45 am

Kelodie! Hmmm You have to look at things on the bright side from now on. This will be the first step to getting over this injury. You are young, healthy, willing to work at it.. you are active and love to have fun.

Second Go get good advice on what to train for and how in regards to your weaknesses : that being your tight hamstrings and the need to get stronger hips muscles. Don't do as I do and go at the gym trying whatever you see without knowing if it is right :roll: . Get a trainer for a few sessions and it will be totally worth all your pennies! You will be doing the right moves right away and therefore not waste any time or energy on moves that don't do the right things for you.

Third find a cross training that is fun. Try a spin class if available. They are totaly awesome. You get such a good workout you have no idea. Running used to be the only releave worth investing (time wise) but now those spinning classes are the best !! well After running of course! Or find aerobic classes, or take swimming lessons! :D Now that can be a good workout! It is easier when an instructor is telling you what to do.....

Hope you feel better soon!!

Helene
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:52 am

Kelodie,

Lots of good advice here and I don't really have anything to add (aside from another vote in favour of massages!). I just wanted to let you know that I am fully confident you will be able to pull through this if you take your time and listen to your body. It sucks in the meantime, but once you overcome this obstacle it will have been well worth it! Don't give up!

h
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:04 am

~thinkin' of you.~

M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

MandiRun's
Johnny Miles

Postby MandiRun's » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:15 am

Kelodie,

I dont have much to give in advice in that deptartment, but hang in there its better you take the time to fix yourself now then make it worse for the future.

I have to say that I am a HUGE fan of massages, you should give deep tissue massage a try and see how you feel

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Mandi
Calgary Marathon 10km (73min),Ambulance Chasers 6km (32min),Last Chance Half(2:32)
Calgary Policmen's Half (2:27)
Upcoming:
Not Sure :(

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:23 am

Kelodie wrote:Massages sound good!

I have a massage therapist that is part of my own "medical team" but she doesn't do sports or deep tissue massages. I wonder if I should try someone else? At the same time, I would like my massage therapist not to cancel the benefits of the physio treatments, and am wondering it it's too early to try a "stronger" massage. The pain is still pretty intense...

Nick, when you say 1&10s, do you mean running 1 minute and then walking 1? If that is the case, I think this is a great idea!

Thanks for all your responses, I felt so discouraged a few hours ago and now I feel all motivated again! :lol:

Good night!

By 1&10 I meant primarily walking with a bit of jogging thrown in to spice it up. Get your body used to the constant walking and as it grows stronger and adaps to the walking you can start to add in some running. Whatever mix works for you and lets you progress pain-free.

I think the massage and physio can complement each other but talk to your physiotherapist first. And yes, the deeper massage is going to help way more than the more superficial stuff.

Don't let yourself be discouraged. You WILL get there. We've all been through these phases. I haven'r run in 3 months but I know I have to heal up first before starting running again.

JFRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby JFRunner » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 pm

Being Kelodie's boyfriend, I just want everyone one to know that Kelodie is the most perseverant girl I know!!! It was so great to look at her when she discovered all the benefits and the joys of running... but also so sad to see her cry when she injured herself and couldn't continue her running program... She's working very hard on herself to find the problem and have it solved so that she can start running again...

Anyway, all I want to say is that I love you Kelodie and you can count on me to support you and help you in anyway I can. I'm sure that in a few years, we will run and finish a half-marathon togheter!!! :D

Return to “Training ”