Have switched to walking...

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Have switched to walking...

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:55 pm

This is hard. I've never run fast, in fact I've always run pretty slow, but it's hard to NOT run. I have switched to walking for a time until I feel fitter. I'm hoping I'll be less likely to over do it and flare-up the Fibromyalgia this way, and will be able to stick with a routine. So far I've still managed to not find the time and/or have found excuses to not workout 3 out of 7 days. However, this is a new week right? So I'm 1 for 1 so far!

I walked 6k for 56mins. on the treadmill while watching Miracle on 34th Street with my girlies. I've found that my mind has to be otherwise occupied in order to get through the whole workout lately. Reading on the treadmill is a good way to make myself not run, since I can't really read while running.

If I fall asleep reasonably quickly tonight I'm going to try starting a new routine of walking before getting ready for work. I routinely wake up an hour or so before my alarm and then sleep fitfully until I have to get out of bed anyway, so what odds? I've tried to start this routine before, but with running, and I think it will somehow be easier to walk at that time of day, as I CAN walk immediately after eating without repercussions. Last week this was my plan, but Sunday night I was awake until after 3:30am, so let's hope I'm beyond those issues now.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Have switched to walking...

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 pm

This is an excellent plan...imho.
It's a much better plan than just crawling onto a couch, and drinking single malt scotches... something I would probably contemplate...but you're obviously much more determined :roll: :wink:

You inspire me. Why? Because you always work at figuring out stuff that will work for you. I admire your persistance, your "don't give up" attitude.

Yep..you Rock. :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks Jojo.

I have unfortunately allowed myself to indulge far too much in crawl-onto-the-couch-with-a-glass-of-red-wine-therapy but have found that running once/week (2-3 times on a REALLY good week) is just not working for this aching (and by aching I mean extremely stiff and painful) body of mine.

I was ready to give up on all therapies, but have decided to stick with them a little while longer while I also pursue physio/osteo AND Naturopathy. Thank you for benefits! Hopefully my previous physio referral will still apply. I'm not sure how I'll fit the appts in, but will take it one treatment at a time.

In the meantime, the dr. told me that I HAVE to find a way to fit in an HOUR-A-DAY (!) of physical activity. When I alluded to my work/family situation (she not being my regular dr.) simply said - you HAVE to find the time. I could have cried. I do know what she means, but the only time of day available (consistently) is at 5:30am. So if I can't make this work, I don't know what to do.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Is there any way you could break this one hour a day in to two segments.
I.E..a half hour in the morning...and then a half hour some time later in the day.

Just a thought...not knowing how your daily stuff unfolds.

I have a good friend who deals with this...so although I don't walk in your shoes....I'm good friends with someone who does.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 am

Hello and Happy New Year - let's pray for a healthier one! Haven't posted in a long while but have been reading posts.

Jo-Jo is correct, try to split your activity into two or even three segments. I have had to do that because of the heel problem.
It is easier on the body and you could try to do it while dinner is cooking, an hour before bedtime (not right before bed) and, of course, the early morning
walk outside. I know it is hard to find *YOUR* time to do *YOUR* thing but sometimes *WE* have to do what is best for *OURSELVES* and the heck
with something else. Do I make sense? It is like finding time to lock the bathroom door, have a quiet soak and relax.
Even a 10 minute walk three times a day - if you can fit it in will help.
I do hope you start to feel better soon and that 2010 will be a healing year for you.

(little hi-jack,,,,,for those who read and know my little issue - seeing the surgeon tomorrow for the heel spur going into the achilles tendon, We are going to
discuss my options....not many, really only one - operation which I really don't want but having to wear backless shoes all the time because regular shoes/runner hurt - really sucks.!)

Take care and healing vibes to you!!
Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 am

That's just what I'm trying now. :)
I'm trying to establish a new routine of an early morning half hour workout, then again at lunch.
We'll see how the new routine works for me.
Thanks for you note and healing vibes to you too Karen.
Trish
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Re: Have switched to walking... (med. update)

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:33 am

Still working on the routine and trying to establish something workable...

The good news is, my osteo/physio seems to be getting to the root of some of my longer term issues (neck/shoulders/back - woohoo!!!!) and seems to have determined what is wrong with my ankle and why it's still not "right". The bad news is that what he has determined is that the retinaculum(s) of my ankle is/are damaged. This is not good news, as these tissues are not able to repair the way muscles can. I will likely always have to tape my ankle for support. :( He's going to give me some exercises to strengthen around it, so that I am less prone to rolling it, but I worry that in the long term he's going to tell me not to run anymore.

Thankfully I'm enjoying walking when I do it, and am happy to be back on my bike. If only I could find a way to swim that doesn't aggravate my shoulder so much, I could almost get back to my old favourites.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:37 am

I am pleased to see that some progress is being made in your recovery. Keep on smiling and as per your avatar pic
enjoy a glass of wine now and then heehee......

Karen
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Good to hear you are making some progress, Trish. One step forward means you are going in the right direction!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks Nick. I actually have clocked more mileage this month than my previous averages, and it's not over yet. :)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Return to “Walking”