Gatineau Park & Ottawa area trail runs - Add yours!

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Strider
Jerome Drayton

Re: Gatineau Park & Ottawa area trail runs - Add yours!

Postby Strider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:35 pm

treadlightly wrote:We ended up doing Trail #36 to Trail #50 (west) and back for a total of 24K and LOVED IT! Trail #50 was great for us newbies, Trail #36 was pretty hilly but fun.

Good choice - #36 is one of my most favourite sections, it's not hilly though, it's rolling :)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 am

On the weekend I ran 22K on the Stony Swamp Trails. This run is probably more like 20K if you don't get lost and have to backtrack.

I parked at P13 behind Bell High School and ran behind the baseball diamond until the end of the fence where the trail starts. Don't follow the gravel road, it just takes you to the hydro station. Ran Trail #28 to #27 to #26 in a clockwise direction (always heading left). The trail was well-marked here with numbers and was a mix of pine needles, rocks, roots and meadows and was beautiful. Followed the lime kiln trail to the ruins which were cool. The path here is gravel-covered. Past the ruins when you arrive at a right turn option with one of those educational signs that tells you nothing about where you are on the trail take the right turn. Otherwise the gravel road just takes you to Richmond Rd. I followed this trail to P6 but it isn't marked with numbers, just triangles. After hitting P6 I turned around and headed to P8 but got a little turned around in here too. When it was rooty it was really rooty. Once at P8 I took Trail #27 to #28 back to P13, again clockwise so I was running on a different loop than on the way out.

It was a varied trail and I'm so happy to have something like it close to home. It was more technical than I'm probably ready for and I cranked my ankle on the rocks a little bit. I would love to see more numbered trail signs. I had a great time and will head back whenever running in the Gats isn't an option. It would be great to hear about more trails on the Ottawa side too.
Green Smoothies Rock!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:13 pm

treadlightly wrote:On the weekend I ran 22K on the Stony Swamp Trails. This run is probably more like 20K if you don't get lost and have to backtrack.

I parked at P13 behind Bell High School and ran behind the baseball diamond until the end of the fence where the trail starts. Don't follow the gravel road, it just takes you to the hydro station. Ran Trail #28 to #27 to #26 in a clockwise direction (always heading left). The trail was well-marked here with numbers and was a mix of pine needles, rocks, roots and meadows and was beautiful. Followed the lime kiln trail to the ruins which were cool. The path here is gravel-covered. Past the ruins when you arrive at a right turn option with one of those educational signs that tells you nothing about where you are on the trail take the right turn. Otherwise the gravel road just takes you to Richmond Rd. I followed this trail to P6 but it isn't marked with numbers, just triangles. After hitting P6 I turned around and headed to P8 but got a little turned around in here too. When it was rooty it was really rooty. Once at P8 I took Trail #27 to #28 back to P13, again clockwise so I was running on a different loop than on the way out.

It was a varied trail and I'm so happy to have something like it close to home. It was more technical than I'm probably ready for and I cranked my ankle on the rocks a little bit. I would love to see more numbered trail signs. I had a great time and will head back whenever running in the Gats isn't an option. It would be great to hear about more trails on the Ottawa side too.

I used to bike there a lot back in the day. Those are great trails.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Kim and I ran #24 and #25 from TCT up to Chipmunk Trail a few times last year. Haven't been back yet this year. Likely the same as #26/#27/#28 as far as technical and not really hilly. I should get out there and run them again - maybe Sunday.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:48 pm

So I would like to try my new trail shoes this weekend, but don't know where I can venture off safely on my own (read here safety for a woman running alone).... I was thinking of starting in the NCC trails in the east end (either Mer Bleue area or Leitrim road area).... does anyone know if 1) this is safe? and 2) I can bring my dog (on leash of course)....??
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:44 am

If I were to choose, I'd say trails #43 and #44 just off Davidson. A lot of people bird watch there and bring their kids for a hike in the woods. Trail #43 (across Davidson from P18) is a 2.5km semi-circle, so you can run it there-and-back for a nice easy 5km.

Running #50 & #51 from P20 on Anderson is also a really good option. I would say during the day they are pretty safe too. I run there at lunch sometimes and there are often women by themselves. Dogs are welcome on either of them.

Enjoy the shoes and bring water.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks Strider - I appreciate this.... :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:02 am

I saw this poster today and thought of this thread:

More information found here:
http://www.cpaws-ov-vo.org/index_e.html
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Headed up to Gatineau Park this weekend and did Skyline #6, #8/17 and #30. Conditions were great as it was somewhat frozen underfoot. For more details and pictures, head top my blog: http://mstocksley.blogspot.com/
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:08 am

mas_runner wrote:Headed up to Gatineau Park this weekend and did Skyline #6, #8/17 and #30. Conditions were great as it was somewhat frozen underfoot. For more details and pictures, head top my blog: http://mstocksley.blogspot.com/

Great report, was that your first time on those trails? that is one of my favourite loops.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 am

Strider wrote:
mas_runner wrote:Headed up to Gatineau Park this weekend and did Skyline #6, #8/17 and #30. Conditions were great as it was somewhat frozen underfoot. For more details and pictures, head top my blog: http://mstocksley.blogspot.com/

Great report, was that your first time on those trails? that is one of my favourite loops.

It was my first time on #6, you recommended it to me after I did #8/17 last time. It didn't disappoint, loads of ups and downs and changing terrains, the views from the right hand fork are amazing.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:04 am

I should probably head up there on Saturday if the snow holds off. I have a 3 hour run to do...of course that also depends on Friday night ;) - I have done my last 2 weekend runs on the RLT/NCC trails and even though they are not hilly they are technically tougher than the Gatineau Trails. (also because there is no hills to speak of, you don't get those nice walk breaks so you are hammering the whole time)

Nice thing about trail # 6 is that is totally different when you run it in the opposite direction. I usually run it first counter-clockwise and then when I get back to the fork turn around and run it clockwise. I think the loop is 3km so it is a great warm-up for long days.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 am

Strider wrote:I should probably head up there on Saturday if the snow holds off. I have a 3 hour run to do...of course that also depends on Friday night ;) - I have done my last 2 weekend runs on the RLT/NCC trails and even though they are not hilly they are technically tougher than the Gatineau Trails. (also because there is no hills to speak of, you don't get those nice walk breaks so you are hammering the whole time)

Nice thing about trail # 6 is that is totally different when you run it in the opposite direction. I usually run it first counter-clockwise and then when I get back to the fork turn around and run it clockwise. I think the loop is 3km so it is a great warm-up for long days.

Cool! I ran it counter-clockwise, I will do a double loop next time to see the difference.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 am

I didn't mention it in my blog but there were 4 guys on mountain bikes on trail #17/8. I don't know why people cannot respect the rules up there but I didn't say anything (I was alone vs 4 guys and didn't like my chances if it turned nasty). However a lady with a dog gave them a piece of her mind right after they passed me.

They were finding it tough going and I actually ended up passing them. Then ran up #30 to Wattsford lookout to admire the view one last time and I saw them heading onto #8 (also a non-bike trail).
PBs

2017 races - coming up

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 am

mas_runner wrote:I didn't mention it in my blog but there were 4 guys on mountain bikes on trail #17/8. I don't know why people cannot respect the rules up there but I didn't say anything (I was alone vs 4 guys and didn't like my chances if it turned nasty). However a lady with a dog gave them a piece of her mind right after they passed me.

They were finding it tough going and I actually ended up passing them. Then ran up #30 to Wattsford lookout to admire the view one last time and I saw them heading onto #8 (also a non-bike trail).

Do you really think the NCC banned MTBer's because of erosion? I think they are more worried of liabilities than ecological conservation...
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:28 am

_Eric_ wrote:
mas_runner wrote:I didn't mention it in my blog but there were 4 guys on mountain bikes on trail #17/8. I don't know why people cannot respect the rules up there but I didn't say anything (I was alone vs 4 guys and didn't like my chances if it turned nasty). However a lady with a dog gave them a piece of her mind right after they passed me.

Do you really think the NCC banned MTBer's because of erosion? I think they are more worried of liabilities than ecological conservation...

I didn't really think about why they have hiking/running trails only and others that allow MTBs. All I knew was that they weren't supposed to be on there, but thinking about it now I would be inclined to agree with you, there are some parts of trail 17 that I would want no part of on a MTB.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:10 pm

I don't know about Gatineau Park specifically, but in talking to various conservation area managers around Toronto I've been told that trail damage is indeed a huge issue with MTBers. The damage caused in even one month on some popular trails is remarkable. In fairness though, I find MTB organizations are really very good at contributing money and volunteer hours to trail maintenance. Way better than us trail runners.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:50 pm

dgrant wrote:I don't know about Gatineau Park specifically, but in talking to various conservation area managers around Toronto I've been told that trail damage is indeed a huge issue with MTBers. The damage caused in even one month on some popular trails is remarkable. In fairness though, I find MTB organizations are really very good at contributing money and volunteer hours to trail maintenance. Way better than us trail runners.

I know that's true here. The Mtb Associations do so much work on the trails. (Of course, at times, I hate a lot of the work they do, when I'm running, because those steep rock slides get slippery!) We trail runners have the odd volunteer requirement for races, or trail maintenance days, but from what I've seen - and maybe I do have limited exposure, who knows - what you say is true.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Well in my opinion, a park is for people to play in it and enjoy it, nature is not a 16th-century portrait!

I agree with you that it has an impact on the environment but seriously how bad is it?

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I'm no PIRATE. I bought my seasons pass at Camp Fortune and I only go on official trails.
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:59 pm

_Eric_ wrote:Well in my opinion, a park is for people to play in it and enjoy it, nature is not a 16th-century portrait!

I agree with you that it has an impact on the environment but seriously how bad is it?

So if you frequented a park and used your MTB on an MTB only trail but came across say a bunch of people on ATVs and they said, "hey, it's a park, we're just enjoying ourselves"...would that be ok?

EDIT: just saw your edit. The point still stands, if the NCC are able to prolong the life of the trails by making rules about traffic, is whether we think there would be significant damage or not relevant?
PBs

2017 races - coming up

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Always an issue over here on the Bruce Trail. It was created for foot traffic with seperate priorities from cyclists. It attempts to go over the "prime route" which is close to cliffs and near precious plant life and geological formations. "Bicycles on the Bruce"
ATTENTION
HIKERS AND USERS OF THE BRUCE TRAIL
The Bruce Trail is a public footpath entirely built, and maintained, by volunteers for the purpose
of protecting the Niagara Escarpment, the most signifi cant landform in southern Ontario.
The Trail runs from the Niagara River to Tobermory and passes through the Towns of Milton,
Halton Hills and Caledon.
The Bruce Trail is a footpath. Bicycles and motorized vehicles are not allowed except in some
very limited areas. This applies to both the main Trail (marked with white blazes) and Side
Trails (blue blazes). There are three compelling reasons for this: owners’ wishes, safety and
ecology.
More than half the Trail is on private land with the permission of the landowner. This permission
is for a hiking trail only. Use of the trail by motorized vehicles or bicycles could cause the
landowner to require removal of the Trail from his land.
The Trail has many bends, twists and steep hills. Sharing it with bicycles or vehicles is very
dangerous. Our priority is the safety of hikers so that they don’t have to worry about what is
coming around the next bend.
Bicycles and vehicles have negative ecological effects along the Trail. They damage plants and
animals and create much more erosion than the boots of hikers.
To summarize, the members of the Bruce Trail Conservancy respectfully request that everybody
refrain from using bicycles or motorized vehicles on the Trail.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

mas_runner wrote:
_Eric_ wrote:Well in my opinion, a park is for people to play in it and enjoy it, nature is not a 16th-century portrait!

So if you frequented a park and used your MTB on an MTB only trail but came across say a bunch of people on ATVs and they said, "hey, it's a park, we're just enjoying ourselves"...would that be ok?

Of course not, you need to talk to the NCC about that! This year the NCC has been doing some extensive “rehabilitation” work with heavy machineries so now the main trails are now roads and on top of that they resurfaced the path with contaminated soil...

According to the National Capital Commission, trash is suitable for trails?!?!?! (SAY WHAT?)

"...traces of glass, wire and chemicals, making it suitable for a trail in a public park"
http://outdoorottawa.com/2010/09/gatine ... h-garbage/

I'm not making this stuff up, I don't trust the NCC because of those reasons. Public consultation is a joke talk to Rock Climbers about it! Look it up
Last edited by _Eric_ on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Chuck Palahniuk

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:40 pm

_Eric_ wrote:
Of course not, you need to talk to the NCC about that! This year the NCC has been doing some extensive “rehabilitation” work with heavy machineries so now the main trails are now roads and on top of that they resurfaced the path with contaminated soil...

According to the National Capital Commission, trash suitable for trails?!?!?! (SAY WHAT?)

"...traces of glass, wire and chemicals, making it suitable for a trail in a public park"
http://outdoorottawa.com/2010/09/gatine ... h-garbage/

Hmm, hopefully that isn't true. I was on a small section of #1 this weekend and didn't see anything like that, but as I say, I was only on a small section of it.

Speaking for myself, I don't know a thing about the NCC, but when I use the park, if a sign says no entry or hiking only then I respect that.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 pm

mas_runner wrote:Hmm, hopefully that isn't true. I was on a small section of #1 this weekend and didn't see anything like that, but as I say, I was only on a small section of it.

Speaking for myself, I don't know a thing about the NCC, but when I use the park, if a sign says no entry or hiking only then I respect that.

I've seen it myself at the intersection trail #1 and #14 a piece of wire sticking out of the ground

-Chuck Palahniuk

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:55 pm

_Eric_ wrote:
mas_runner wrote:Hmm, hopefully that isn't true. I was on a small section of #1 this weekend and didn't see anything like that, but as I say, I was only on a small section of it.

I've seen it myself at the intersection trail #1 and #14 a piece of wire sticking out of the ground

Damn, that's not good. Somebody somewhere has made a huge balls up...
PBs

2017 races - coming up

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”