Helloooooo?????

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Helloooooo?????

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:05 am

okay, where are you hiding?

Me???? I am going into hiding mode from now onward :twisted: grrrr.....heel xrayed today, May 27 going for cortisone shot (perhaps a few of them) and if no better......who knows, the doc said this should work but I was too scared to ask him -- if it doesn't, then what? :cry: Lord knows when I will hit the streets again.

(my posting of my heel problem is below somewhere)

I have been told that these are the Golden Years for Seniors well to me right now they are pretty rusty!!

Take care all have fun on the streets.
Karen
Last edited by KaTyBrown on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:57 pm

WELLLLLLLLL??????????? so where is everybody? Too busy running to walk a bit?- come on guys/gals - we are going to be dumped if no one uses this forum.
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I walked for 50 minutes today. I can't run . I can walk but my foot hurts after . But I still want to go out there so. At least I get it out of my system.
Oh and I did 50 kms bike in Gatineau park. The walk ... to see the sky and appreciate it. Feel the wind and breath it. I listen to music and i have a hard time coming back home. I feel like I am flaoting in this unreal world of old music from centuries before. Bach and Brahms, Debussi and Samuel Barber and all the others. They bring me in this outter dimension as I walk. And drink colors of above.

I sense some kind of Spiritual flower influence in this imaginary experience.

But i did go for a walk. :D
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:28 pm

But i did go for a walk. :D

Good for you! I am pleased someone, somewhere, out there is walking :wink:
I thought I was the only one .... sigh...so glad I am not alone :lol:

take care all!
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:34 am

Hullo again! I've been walking 2km morning and noon all summer long, a total improvement over last summer when I only walked mornings before work.

Did the CRIM 5k walk over the weekend and improved my time by 9 minutes over last year - and it was just as hot'n'humid as it always is in Flint for the event! But a great expo and lots of fantastic deals and the volunteers are all so friendly and always say 'THANK YOU FOR COMING OUT' - you can't beat that!

:)

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 am

I'm back at walking! The broken toe is 6 weeks into recovery and I've been walking "normally" (no limping and no compensation) for a few days now. My ribs have also been feeling better for 2-3 days and I'm slowly getting back to my old self. :D

The doctor said I could start running when I can walk normally. My plan is to start walking more and when I'm comfortable walking for an hour, then I'll try to run. No worries, though: once I'm back at running, I'll still be walking lots.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 am

See? I knew if I poked you all, I would find out that people are still walking :)

btw, have slowed one of the machines at Curves :( It is the one that you lift with your legs. It bothers my arthritic knee, have been icing it for a few days and tried it again y'day. No go, it hurts so will eliminate that machine for awhile. Funny though, that is basically the same machine that I had for physio. Lifting the legs front and up with weights. Oh well.....

I am still walking with my lady so at least 3x/week at Curves and walking will hopefully keep me somewhat in shape :wink:

Have a good one everyone!
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 am

KaTyBrown wrote:btw, have slowed one of the machines at Curves :( It is the one that you lift with your legs. It bothers my arthritic knee, have been icing it for a few days and tried it again y'day. No go, it hurts so will eliminate that machine for awhile. Funny though, that is basically the same machine that I had for physio. Lifting the legs front and up with weights. Oh well.....

I know which machine you're talking about. It sometimes gave me knee pain too. What worked was when I adjusted the seat so that my knee wasn't touching the edge of it but was about 1/2 inch away from it (does it make sense?)

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am

Kelodie wrote:
KaTyBrown wrote:btw, have slowed one of the machines at Curves :( It is the one that you lift with your legs. It bothers my arthritic knee, have been icing it for a few days and tried it again y'day. No go, it hurts so will eliminate that machine for awhile. Funny though, that is basically the same machine that I had for physio. Lifting the legs front and up with weights. Oh well.....

I know which machine you're talking about. It sometimes gave me knee pain too. What worked was when I adjusted the seat so that my knee wasn't touching the edge of it but was about 1/2 inch away from it (does it make sense?)

Will see if I can adjust it tomorrow, but don't think it can be adjusted. I could try using one of the cushions that come with it. Will try it out.
tks for the idea:)
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am

KaTyBrown wrote:
Kelodie wrote:

Will see if I can adjust it tomorrow, but don't think it can be adjusted. I could try using one of the cushions that come with it. Will try it out.
tks for the idea:)

It might or might not work, but it's worth a try!

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:31 am

Hellooooo!!!
Machine can't be adjusted so I have just increased intensity again!
WOW...today did my circuit in lickety-split time :)
now getting ready for my 2x weekly wheelchair walk.

Keep up the good work all....walk, walk, walk then you might just break into a jog then a run :lol:
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:09 am

just popping in to say 'hi' and zipping out again

oh... i've got a new love: CYCLING!!

and as with the walking, i'm not SPEEDY, but i sure do love it - did 22kms on sunday morning in rain - not mist - not a few drops - we're talking rain - downpour at times - who cares once you're wet - its just water!! :lol:

Celin

Walkers

Postby Celin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 am

Hello walkers. I am new to this forum, but not to walking. I love to walk. I like half marathons as it gives me a goal to keep myself motivated. What do all of you do?

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:48 am

Welcome to the forum!

Generally stick to 5k events myself - although bumping up to a 6k on Oct 1 at the police college in Aylmer for the Tornado Fun Run Walk Blade Bike event.

Celin

Walking

Postby Celin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Sounds like fun. I'm going to the Army Run in Ottawa next weekend and the Run for the Toad the following. Keeps me motivated. The only reason I do the half marathon's is I find that it's a long enough distance that I really have to train and keep myself fit. Good way to keep the cholesteral and weight down. :)

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Woohooo, I can cheer you walkers on cuz I'm on Volunteer Duty at The Toad! :D

Suez
Percy Williams

Postby Suez » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm back, I keep forgetting about this forum! Mischa gave me a nudge when she sent me a pix of a very cool bike someone posted.

I have been walking and doing some races this summer, totally sold on the 5 Peaks trail series, if any walkers have ever considered trying a trail race 5 peaks is the one. Two distances, Sport about 5 to 7 km and Enduro, 10 -12km. There are 5 Peaks series in BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. Signed up for all 5 (in Ontario) this year and will do the same next year, so much fun. Will be doing the Army 1/2 next week, then Run for the Toad at the beginning of October. I will have done 11 races this year, so looking forward to a break.

To be honest, I have not been training as much as I should be, kind of fell off the training wagon after the Flying Pig Full. Was back to mountain biking with Fly Gurlz, but had a very bad fall, that required rest and antibiotics because of a bone bruise.....ugly! But I am walking 4 days a week, biking and now taken up a new form of torture, weight work at the gym :roll:

I will have to get Mischa to put together an avitar for me, she is the computer person, I just know how to send email :wink:

Suez
Percy Williams

Postby Suez » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm back, I keep forgetting about this forum! Mischa gave me a nudge when she sent me a pix of a very cool bike someone posted.

I have been walking and doing some races this summer, totally sold on the 5 Peaks trail series, if any walkers have ever considered trying a trail race 5 peaks is the one. Two distances, Sport about 5 to 7 km and Enduro, 10 -12km. There are 5 Peaks series in BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. Signed up for all 5 (in Ontario) this year and will do the same next year, so much fun. Will be doing the Army 1/2 next week, then Run for the Toad at the beginning of October. I will have done 11 races this year, so looking forward to a break.

To be honest, I have not been training as much as I should be, kind of fell off the training wagon after the Flying Pig Full. Was back to mountain biking with Fly Gurlz, but had a very bad fall, that required rest and antibiotics because of a bone bruise.....ugly! But I am walking 4 days a week, biking and now taken up a new form of torture, weight work at the gym :roll:

I will have to get Mischa to put together an avitar for me, she is the computer person, I just know how to send email :wink:

Suez
Percy Williams

Postby Suez » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:01 pm

Oops :oops: Don't know how that happened!

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 pm

... you're just trying to up your post count, right?

:lol:

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:57 am

.. just back in from nice 2k lunchtime walk(up/downhill) - wearing my nice new pink danskin top ... yippee, i feel more girly girl now that I'm slowly starting to revamp the dark (black, navy) wardrobe for walking/biking and getting a few nicer things to wear ... slow but sure!

:D

Suez
Percy Williams

Postby Suez » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:24 am

I love pink, the pinkier the better :lol:

Heading off to Ottawa for the Army 1/2. Any other walkers going?

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:09 am

... long overdue for a walkers bump here ... still walking ... still cycling... alas, its rainy outside right now so might not get out for that lunchtime 2k

Suez
Percy Williams

Postby Suez » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Yes, been walking, so too busy to type :lol:

This past weekend walked Run for the Toad in 3:47.......I realize that every year I am getting a little slower on this course, from 3:32 in 2004, sad, but at least I am still out there.

Two weeks ago did the Army 1/2 in Ottawa, a race every walker and runner should put on their list of "races to do", what an amazing exerience, every one I have talked to about the race felt the same thing.

After a summer of racing (ATB, Flying Pig Marathon, 5 Peaks series, Army 1/2 and Toad) I am taking some time off, try and get my hamstrings to sing the happy song instead of the constant complaining they do. :roll:

The gym and weights are looking good, a little mountain biking before it gets too cold, and who knows, maybe a few long walks in the woods. :D

mischa
Percy Williams

Postby mischa » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:20 am

You're way too modest, Suez! There were walkers out there that did only ONE loop (12.5k) of that 25k event in the same time you did TWO loops of it :wink:

Plus you beat out some runners - way to go!!

Return to “Walking”