Fat Ass Trail Run Anyone?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Fat Ass Trail Run Anyone?

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Great shot!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:Great shot!

:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:06 pm

That is a great photo -- well except for my nasty hair! :lol:

I had a great time, and it was nice to meet more maniacs! Too bad I had to leave so quickly afterwards, but I was getting picked up to go to Cornwall for work. However I did manage to shovel a bowl of chili into my tummy and a cookie or two. I did the 10K and I have confirmed to myself that I definitely like that 10K route much better than the 7.5K. So if you did the 7.5K this year, you should definitely give the 10K a try.

That is an interesting obvservation about the high ratio of women to men for the race. Truthfully, I think it is that the men are just afraid of those trails with all the rough terrain and mud. :lol: Actually, it may be the fact that it is billed more as a fun race, and there aren't the AG prizes like serious runners want to compete for. Not that women aren't serious runners, as I know several who are. But they also like the fun aspects as well.

You are right that Sandy has done a good job with her running clinics that she runs out of Tri & Run Sports. I was actually in her very first ever running group and we still have several members who come out every week to run. She started this group as an exercise/walking class, then we started running, and never looked back. This was in 1997 and all prior to her starting the store. She also runs group bike training and open water swims through the store. This past summer she put on a series of mini-triathlons/duathlons, known as the Cookie Tri. A lot of fun. Sandy really knows how to combine competition AND fun. Her store also sponsors many running events in the local area and is one of the major sponsors of the Surf & Turf, which is a team relay event held at the air base every year. If you aren't from Trenton, but are passing by, take a little detour off the 401 at Wooler Road and head south to Highway 2, then go east, just past 2nd Dug Hill Road to Tri & Run Sports.
Jane

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:55 pm

runjanerun wrote:You are right that Sandy has done a good job with her running clinics that she runs out of Tri & Run Sports. I was actually in her very first ever running group and we still have several members who come out every week to run. She started this group as an exercise/walking class, then we started running, and never looked back. This was in 1997 and all prior to her starting the store. She also runs group bike training and open water swims through the store. This past summer she put on a series of mini-triathlons/duathlons, known as the Cookie Tri. A lot of fun. Sandy really knows how to combine competition AND fun. Her store also sponsors many running events in the local area and is one of the major sponsors of the Surf & Turf, which is a team relay event held at the air base every year. If you aren't from Trenton, but are passing by, take a little detour off the 401 at Wooler Road and head south to Highway 2, then go east, just past 2nd Dug Hill Road to Tri & Run Sports.

Must stop by the shop if I am in the neighbourhood :D
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Just bumping up this thread since I've been looking for fun races to do this November and most of the road 1/2m's around Ottawa are in October! Is anyone registered yet? I'd consider doing the 7.5 or 10K and would need somewhere to stay the night before the race (send recommendations!).

eta. Hmmm, a 'most lost' prize. That could be mine! :lol:
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm

carm wrote:Just bumping up this thread since I've been looking for fun races to do this November and most of the road 1/2m's around Ottawa are in October! Is anyone registered yet? I'd consider doing the 7.5 or 10K and would need somewhere to stay the night before the race (send recommendations!).

I might be interested as well Carm -- we could perhaps share accommodations if you'd like and travel together and split the costs.... what date is the race this year, and where?? Do you have a link to the website??
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 pm

carm wrote:Just bumping up this thread since I've been looking for fun races to do this November and most of the road 1/2m's around Ottawa are in October! Is anyone registered yet? I'd consider doing the 7.5 or 10K and would need somewhere to stay the night before the race (send recommendations!).

I'm hoping to run it again this year if I can get back in shape in time.

Carm and Sylvie, if you don't mind getting up early you probably don't need to spend on accommodations. I drove down the morning of the race last year.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:

I might be interested as well Carm -- we could perhaps share accommodations if you'd like and travel together and split the costs.... what date is the race this year, and where?? Do you have a link to the website??

I'd totally be up for that, Sylvie! The race is Sunday November 18 in Batawa, ON which is close to Trenton.
http://www.fatasstrailrun.com/

Good point, Mike. It's not really *that* far with a 10 am race start. Kit pick-up is just before that. Hope you can come too!
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Sounds great Carm and Mike -- let me know which one you choose to sign up for, Carm, and I will do the same to make sure I don't help you up too much.... I will double check my schedule when I get home to make sure there are no conflicts..... also, I would be happy to make my way to your place early on race day morning, and then we can head out early -- that would probably work best for me, but if you'd rather stay overnight, I would be good with that as well....
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Sounds great. We'll discuss once you've confirmed your schedule. You're welcome to do a longer run. I'll just hang out and read a book or socialize. I'd like to do a few more Gats trail runs first before making my final decision. Waiting till I do the ARK (3 weeks before) to register would be too close to race day and I want to get the schwag for the first 300 racers!
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 pm

carm wrote:Sounds great. We'll discuss once you've confirmed your schedule. You're welcome to do a longer run. I'll just hang out and read a book or socialize. I'd like to do a few more Gats trail runs first before making my final decision. Waiting till I do the ARK (3 weeks before) to register would be too close to race day and I want to get the schwag for the first 300 racers!

I don't think I'll be heading up to the Gats before my 50-miler in NY (too worried about spraining an ankle), but for sure once I'm back, I would be good with heading up there to get some training in..... now I'm excited :D
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for posting all of the previous years' photos. Wow, it looks like it could be one DIRTY race. I'd better bring garbage bags to put over my car seats. :lol: Can anyone pass along pros and cons for the 7.5K and the 10K other than the fact that the 7.5K goes up the ski hill? I plan on doing my longer trail runs up to around 15K in the next couple of months on hillier terrain.
Carm

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 am

carm wrote:Thanks for posting all of the previous years' photos. Wow, it looks like it could be one DIRTY race. I'd better bring garbage bags to put over my car seats. :lol: Can anyone pass along pros and cons for the 7.5K and the 10K other than the fact that the 7.5K goes up the ski hill? I plan on doing my longer trail runs up to around 15K in the next couple of months on hillier terrain.

If you bring a change of clothes there are places to change in the ski lodge.

As for 7.5 vs 10km, how about the 17.5 race, which does both? :) If you're doing trail runs of up to 15km, you'd have no problem with it and if you're driving there you might as well get your money worth.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 am

MikeM wrote:
carm wrote:Thanks for posting all of the previous years' photos. Wow, it looks like it could be one DIRTY race. I'd better bring garbage bags to put over my car seats. :lol: Can anyone pass along pros and cons for the 7.5K and the 10K other than the fact that the 7.5K goes up the ski hill? I plan on doing my longer trail runs up to around 15K in the next couple of months on hillier terrain.

As for 7.5 vs 10km, how about the 17.5 race, which does both? :) If you're doing trail runs of up to 15km, you'd have no problem with it and if you're driving there you might as well get your money worth.

this
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Spirit wrote:
MikeM wrote:

this

You guys are NUTS and a bad influence on me! I will consider it once I get some more trail mileage under my belt. I do have that new Nathan hydration pack so I really don't have any good excuses. :lol:

I can't even use cost as an 'out' since all of the races cost $45!
Carm

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

carm wrote:
Spirit wrote:
MikeM wrote:

this

You guys are NUTS and a bad influence on me! I will consider it once I get some more trail mileage under my belt. I do have that new Nathan hydration pack so I really don't have any good excuses. :lol:

I can't even use cost as an 'out' since all of the races cost $45!

Lack of trail mileage is no excuse either. :twisted: The race last year was my first "real trail" run ever. :D

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:37 pm

MikeM wrote:Lack of trail mileage is no excuse either. :twisted: The race last year was my first "real trail" run ever. :D

Like I said, BAD INFLUENCE! :naughty:
Carm

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

I just registered. I am in for the 17.5K for now. They will let you change the distance right up till race morning. Don't wait until too long to register as only the first 300 registered get the registration gifts. There is only 88 showing on line but I registered at the store and my name isn't showing yet. I know that the local people all register at the store.

There are two hotels right at the 401 which puts you about a 5 to 7 minute drive to Batawa where the race is held. One is the Comfort Inn and the other is the Holiday Inn. Do not -- I repeat -- do not book at the Days Inn in Trenton. Sketchiest hotel ever. There is also a Travelodge which is down on Highway 2 and about 15 minutes further away (max).

We were out at Batawa this morning trail running/walking. It was dry as a bone out there. Normally it is wet, wet, wet and muddy. As a matter of fact, back at the beginning of June I fell and hurt my hand as I was trying to run through water up to my knees. Today there was two small puddles which were mostly just mud. Of course, this could change by November. :lol: It isn't an easy course. You have to be constantly watching for roots, rocks, etc. The prizes are given out by closest to your predicted time. So if you normally run a one hour 10K don't expect to be close to that. I believe you can also change your predicted time right up until race morning.
Jane

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:47 am

runjanerun wrote:I just registered. I am in for the 17.5K for now. They will let you change the distance right up till race morning. Don't wait until too long to register as only the first 300 registered get the registration gifts. There is only 88 showing on line but I registered at the store and my name isn't showing yet. I know that the local people all register at the store.

Thanks for the heads-up on the option to change of race distance up to race morning. I should really register then. If I register for the 17.5K, I wonder if that will keep me motivated to keep training hard? Likely!
Carm

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am

I've gone off the deep end and registered for the 17.5K, mostly for motivation purposes; however, I like having the option to down-grade on race day if needed. Time to go play in the woods to get ready for this thing! :D
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:27 am

I have signed up for the 17.5km as well -- looking forward to this race ..... should be a blast!!
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I just heard on the radio that the Holiday Inn is now the Ramada Inn, so if you can't find it, check that out. Both hotels are right at the 401 exit (#526). Not sure why they changed. They were Ramada when we moved here, changed to Holiday Inn and now they are back to Ramada. :roll:

I am doing the 17.5K and my longest run lately is 11K. Since I am a cruise from Sep 26 to Oct 10 and won't run then, and am not feeling especially motivated, I may be the last one coming in on the 17.5K. Hopefully five or six weeks when I get back will be enough to get me through. :lol: I'll probably walk a lot anyhow.
Jane

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 pm

We'll definitely have to meet up before and after the race, Jane. So far, there are 4-5 of us coming down from Ottawa so we will probably drive down the morning of and avoid the cost of a hotel. Have a great trip!
Carm

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Right! It doesn't start till 10 a.m. so it is not that hard to drive down the same day. I don't blame you!
Jane

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 am

Had a lot of fun at last year's race! The red sweatshirt schwag was the best!
Won a door prize for the longest distance travelled :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”