Cross training

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

bluejay
Percy Williams

Cross training

Postby bluejay » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:19 am

Hello

I'm purely a recreational runner (5K a few times a week or so), but I'd like to perhaps do some cross training. I don't swim, and I have been considering biking (probably for the most part on a stationary bike as I am fair weather runner/rider :)) What are the other types of things do people do? Does one usually replace a run with the other activity or is it usually done on the non-run days? Would cross training help me get faster (aside from running longer or doing intervals?)

I only have limited time and opportunity so I'd appreciate suggestions I can do on my own.

Thank you!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Cross training

Postby purdy65 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Are you doing any strength work?

Strength, stair climbing, elliptical, rowing machine and spin bike are what I consider my cross training. Each can really compliment your running and make you stronger. :)

ETA: Welcome!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for replying.

No, I'm not doing anything else right now. I'm kind of looking for a "best bang for my buck" activity...and hopefully it won't involve going to the gym! I have 3 little kids so I have to find pockets of time to do things. Right now, I run early morning or at lunch time at work. I don't belong to a gym but I'm not sure I will go regularly. I have some light weights at home.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:06 pm

In terms of whether you should replace a run with another activity (as opposed to adding it into your running schedule), much depends on how much time you have. Figure out the number of hours a week you can dedicate to fitness. You may have to drop a run to fit in some cross training if you have a busy schedule.

The other questions I'd ask are: What's your goal? Why do you want to incorporate cross training?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:46 pm

I do have time in the evenings usually after 9, so I think I can still add another activity in addition to runs

I'm really tempted to try to do a 1/2 marathon next year (the longest race I've ever done is 10K, but a 1/2 is on my bucket list) so I'm wondering what I can do to work towards that (besides increasing distance of course). I also feel like I'm pretty slow (takes me just over 1/2 hr or so to do 5K) so if that helps, great!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:51 pm

I'd say your best bet is to add some add home strength training on your non-run days. No equipment even needed with lots of body weight options, and you can do it while the kids are sleeping or they can join in! I have this great app called "Sworkit" that gives body weight exercises and there are lots of videos on youtube as well.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Welcome to RM! I second what scrumhalfgirl says--you can do a lot of good strength training at home with little or no expensive equipment. Body weight exercises are great--and you probably already know a few (pushups, for example). A yoga mat is a good idea, and I have a few dumbbells, some resistance bands, and one of those giant inflatable balls that you can sit on. With these few things, I can really work up a sweat!

Good luck on your quest to run a half-marathon!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Great suggestions, I just downloaded the free version of sworkit, and it looks great! I like how it times you and gives you a video demo so it looks pretty easy to follow. Thank you!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:40 pm

bluejay wrote:Great suggestions, I just downloaded the free version of sworkit, and it looks great! I like how it times you and gives you a video demo so it looks pretty easy to follow. Thank you!

it's a pretty neat app! I've been using just the free version as well. in addition to the workouts that given you the random assortment of exercises, you can build your own or select from some pre-made ones like advanced core or no jumping quiet workout.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Haha, I thought I would start with 15 min Core, but could hardly make it through 5. So nowhere to go but up at least :p.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Crosstraining is supposed to prevent injury by engaging in cardio exercise using different muscles than normal. It probably works. I've never done it. I just run lots and stop/slow down when I feel an injury coming on.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Training ”