Gym sessions between runs?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

ripcord

Gym sessions between runs?

Postby ripcord » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi all!

I'm training for a 10k that's happening 5 weeks from now. It's going well - hoping to keep a steady 10.5kmh race speed and finish in around 57 mins.

I started training a couple of months ago with 5ks every other day. My current training schedule is:
Mondays: 7K at race speed
Wednesday: 5K at race speed
Friday: 10K at slower speed (around 9.5 kmh)
Sunday: 9K at race speed (following the actual race route). I'm struggling when I get near the end of this!

There are a few hills on the race route that I run a little bit slower over. I'm trying to go to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays to do leg work to help with the hills.

Has anyone any advice on what execises to do? I've googled it, and I've come up with:
Leg press,
Calf raises,
Squats,
Lunges with extra weight

But it's all a bit haphazard at the moment. Also some of the exercises work the same muscles - so I'm worried I might strain them.

Any help or links to sample gym leg plans would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Gym sessions between runs?

Postby IronColl » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:31 pm

squats, lunges, bridges and planks
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

narr
Tom Longboat

Postby narr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:55 am

Hi ripcord,

Welcome to the site!

I know that you asked for exercises to help with the hills, but I thought I should point out that running race speed training runs three of your four running days is not conventional. I haven't raced a 10K in over ten years and things may have changed, but I would expect that only about 10 percent of your training would be speed work (which you aren't doing at all) and one day, maybe two days would have tempo runs. Tempo runs would be 20 minutes or so at your 10K race speed, so maybe 4K after a warm-up. The training that would help your 10K race the most is to gradually increase the length of your slowest run until you are up to maybe 16K or so. A 10K race will feel a lot better when your body is used to running 16K.

As far as exercises to help with the hills, I would find the most difficult hill on the race course and incorporate it into your training runs. Maybe even do some moderate speed repeats on the hill so you have a good feel for it during the race.

On your off days, I would suggest something like yoga to help you stay relaxed and flexible for your running days. (I mean "gentle stretching yoga", not "make you sore the next day yoga".) I would leave the leg work in the gym for the winter, not during the build-up to a race.

I hope this helps,

narr
narr = not a real runner

Running is a privilege.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30153194

13 minutes X 3 times a week with seven basic exercises is all that is required to optimize your strength or so this study shows. I would be a little cautious about going to "exhaustion" so close to a race. The study found is you want to increase muscle mass, you do more reps and as a runner, you want as little muscle mass as possible so this does seem to be the ideal workout. I can share from experience that this works very well for me and applies to both running and cycling. The error I make is as a race or ride approaches, I tend to skip that and add a run or ride or go longer on the runs or rides and usually need up worse because of that.

One thing you might also want to consider is substituting the 9.5 K run at race pace with a longer slow run. There is not much time to switch but add a kilometer a week for a couple of weeks as it sounds as if your endurance/ stamina may be an issue and thus a slower and longer run addresses that.

Having said all of that, your training mirrors the training I did for my first 10 K in 2002 and I did quite well with that. The one piece of advice I got from my dad and has always worked regardless of the race or ride is always make sure you have enough in your tank at the end of the race. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of even a training run where you are aiming for a specific pace and go out too fast. There is strategy for at least for the first mile or so is hold back and go slower than your race pace. Pick it up to race pace for the middle and then see what your body can do near the end. For others, it is go out like hell and hang on. For even a shorter training run, do a time trial and see what one works better for you.

Return to “Training ”