Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 am

I did last week's workout this morning, and it was great! My miles were at 7.8 mph, and my minutes were at 8.7. I was aiming for 4:45 per km and 4:16 per km pace, but because of the way the treadmill does the increments in speed, it was probably closer to 4:50 and 4:20. It felt tough, but in a good way. I definitely didn't feel like I was going to die at the end, it was more like a good hard tempo run. With warm-up and cooldown, it was 5 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:39 am

Done! I started at easy paced 6 min/km and finished at 4:45 min/km. I increased by .2km/hr and alternated between 1% and 2%, for 26 minutes. I had 25 minutes total in my head, but forgot Lisa had a 1 minute section in her workout, so I aimed higher rather than shorter. I felt like the time went by quickly - there was a lot of staring at the console, which I usually don't like, but two minutes was such a nice short time period, that I didn't mind. Thanks for this one!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:46 am

I did this one yesterday at lunch and it was great! I warmed up for 10 minutes at 6.4 and then did the workout exactly as recommended with a 15 minute cool down. Thanks for a good one!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 am

I don't know if I'll be able to do the workout this week, but I just want to say that doing these for the past few weeks has even helped my cycling! It's likely a combo of physical and mental training, but while I was on my bike last night doing 3x6min in Zone 4, I kept thinking, "OK, 6 minutes, I can do this, I've done it on the TM, so I can do it on the trainer."

:D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Just got back from doing this one and I really enjoyed it. Starting out I didn't think there was any way I could keep increasing for every interval but it ended up finishing just about right. I was working hard but not overwhelmed. The treadmills at my work gym are in km/h so I increased by .3 for most intervals but .2 for a couple, and .4 for the last 2 minutes.

5 min w/u

Started at 10km/h (6min per km) finished at 13.4km/h (around 4:28min per km IIRC from the display), did all 2min intervals

6-7 min cooldowm at 10.5 km/h (just went until I hit 7km/38 min)

I really liked this one. One thing that I've discovered is that for speed work I need to do it at lunchtime instead of first thing in the morning whenever possible.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:34 pm

La wrote:I don't know if I'll be able to do the workout this week, but I just want to say that doing these for the past few weeks has even helped my cycling! It's likely a combo of physical and mental training, but while I was on my bike last night doing 3x6min in Zone 4, I kept thinking, "OK, 6 minutes, I can do this, I've done it on the TM, so I can do it on the trainer."

:D

:)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 pm

I will do this week's workout on Thurs or Fri. I like the sound of it!

"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:47 pm

QuickChick wrote:I will do this week's workout on Thurs or Fri. I like the sound of

Hey there, QC - nice seeing you here & great job on the run :). I'm hoping to try this one tomorrow, too.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:02 am

Workout done!

Sort of:

10 minute warmup @ 6.0 mph

6.7 mph
6.9 mph
7.0 mph
7.2 mph
7.4mph
7.5 mph
7.6 mph
7.8mph
7.9 mph
8.1 mph

Toggling incline from 2% @1% until 7.8mph - then no incline.

10 minutes @ 7.5mph

Cool down from 6.5 - 6.2 mph until 10K. Walking for a couple of minutes

Once I got up to 8.1 mph, I kinda gave up but decided to go a bit longer and steady at my HMP (7.5mph on the TM)

It all felt pretty good.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 pm

I didn't do this one because I wanted to do a straight tempo instead (although it looks like a cool workout-- some other time! thanks for that Lisa). But I thought I'd post here anyway because I did a longer version of Allie's workout from last week. I liked how the faster minutes made the regular tempo miles feel "easier" last week, so I incorporated that into a longer tempo. My plan was 40 minutes, so I did (9 min at 7.0mph, 1 min at 7.5mph) x 2, then (9 min at 7.1mph, 1 min at 7.6-7.7mph) x 2. The total ended up being 4.73 miles in 40 min, or 7.6K at 5:15/km. This is faster that I can manage outside so I do find the treadmill paces a bit easier to do as workouts, but it feels good to get going that hard.
So thanks for the idea again, Allie-- I'm going to draw on this one more often.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:30 pm

I did a modified version, too - 7 miles w/ 5 miles of progressive tempo but I played w/ the elevation (from 1% to 2%), as the workout prescribed. I liked it; it was definitely tougher than usual 0%! Thanks for the push to try something different, Lisa.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:40 pm

If anyone wants to post a workout, let me know. If I don't hear from anyone by Monday afternoon, I'll post something.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Sorry, Habs, I've tweaked my hamstring and won't be able to plan or do any speed work for the next few weeks. :(
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:21 pm

Rats! I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 pm

No takers on posting a workout? Ok, I guess it's me!

Warm up of choice.

5 x 1k repeats 5k pace. 3 minutes walking recovery or as close to a distance that will allow you to not get mixed up as to where you are.
Yes, I realize we are mixing distance and time, but just think how much the math will take your mind off of working hard.
I chose walking as the rest/recovery because you should be almost fully recovered by the time you start the next repeat.

Cool down of choice.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Did mine this morning! I changed things up a bit, though this time on purpose - I dislike walking recovery on the treadmill, so I jogged for 400m between each repeat. The first couple always seem tough, then once you get going it's not too bad!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:47 pm

I just finished mine. Great workout!

1.5km w/u
5 x 1km @ 4:30/km
250m jogging rest intervals @ 6min/km
500m c/d

8km/40 min total.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Just got back from doing mine. Dare I say it, but I really liked this one.
5 x 1km repeats with 2 minute waking between. I felt ready to go after 2 minutes, so went with that.

I was running km repeats on a treadmill that is in miles, then I walked (in time), then had to figure out where my next 1km repeat should end, in miles. :lol: It made the time fly by with all that mental math!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 pm

I saw that Lauren Fleshman is going to be sharing weekly workouts on the Strava blog. (mega fan-girl here!). Maybe some inspiration for future Thursday workouts? This week's looks good!

http://blog.strava.com/wow-theswitchblade-9225/
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 pm

That's cool, Jesse- I like that workout. :)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Almost like she was inspired by the last one I posted...
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby Jwolf » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Workout for week of Feb 2:

Variation of Lauren Fleshman's Switchblade workout above ( http://blog.strava.com/wow-theswitchblade-9225/ )

We'll make this a shorter variety:
5-10 min warmup
2 x 2 mile with 2 min recovery jog between.
5-10 min cooldown
Total time will be 50-60 min.

For the 2 x 2 mile sections, pick a pace you'd like to be able to do a 4-mile tempo sometime in the near future. Or a bit faster than your projected half-marathon pace.
The first mile of each set should be 10-15 sec/mile (or 5-10 sec/km) SLOWER than that pace, and the second mile of each set should be 10-15 sec/mile (or 5-10 sec/km) FASTER than that pace.

Note: In a treadmill set in miles, this corresponds to about +/- 0.1-0.3 mph around your projected speed. So if your projected speed is 7.4 mph, you could do the first mile at 7.2 and the second mile at 7.6 mph.

As Lauren says: "The first mile should feel pretty easy; try to maintain that same mental ease for as long as you can during mile two."

[Variation if needed: You can adjust the length of the sets if you need to do a longer or shorter workout, but each should be at least 15 minutes (so you'd break them into 7-8 min portions of slower/faster instead of 1 mile each). Lauren actually has hers a 3 x 2 mile workout, which you could do if it is appropriate for your training.]

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Sounds good! That can be my tempo workout for the week!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am

purdy65 wrote:Sounds good! That can be my tempo workout for the week!

And it was! I did it today because I see a window of opportunity to get outdoors for some hill work on Thursday!

I MOSTLY followed the plan.

The first 2 miles were 7.5mph and 7.6mph
Recovery
Second 2 miles were 7.6 and 7.7 mph
Recovery.

For good measure, I threw in another mile @ 7.5mph then, after a 2 minute recovery finished off the workout @ 6.5mph and walking cool down.

Total 8 miles/13K

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:08 am

Nice Lisa. :) good idea to add the extra mile if you want a bit longer.

Return to “Training ”