Alistair Brownlee qualify for Commonwealth Games?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

jamix
Bill Crothers

Alistair Brownlee qualify for Commonwealth Games?

Postby jamix » Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am

Awhile ago, Olympic Gold Triathlete Alistair Brownlee mentioned his desire to qualify and participate in the Commonwealth Games.

At the Payton Jordan track meet last month he ran a 28:32 10km (he came 2nd in his heat and 18th overall) and afterwards said the following;

"I would say that I am pleasantly surprised with the time. The conditions were almost perfect too which helps, so overall I'm really happy.
"I would like to think that I can go maybe 20 or 30 seconds faster, but it's really hard to put a number on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22342557

I should note that I didn't actually watch the race, so perhaps he didn't run this race like a TT. It's very possible he just
ran with the pack, which can have a pretty slow pace for most of the race sometimes :?

......................................................................................................

FYI;

- Brownlee usually runs 29-30 minutes off the bike in ITU races (I think his best is 29:07)

- Before the Payton Jordan meet above, he won the San Diego triathlon about a week earlier (29:30 10km but he jogged the last 50 meters or so).

- he trains 30-35 hours a week.

I tend to swim for six to seven hours a week. I’ll cycle somewhere between 15 and 20 hours a week, and run seven

to 10 hours a week, plus do a couple of hours in the gym.”

http://www.shortlist.com/instant-improv ... ing-regime

The 15-20 hours / wk of cycling really shocked me considering he's an ITU athlete.

In my opinion, he could possibly be seen as a runner that does a ton of cross-training. However if his "cross-training" is too much from a purely running interest perspective, then this begs the question of how much faster he could go if he reduced his other training??? Some people become slower runners when they take up cycling or other sports seriously (not my personal experience, but it happens) and they lose a heck of a lot more than just the 20-30 seconds that Alistair wants to gain over 10,000 metres.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Return to “Training ”