Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby IronColl » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 am

To get an exact tempo pace average you'd have to spend 10-15 minutes doing the math for each hard/less hard set. If you don't match up exactly I won't tell (or assign burpees).
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33 am

runJrun wrote:I was struggling to decide what to do today during my TM run. Now I know :) I think I will warm up at 6.2 for 5 mins, do each hard at 7.0 and easy at 6.4 and see how that goes. Will adjust if necessary. Will report back!

This was a good one! It was hard though. Here is how it went for me:

Warm-up: 7 minutes at 6.2

1 min hard (7.4), 1 min less hard (6.4) - hey not too bad, felt great and strong
2 min hard (7.4), 1 min less hard (6.4) - still feeling great, this is fun
3 min hard (7.4), 1 min less hard (6.4) - okay that one started to hurt in the last minute - lots of sweat
4 min hard (7.2), 1 min less hard (6.4) - not feeling as cocky now, definitely starting to feel the burn, sweating profusely now
5 min hard (7.2), 1 min less hard (6.4) - OMG since when did 5 minutes feel like 20? Legs burning and puddle forming at my feet.
4 min hard (7.2), 1 min less hard (6.4) - home stretch, coming down the ladder, the ladder hurts!
3 min hard (7.4), 1 min less hard (6.4) - legs are on fire but feeling stronger again, this is awesome. I am tired, only 2 to go!
2 min hard (7.4), 1 min less hard (6.4) - 2 minutes is a great amount of time, feeling great, this is a great workout. I am soaking wet with sweat.
1 min hard (7.4), 1 min less hard (6.4) - 1 minute went fast, giddy smile on bright red face. My friend who was on the elliptical watching me comes and gives me a high five

cool down of choice - 7 minute cooldown at 6.0, legs fatigued but I feel great :) Going to try this one again!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:But to get the average pace and overall distance right it is a big tricky to pick the right high/low paces, as I found.

I did this workout yesterday but I'll reveal my paces later - because I sort of did it wrong again. :oops:

OK, I guess I didn't really do it wrong. :) I thought Colleen's intention was to keep one pace for the fast paces, and another pace for the less fast paces, essentially alternating between only two paces, but I realize now that's not true. Keeping to just one fast and one less fast pace seems more simple, but I thought it would also seem to make the short segments too easy and/or the long segments too hard. I also thought she said no more than 30s/km difference, so I tried to keep to that, but couldn't for some of them- but 30s/mile is larger (about to 18s/km).

My plan was to aim to try to average a tempo pace of about 5:15-5:20/km, or finish the 34 minutes at close to 4 miles on the treadmill. So (with the help of my coach) what I planned was 7.4-7.0 mph for the 1 to 5 minute fast portions (equates to 5:02-5:20/km), and 6.8 to 6.4 (5:30-5:50/km) for the less fast portions. On the less fast portions I ended up having to back off on the pace a bit at the beginning of the minute, running more by feel before going to the next fast portion. But the average pace of those minutes probably didn't exceed the 48s/km range.

In the end I did just under the 4 miles by the end of the 34 minutes, so averaged about 5:18/km for 34 minutes, as was the plan. Success. :)

Here's how it broke down:
15 min easy warmup, 5.7 mph (1.43 miles)
1 min 7.4 mph, 1 min 6.8 mph
2 min 7.3 mph, 1 min 6.7 mph
3 min 7.2 mph, 1 min 6.6 mph
4 min 7.1 mph, (this is where those one-minute in-between segments started to feel to hard, changed to under 6.0, ramping up to 6.8 mph)
5 min 7.0 mph, 1 min as above
4 min 7.1 mph, 1 min as above
3 min 7.2 mph, 1 min as above
2 min 7.4 mph, 1 min as above
1 min 7.5 mph, 1 min 20s as above (added an extra 20s at this pace so I could hit the 4 mile mark I was aiming for)
Finishing total workout portion of 4 miles in 34:20 = 5:18/km
1 min easy run, finished 50 min total running at 5.5 miles (8.8k)
walking cooldown

It was a good workout. By the end of it I was sort of wishing I had kept a closer range of paces, or maybe a straight tempo, to do more of a sustained effort rather than having to back off on the speeds so much on the one-minutes. But my coach actually said that this varying pace thing probably had a better training effect. I am going to try a straight tempo outside later in the week and see how I fare with speed.
Last edited by Jwolf on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 pm

IronColl wrote:To get an exact tempo pace average you'd have to spend 10-15 minutes doing the math for each hard/less hard set. If you don't match up exactly I won't tell (or assign burpees).

:P

I can assure you I wasn't trying to calculate the exact average for each set. I actually had no idea where I would end up, but at the half-way point I was just under 2 miles so I knew it was about right. If it wasn't I was going to have to speed up in the second half. :shock:
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:26 pm

I made it as least complicated as possible.
My paces going up were 4:47/k for the hard and 5:02/k for the easy, so 7.8mph and 7.4mph
Coming down the ladder was 4:40/k for the hard and 4:54/k for the easy, 8.mph and 7.6mph

I ended up doing 15 minute warm up and 11 minute cool down for 60 minutes and 7.22 miles (11.6k)

It was hard, but in a good way.

Thanks Colleen. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Ran with Habs this morning.

15 min warm up, 34 minutes pace range was 5:21-5:00/km then cool down to 56 min. Total distance 10.4 km with 6.7 km for the tempo portion.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:33 am

Done!

As follows.

10 min warmup @ 6:0 mph
1 min @ 7.8mph (4:47 m/k)
1 min @ 7.2mph (5:11 m/k)
2 min @ 7.6 mph (4:54 m/k)
1 min @7.0mph (5:20 m/k)
3 min @ 7.4 mph (5:02 m/k)
1 min @ 7.0 mph (5.20 m/k)
4 min @ 7.4 mph (5:02 m/k)
1 min @ 7.0 mph (5.20 m/k)
5 min @ 7.4 mph (5:02 m/k)
1 min @ 7.0 mph (5:20 m/k)
4 min @ 7.5 mph (4:58m/k)
3 min @ 7.5 mph (4:58 m/k)
2 min @ 7.8 mph (4:47 m/k)
1 min @ 7.2 mph (5:11 m/k)
1 min @ 8.0mph (4:40 m/k)
1 min @ 7.2 mph (5:11 m/k)
10 minute cool down to 10K in 54 min.

Really liked it! I think I did close to 7K in the 34 minutes - not quite though (4:15 miles or something like that)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:08 pm

purdy65 wrote:Really liked it! I think I did close to 7K in the 34 minutes - not quite though (4:15 miles or something like that)

Lisa's on EPO!! :)

Just kidding-- good workout. :)

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Workout done but I changed it up a bit! I decided to do a straight tempo for a few reasons: my brain was tired and pushing the buttons often would require focus, I was in a "keep-things-simple" mood, and I wanted to watch an episode of Friday Night Lights. I couldn't focus on the clock and the show simultaneously!

So...I did a mile wu @ 8:34 min/mile, 5 miles of progressive tempo (7:09 to 6:40 min/mile), a mile cd @ 7:39 min/mile for 7 miles in 51:13.

In the end, I kept to the pace range of 30 seconds/mile & the tempo portion was around 34 minutes (about 5 miles). I was tired from a busy week (life wise) but the run felt decent, if not totally strong.

Great, strong running, everyone! I have a fun workout I think people might like...
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Great run, Allie and everyone else! I did a 5 mile progression tempo as well (yesterday). Please share the workout you have in mind. :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:27 pm

Yes Allie- please do share! Colleen, Sue, and I could use a break. :)

If you want to suggest it for next week, post it on Sunday so people can decide how to fit it into their week.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:32 pm

I wasn't able to do the workout this week. :?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Here's one from my tempo rotation. I don't do it often but love it when I do! It's called tempo with a twist.

1 or 2 mile warm up
3 x 1 mile @ HMP to 10k pace w/ 1 min @ 10k to 5k pace between each interval
1 or 2 mile cool down

The workout was assigned to me w/ the intervals @ 10k pace and the 1 minute @ 5k pace. I suggested a range, depending on your fitness. It's more steady tempo running than we've been doing but I think we're ready! As for the pace, it's up to you to decide what works for you. When I'm at my fittest, I work in the 10k to 5k range. When I'm building fitness, I work more in the tempo range to 10k. It's also fine to be progressive with the pace, as you build each mile. The key is to do the 1 minute FASTER than the interval. The effect, of course, is to make the interval feel (maybe) a wee bit easier.

It's a tough one but fun. Time will fly by - I promise :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:47 am

sounds tough - looking forward to it!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:sounds tough - looking forward to it!

+1!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Done! I really liked this one in the end! I did my miles at 4:49/km which is my current 10 km pace (well, from November) and my in-between minutes at 5:15, which might have been a touch slow. The first mile felt tough, but by the end, the 4:49 felt totally sustainable. Interesting how the perception shifts!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Nice workout, Jesse. But I thought the 1-minute "breaks" (surges?) were supposed to be faster than the miles, no?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Jwolf wrote:Nice workout, Jesse. But I thought the 1-minute "breaks" (surges?) were supposed to be faster than the miles, no?

ha! once again, Jesse does the work out wrong.

so instead of 3 x 1 mile at HMP pace with 1 minute at 10 km pace, I did 3 x 1 mile at 10 km pace with 1 minute at 1 HMP pace. Sigh. One of these days!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:33 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Nice workout, Jesse. But I thought the 1-minute "breaks" (surges?) were supposed to be faster than the miles, no?

so instead of 3 x 1 mile at HMP pace with 1 minute at 10 km pace, I did 3 x 1 mile at 10 km pace with 1 minute at 1 HMP pace. Sigh. One of these days!

Your way looks better. :)

jk. Allie- the workout has my coach's stamp of approval (or more than that-- his ringing endorsement!) but thinking about it still freaks me out. :) My plan is Friday.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

:lol: too funny! Oh well, remember we said in the beginning there really was no wrong way to do these as long as you do them......
Good job on getting it done.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:07 am

Done!

This workout was great! I'm finding that doing this variety of workouts has been amazing for my fitness. I'm really feeling some improvement!

My biggest problem was trying to determine what my half marathon pace actually is! I decided to start out on the conservative side and build up if I felt like it.

1 mile warmup @ 6mph
1 mile @7.4mph
1 minute @ 7.8 mph
1 mile @ 7.4mph
1 minute @ 8.0 mph
At this point I was still feeling pretty good, so I upped the last mile to 7.5-7.6mph and finished off with another minute @ 8.0 mph.

Then I ran out about a mile @ 6.5 mph (which after the tempo felt slow!) and then cool down to 10K @ 6mph.

I also did some stretching and strength, and climbed the 21 floors to my condo.

All in all I felt fantastic after, but definitely going to need some rest tomorrow.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:36 am

That's awesome- well done Lisa :)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am

holy guacamole Lisa! :shock:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:08 am

I have to admit that this workout both confuses (mixing distance and time! :shock:) and scares me (30 mins @ tempo or faster pace). :?

Let's see...

1-mile @HM pace = 6.8mph/5:29/km (8:49/mile)
1-min @10K pace = 7.2mph/5:11/km
x3

I'll see how I feel after the first set, then decide if I need to adjust the paces up/down. As opposed to intervals where there is rest in between the each set, this is the reverse because it's 1 minute of harder running in between, so it will be close to a 30-min tempo for me. I don't know if I can hold 6.8mph for 30 minutes! My plan is to do this at the gym tomorrow morning before work.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 am

You can just as easily view the miles as the "rest" portion.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Return to “Training ”