Weird Question

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Weird Question

Postby lovethehills » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 am

What is the distance correlation from road to trail? Obviously 5km is 5km, but if I was going to run 8km on the trail, is it the same as 8km on the road? Or is the difference simply time?

I know the terrain will change things, but is there a typical rule of thumb?

(I swear this question made sense in my head!!)
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 am

I haven't heard a rule of thumb, if there is one...

I count the distances the same... a mile is a mile... but I expect the trails to be slower and tougher. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 am

A lot of people when then get into trail vs road train based on time, not distance, so it is not a silly question.

If you normally take 45 minutes to run 8k, then yes switch to 45 minutes on the trail and whatever distance.

I personally have a hard time with that because a 10k or 50k race is still that distance and you have to train for that distance. This generally means my training distances remain the same, just the time that the training takes is longer.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 am

When i was substituting in trail runs for road runs in training, i would just do the corresponding time, as strider suggested.

So, if my schedule called for 6k, i would run about 36-40 minutes on a trail- even though that may only be 4.5-5k on the trail for me. I don't think there is a rule of thumb though.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:08 am

Awesome, thanks everyone for replying so quickly! I'm toying with joining a clinic and wanted to make sure I could do the distance on the trail. (Dumb, I know!)
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 am

Well, you've already got lots of information T!

Another thing when going from road to trail - the uphills can be brutal, there is no shame in walking a bit if needed. Then you get the childhood joy of screaming downhill at full tilt! And don't forget to throw in a whoop & holler while doing so! :oops: :lol:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 am

MINI-T wrote:Well, you've already got lots of information T!

Another thing when going from road to trail - the uphills can be brutal, there is no shame in walking a bit if needed. Then you get the childhood joy of screaming downhill at full tilt! And don't forget to throw in a whoop & holler while doing so! :oops: :lol:

yeah even the pros walk some of the biggest hills. :)

the downhills rock! Ruin taught me to weave from side to side on the steeper downhills (he says even on the switchbacks) rather than running down in a straight line... easier on the body that way and you aren't constantly braking. (it's like the side-to-side motion when you're on a waterslide...)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Oh yea, Ruin. Isn't he close to me now? I should give him a holler to host a clinic for me! Little does he know we knew each other back in the day.....

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 pm

lovethehills wrote:Oh yea, Ruin. Isn't he close to me now? I should give him a holler to host a clinic for me! Little does he know we knew each other back in the day.....

If you want to learn trail running, he's the one to talk to!

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Hills and footing really make a difference, so using time instead of distance is the best option. I've never used distance as the measure, always time.

SALTY-DOG
Johnny Miles

Trail Times vs Road Times

Postby SALTY-DOG » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Typically you'll run anywhere from 10-25% slower on trail vs road. Most conditioned runners will do the 10-15% ... if 5K on the road takes 20 minutes then 5K on trail might take 22-25 minutes. Since there are so many variable, it is difficult to come up with a precise conversion; terrain difficulty, steepness of climbs, balance and agility are just a few of the factors that create more physical challenge and consequently increase time.
As an example, I pulled the results of a 42 yo male runner to compare his road and trail times, both results are from 2008 races:
Sept 2008, Road 5K 17:58 = 3:35/km pace
June 2008, Trail 4.95K 20:42 = 4:10/km pace
I figured this to be about 17% increase on trail.
A good way to gauge your road vs trail workouts is to monitor your heart rate during each and compare with pace. You certainly see a higher average HR during trail runs while trying to maintain a "road pace" Just be cautious of footing and terrain at that pace!
Good Luck
See you on the trails!

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:03 pm

the only thing not mentioned is that you'll tend to have more fun on trails than roads :-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:the only thing not mentioned is that you'll tend to have more fun on trails than roads :-)

Dwayne

that was assumed! :)

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 pm

lovethehills wrote:Oh yea, Ruin. Isn't he close to me now? I should give him a holler to host a clinic for me! Little does he know we knew each other back in the day.....

we did?!?!

re: the question there is no given formula as every trail is so different (elevation, camber, erosion, grade, altitude, exposure, terrain etc.). For a reference to the trails in around the lower mainland I find next to no difference on the Pacific Spirit Park trails in comparison to road and same with Stanley Park. Perhaps marginally slower on the trails as the rebound isn't as much as road but recovery is better.

Grouse Grind is 3k and that is compared to your 10k time (ish) on road. But that is just going uphill. Rice Lake, Lynn Headwaters, Seymour Demo Forest, Mosquito Creek are slower but not that much than road. Deep Cove, Mount Seymour, Baden Powell - A LOT SLOWER!!!!!

Hope that helps some!

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:the only thing not mentioned is that you'll tend to have more fun on trails than roads :-)

Dwayne

So says you.

It is pretty darn fun.

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 pm

klewlis wrote:

Dwayne

that was assumed! :)

Yep, that was the plan!! :lol:

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:54 pm

ultrarune wrote:

we did?!?!

re: the question there is no given formula as every trail is so different (elevation, camber, erosion, grade, altitude, exposure, terrain etc.). For a reference to the trails in around the lower mainland I find next to no difference on the Pacific Spirit Park trails in comparison to road and same with Stanley Park. Perhaps marginally slower on the trails as the rebound isn't as much as road but recovery is better.

Grouse Grind is 3k and that is compared to your 10k time (ish) on road. But that is just going uphill. Rice Lake, Lynn Headwaters, Seymour Demo Forest, Mosquito Creek are slower but not that much than road. Deep Cove, Mount Seymour, Baden Powell - A LOT SLOWER!!!!!

Hope that helps some!

Please don't compare trail running to the Grind....yikes. This is very helpful and I may head out with a crew here. She said they did 9kms last week and the times ranged from 1:25 - 2 hours. I can keep up with that!

Ruin: Waterloo quite a few years ago, Runner's Choice crew.

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:52 pm

lovethehills wrote:
ultrarune wrote:

we did?!?!

Hope that helps some!

Please don't compare trail running to the Grind....yikes. This is very helpful and I may head out with a crew here. She said they did 9kms last week and the times ranged from 1:25 - 2 hours. I can keep up with that!

Ruin: Waterloo quite a few years ago, Runner's Choice crew.

back when steve thomas was still in charge of the wednesday run group?!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 am

Exactly!!

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:09 pm

lovethehills wrote:Exactly!!

my brain is hurting from trying to figure out! do i get a hint?!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”