Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 pm

RobW wrote:
HCcD wrote:This is what the virtual RunCoach from the Ottawa Marathon training program has for me this week ... I suspect with the w/u and c/d, should be approx. 16-17K total ... :shifty: :P

1.Warm up: Jog 3.2K very easy; 7 Drills + 3 Strides (100 meters or 25 seconds)
2.Workout: 20 sets: •Run 400m
•Jog 100m
3.Cool down: Jog 2.4K very easy; Good Stretch

Interesting. At what pace are you supposed to run the 400s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I tend to do my 400's at between 5K - 10K pace ... So, approx. 1:20 - 1:35 range ... though, for marathon specific training, I think they are recommending about 45 seconds per km faster than m-p or, just go to the McMillan Running - Calculator link .. https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

I am probably doing something wrong, but I tend to do my speedwork at my 5K goal pace effort vs marathon goal pace effort ... so, likely not developing the proper training effect for the longer endurance vs shorter distance physio gains / benefits development ????
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:51 pm

HCcD wrote:
RobW wrote:
HCcD wrote:This is what the virtual RunCoach from the Ottawa Marathon training program has for me this week ... I suspect with the w/u and c/d, should be approx. 16-17K total ... :shifty: :P

•Jog 100m

Personally, I tend to do my 400's at between 5K - 10K pace ... So, approx. 1:20 - 1:35 range ... though, for marathon specific training, I think they are recommending about 45 seconds per km faster than m-p or, just go to the McMillan Running - Calculator link .. https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

I am probably doing something wrong, but I tend to do my speedwork at my 5K goal pace effort vs marathon goal pace effort ... so, likely not developing the proper training effect for the longer endurance vs shorter distance physio gains / benefits development ????

Your 5 and 10K pace is very fast. If I did 45 secs/km faster than MP, I would be at or near 5K pace (your 10K pace). I find doing 6 of them is really hard.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:55 pm

I found another good one from Triathlete Magazine which I can post next week if I'm still allowed. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Yeah, Rob, that pace makes sense. It sounds scary, but it makes sense. My one minute recoveries last week were definitely a very slow jog, like 6:00 or a bit faster/km. I needed it, lol, and I'm bad about walking my recoveries normally instead of running, so for me it was an achievement that I ran! My interpretation of float is definitely faster than a slow jog, so this week will be really challenging. I may need to do the 400s a bit slower, but I'll try them at the pace I used last week (6:53/mile).

"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:18 pm

QuickChick wrote:Yeah, Rob, that pace makes sense. It sounds scary, but it makes sense. My one minute recoveries last week were definitely a very slow jog, like 6:00 or a bit faster/km. I needed it, lol, and I'm bad about walking my recoveries normally instead of running, so for me it was an achievement that I ran! My interpretation of float is definitely faster than a slow jog, so this week will be really challenging. I may need to do the 400s a bit slower, but I'll try them at the pace I used last week (6:53/mile).

Think of it this way and it might sound "easier" ;). The total distance of the workout will be 4600m, so less than 5K total. So the average pace will be slower than 5K pace. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:57 pm

HCcD wrote:
RobW wrote:

•Jog 100m

Wow, 20 sets is a pretty crazy workout! FWIW, the virtual RunCoach spit out this workout for my half training (pace based on my 1:39 PB from a couple of years ago so basically 5k pace):

Warm up: Jog 2.4K very easy; 7 Drills + 3 Strides (25 seconds each)
Workout:
Fartlek:4 sets:
Run 5:00 @ 4:15/Km
Jog for 3:00
Cool down: Jog 2.4K very easy; Good Stretch

This week, I think I'll do QC workout from above instead though.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Ok, my bossy hat is going on.

A couple of times I had asked that if someone wants to post a workout to PM, Jenn, Colleen or myself. Since they are not really in this thread too much anymore, I think that It would be best if I post the workouts that people come up with, simply to keep things easy to find and consistent. The reason being for this is that people are posting workouts and links and ideas and I think the actual workout is getting lost in the discussion. I love that everyone is jumping in to take part, but we all know that too many cooks spoil the broth. So on that note, if you want to have a workout to be part of the Virtual Workouts, PM me with it, and I will look after posting it. If I get a whole lot of workouts, then it might take a few weeks for your workout to be posted, but I will do my best to keep them on hand and get them all in somehow.
How does that sound to everyone? Any objections?

Boss hat off.
Last edited by Habs4ever on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:46 pm

The virtual Workout for Thrusday March 5 is as follows:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/02/t ... ters_12386

8x400m. The 400s are run at just faster than 5k pace, with a 200m float for recovery. This sounds tough but like a really good workout.

Remember that some workouts are designed for elite runners, but we can use the basic structure to help us in our own running. Adjust the distance and intensity as needed to fit your schedule and your fitness.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:07 pm

I wouldn't say I object, exactly, I'll do whatever everyone else wants, but at times I can't do that week's workout due to time constraints and I've appreciated hearing other ideas. I can certainly just figure out an alternate on my own, but just as another perspective I really enjoy reading the discussion portion. Again, though, I'll go with the majority, and this is all I'll say on it. :)

"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:17 pm

QuickChick wrote:I wouldn't say I object, exactly, I'll do whatever everyone else wants, but at times I can't do that week's workout due to time constraints and I've appreciated hearing other ideas. I can certainly just figure out an alternate on my own, but just as another perspective I really enjoy reading the discussion portion. Again, though, I'll go with the majority, and this is all I'll say on it. :)

Maybe time for a new thread titled "Ideas and discussion for random speed workouts"? :wink:

I think the point of this thread was that everyone was doing the same workout at the same time.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:04 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
QuickChick wrote:I wouldn't say I object, exactly, I'll do whatever everyone else wants, but at times I can't do that week's workout due to time constraints and I've appreciated hearing other ideas. I can certainly just figure out an alternate on my own, but just as another perspective I really enjoy reading the discussion portion. Again, though, I'll go with the majority, and this is all I'll say on it. :)

Maybe time for a new thread titled "Ideas and discussion for random speed workouts"? :wink:

I think the point of this thread was that everyone was doing the same workout at the same time.

I agree on both points.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:38 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I agree.

I like the idea of posting a weekly workout and people coming back to report how they did.

When we start comparing to things like 16K-17K workouts in the Ottawa Marathon program we've kind of lost the focus of the thread. Most marathon programs have some sort of weekly speed workouts-- that's not really the point of this thread.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:49 pm

La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I agree on both points.

I like the discussion too, Lisa. The posting of the workout was getting lost in the discussion, that's why I thought it would be a good idea to have one person do the posting. It doesn't have to be me, but since I'm the only one left of the three who started this thread, then I thought I would take that on. (But I see Jenn said she's OK with posting again).
Yes, Scrummy, is correct, The point of this thread was that everyone was doing the same workout (basically), the same day or at least in the same week.
If this thread has outlasted it's usefulness then I'm more than willing to let it drop (one less thing for me to worry about), but when I mentioned it before people still showed interest in keeping it going.

Edit: I was drafting as Jenn was posting. She said it better. Lol

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 am

Ok, it went well this morning. I am not sure what my "current" 5k pace is right now. I know I'm faster than the 22:26 I ran in September, but I'm not sure past that. I am thinking now I might have been a bit too conservative in my pacing, but it definitely felt like a hard workout and that's the important thing. I'm not sure upping the pace one level on the TM would've made that much of a difference. However, I may try it again next week and try to do it a bit faster. I did the first 6 at 6:58, or 21:50 5k pace, and the last 2 at 6:53 per mile, or about 21:30 pace. I did the floats at 7.4 to 7.5 mph, around 8:00/mile or 5:00/km pace, and wow did it ever feel comfortable after the 400's! I will do a time trial over March break and hopefully if the roads are good, etc, I will get a better sense of where I'm at. Since it's supposed to be a bit faster than your current 5k pace I'm thinking the 6:53 might be more accurate.
Oh, the other thing- it's a 3 mile workout altogether, right? I started after a 1.5 mile warmup and ended at 4.41... I was baffled about the missing .1 until partway through my shower when I realized that I had cut my recoveries ever so slightly! 200m is .125 of a mile, and I had been counting .12. Oh well, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Well done, Lisa!!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Good job, Lisa. I just wrote it out to take to the gym. I'm hoping to try it this afternoon.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Good job, Lisa. I just wrote it out to take to the gym. I'm hoping to try it this afternoon.

I'm going to forgo the workout this week. It was just too nice to waste a day inside on the treadmill. I'll do it another time though.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:12 am

Workout for March 12, 2015. (courtesy of Jwolf)

5K/10K Intervals
Warm-up: 10–15 minutes easy

Round 1
6 minutes at 10K pace, 3 minutes recovery
4 minutes at 5K pace, 2 minutes recovery

Round 2
5 minutes at 10K pace, 2:30 recovery
3 minutes at 5K pace, 1:30 recovery

Round 3
4 minutes at 10K pace, 2 minutes recovery
2 minutes at 5K pace, 1 minute recovery

Cool-down: 10–15 minutes easy

Total: About 1 hour

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:16 am

This was a good one-- I got it from Triathlon magazine, and I actually did it last week. Sort of-- I switched around the order of the intervals so that the longer ones were last. eta: what I mean was that I did it as Round 3-2-1 instead of Round 1-2-3. That probably made it a bit harder, but it would be pretty tough as is. For 10K/5K paces I chose 7.5 mph and 7.7 mph on the treadmill recoveries were short walk then jog-- the short recoveries were tough, but I did it.

I may do it again if I feel like doing speed work this week.
Last edited by Jwolf on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Ohhh! I'm gonna do this one!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:50 am

Ha! I knew should have written this down!

I did this exactly as specified, except:

I did 6min @ 10K and 5 min @ 5K, then 5min @10k and 4 min @5K, then 4 min @ 10K and 3 min @5K!

No wonder it felt so hard! :lol: :lol:

Paces were 7.6mph (10k) and 7.8 (5K). Jogging recoveries.

Oh and no face plant into the TM! :dance: :dance:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Workout done!
It was good.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:06 am

Virtual Workout for March 19, 2015
Warm up and cool down of choice

2x400m (2 minute recovery)
1x800m (2 minute recovery)
1x1600m (3 minute recovery)
2x400m (2minute recovery)

The recovery can be easy running or walking--your choice.
The 1600 being at tempo pace, the 800 a bit faster pace and the 400 at 5k pace.

Adjust the workout to fit your fitness.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:56 am

Habs4ever wrote:Virtual Workout for March 19, 2015
Warm up and cool down of choice

2x400m (2 minute recovery)
1x1600m (3 minute recovery)
2x400m (2minute recovery)

The recovery can be easy running or walking--your choice.
The 1600 being at tempo pace, the 800 a bit faster pace and the 400 at 5k pace.

Adjust the workout to fit your fitness.

Finally back at it this week after 2 weeks of bad scheduling/outside running/laziness. Tough workout but I got it all done except the 1600, which I cut a bit short:

1km w/u @ 6:00
2 x400 @ 4:30
1 x 800 @ 4:40
1 x 1200 @ 4:50
1 x 800 @ 4:45
2 x 400 @ 4:30, 4:25

2 min jog @ 6:00 between each

7.2 km in 38min total

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:43 am

Virtual workout done!

My numbers look almost exactly like Mikes! Just differences in the warm up/cool down.

400's were done at 8-8.1mph, 800s at 7.8mph and 1mile done @ 7.5mph.

Warmup was one mile and cool down was 1 mile @ 6m/k (6.2mph) 10K total

It felt great!

I may be taking a brief hiatus from virtual Thursday until after Boston. A heavy training next week will be hills and tempo, and after that is taper. I'll see how the workout fits into my taper though!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “Training ”