Beast of Burden 100 Miler

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Edward
Tom Longboat

Beast of Burden 100 Miler

Postby Edward » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 am

Last weekend I decided to take a shot at my first 100 miler.

Short version - Finished, got my buckle :dance: , 14th out of 58 that started, lost 8 pounds in the heat and humidily, passed out three times after the race, seriously messed up today.

Long version - Got to the race down in New York, course ran along the Erie Canal from Lockport to Middleport. Serious nerves as I went into this undertrained and with some injuires. Ran the first 25 miles way to fast, had ultra legend Iris Cooper pass me just before the end of the loop. The weather was hot and humid, drank like 6 bottles in the first loop, lots of salt pills. The body could not absorb all the fluid, added some liquid back into the Erie canal as I started puking around 28 miles. Dead crawl for awhile, got to the 37.5 mile mark in a daze, pretty loopy. :roll:

After sitting on the curb for about 30 minutes, giving every excuse to my crew member why I should drop out (he told me to stop whinning and suck it up), got up and headed back out with an arm full of solid food to eat while walking. The other runners went by giving me some encouragement, I was just trying to get myself back into the race mentally. At the 50 mile turnaround, I found nirvana. Grilled cheese sandwiches and coffee. Match made in heaven. Third loop I was able to run, really picked it up when the sun went down and the temperature dropped.

Fourth lap I had high hopes for finishing well and did ok until a 2 hour thunderstorm started. Got drenched from head to toe since I did not have a poncho. Wearing only a singlet, I was borderline frozen. Definition of hell, chafing. No amount of cream could help. It was quite wild running in the dark with a small light in the middle of no where and thunder strikes illuminating the entire sky around you.

Changed my cloths completely at 88.5 miles and headed out to complete the deathmarch. Who would have thought that walking could hurt so much.

Skipped across the finish line in 25:28 in 14th place, over half the field did not finish. Got my buckle and I was so happy that I finished.

Decided to take an ill advised shower right after the race. Passed out in the shower, again in the change room and once outside. Have some nasty bruises from hitting the ground.

Legs are seriously messed up, using lots of ice today, can't straighten either leg. Funny part, not one blister or black toenail! Toe socks are unreal. Ran 140 k in them before I changed them.

Overall, so happy I finished, pushed myself to the limits of my physical and mental capabilities. Going to rest for a few weeks, then start up again for MUCH shorter races. Toughest thing I have ever done, Ironman does not even show up on the radar compared to a 100 miler.

Met some great people out there on the course, including some ultra idols like Valmir Nunes, Iris Cooper and Charlotte V.

Going back to sleep now. :wink: :D
Edward

January 2012- New Year`s Day Marathon and Run4Rkids 6 Hour Ultra
February 2012 - Melbourne Beach Marathon
March 2012 - Around the Bay
April 2012 - Paris to Ancaster Cycling Race and the "No Wimp" Challenge 21k and 50 k in Michigan
May 2012 - Sulphur Springs 50 k
June 2012 - Niagara 100 k -first ever DNF
July 2012 - Badwater Ultramarathon (crew member)
August 2012 - Beast of Burden 50 Miler
September 2012 - Run for Heros Marathon
October 2012 - Vulture Bait 50 k
November 2012 - Road2Hope Marathon and JFK 50 Miler
December 2012 - Have to find a race to make it an even dozen.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Beast of Burden 100 Miler

Postby Dr. S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 pm

That sounds very intense... both the race and the passing out!

Way to tough it out. You're strong and ultra(runner) crazy!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Dude that is borderline suicidal, well done. Scary about passing out, but holy crap talk about mental toughness - you own that corner of the market. Enjoy the painful recovery.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 pm

lol that sounded like the best time. Whens the next one?

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 pm

lol that sounded like the best time. Whens the next one?

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Thx for the report. Crimony!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Strider wrote:Dude that is borderline suicidal, well done. Scary about passing out, but holy crap talk about mental toughness - you own that corner of the market. Enjoy the painful recovery.

Yep...what he said.
Shakin my head now a bit. :roll: :wink:
Rest up...and heal up.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:27 am

Congratulations Edward … I take two things away from reading your report. First huge Kudos for recovering from the stomach thing … I know exactly what you were going through. Second … I am buying some toe socks. As far as the passing out goes it can be avoided. As soon as you are done , lay down and elevate your legs then get some food and fluids in. I have the same problem from time to time.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Wow, nicely done! Congrats on your first 100 miler. You must be feeling elated... in between bouts of dizziness and intense sole/foot pain. :lol:
Way to go toughing it out and pulling it together for a really decent first time. Not sure which one is harder to run the Winter Beast or the Summer Beast... I'm leaning towards the winter one. Easier to control the temperature. Summer one is a scorcher. The weather at the Beast this year summer seems to have been the same as last year. Unbelievable how cold it gets when it rains so much after hot and muggy weather!

Rest up and take care of your body. You'll be eating like a wolf all week... load up on iron-rich foods and vitamins.

Now that you have all this great training on your legs, you could look at some of the fall 100s. Virgil Crest 100, if you're feeling like hitting the trails.

Hope the toe socks work for you to prevent blisters on trails. I find it's a whole different game when you run on trails... all the lateral motion in the foot can bring out a bunch of hot spots and blisters.
Ultrarunner again

Edward
Tom Longboat

Postby Edward » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:15 am

Thanks Ultraqueenga, coming from my idol, that means a lot.

As you know, that course is a bit BORING. I am looking forward to running back in the trails as they are much nicer. Congrats on your run at Iroquois.

The swelling has come down a bit, still need a few days before the legs are back to normal.

Time to go back to sleep again. Can't beleive how tired I am all week. :lol:
Edward

January 2012- New Year`s Day Marathon and Run4Rkids 6 Hour Ultra
February 2012 - Melbourne Beach Marathon
March 2012 - Around the Bay
April 2012 - Paris to Ancaster Cycling Race and the "No Wimp" Challenge 21k and 50 k in Michigan
May 2012 - Sulphur Springs 50 k
June 2012 - Niagara 100 k -first ever DNF
July 2012 - Badwater Ultramarathon (crew member)
August 2012 - Beast of Burden 50 Miler
September 2012 - Run for Heros Marathon
October 2012 - Vulture Bait 50 k
November 2012 - Road2Hope Marathon and JFK 50 Miler
December 2012 - Have to find a race to make it an even dozen.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Yeah, one of those 100 milers takes the wind out of ya for a few days. Happy snoozing...

Hope you're slowly getting back to normal. I imagine your body retained a fair bit of water in the days after the race and your feet, especially toes were really swollen. Now your feet are primed and you showed them what 100 miles is. They'll never be normal again. :lol:
Ultrarunner again

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:07 am

That passing out part is one of the main reasons I didn't try 100 at Lean Horse. I'd been having some low-blood-pressure symptoms during training, and my wife was worried sick that I'd end up alone in hospital in South Dakota, which would be a real mess. But 50 miles seemed ok with her, since I'd done it a few times before. In the event, I never did have any symptoms, even after.
coyote jogger

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”