Lean Horse Ultra 50 and 100 miles

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Lean Horse Ultra 50 and 100 miles

Postby RonPerth » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:30 pm

A few days ago I did a long run in South Dakota.
Here's a link to some pictures I took; sorry about the fingerprints on the lense sometimes.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ronfrancis ... se50miler#

It was supposed to be my first 100 mile run, and it was supposed to be the Beast of Burden, but it ended up in South Dakota, and for a few pretty good reasons, I contacted the race director and asked to drop down to the 50, and that was ok with him.

So the race was in Hot Springs, a little town that time seems to have forgot. Lots of old red sandstone architecture, and no suburbs. There are over a hundred hot springs in the area. The local swimming pool is built over one, and I couldn't resist going for a swim the day before the race. About 5' deep, gravel bottom!, and the mineral water changes naturally about 16 times a day, they say. A pleasant normal pool temperature, and quite buoyant, and a little salty. After the race, I also sat in the creek that runs behind the Chamber of Commerce, and soaked up a bit of that mineral water too, a tip from one of the other runners.

The race hq was at the Chamber. There was an expo, and extra t-shirts and sweats for sale. I got a t-shirt and sweatshirt as an entrant, and bought a hat. Supper was laid on for runners after the final instructions on Friday, spaghetti and burgers and salad.

The race is mostly on a rails-to-trails course. But the exception is that runners get bussed out to the trail, then at the end, run back in thru town to the Chamber site for the finish. Saturday morning at 5:00, the buses aren't showing up as planned. So the race director had everyone carpool out to the start, about 10 miles, then arranged transport for those who left their vehicles at the trailhead. There were lots of those trailhead access points, and little cross roads, so runners' crews could keep in touch very well with them, and on the last 15 miles, could leapfrog their runner along the way in.

We started on time, in spite of the bus fuss. The lead people took off; the back of the pack started shuffling along. I had been training with a 5:1 run/walk pattern. Without a beeper watch, that didn't work for me, so I moved to 4:1, a minute's walk whenever the big hand got to a number. Unless there was a hill. There weren't many, because it was a rail bed. Some long ones, but very gradual, but the run back into town, the last 15 miles, were rolling, and by that time, rolling seemed hilly. I felt pretty good for 30 miles or so, then got kind of tired. It was also mentally tiring to not know where I was on the course or how well I was doing, even though I wasn't going to do anything differently anyway. Aid stations were well stocked, like most ultras, and had lots and lots of ice. It was in the 90's, but slightly breezy and not humid. So most of the day, my t-shirt was drying out, unlike Ontario. Coming back from the turnaround, I got to see the back of the pack 100 milers, an old, crusty, scruffy-looking lot for the most part, and none of them seemed to be running, as a matter of fact. Curious, but I guess they knew what they were doing. Saving themselves. They were continuing another 25 miles past my turnaround, then coming back. Anyway the rollers on the way back, once we got off the trail, gave me some walking time, and when the town came up, I could go back to my run/walk pattern for the last few miles. That was a first for me, to still be running at the end of 50 miler. My time was good too, 11:12, a pb for me, and second in my age group, of four starters.
coyote jogger

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Lean Horse Ultra 50 and 100 miles

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks.

I thought lean horse was more trails. But rails to trails I can do. Maybe next year.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 am

Looks beautiful Ron, great accomplishment.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:48 am

Congrats!!

I wish my lean horse experience went as well as yours.
I showed up on friday in Hot Springs and tried to register for the 50km. I had to hold off until the last minute to make sure my ankle injury was going to allow me to run after Pikes peak the week before. (I had hoped to run the 100 miler but knew on the previous monday that would not happen).

I was told that Online registration closed on wednesday (hey I am not online I am here in person). They would NOT allow me to register. I guess taking my money, writing down my name and issuing me a bib was to much to ask for. When I was told no I didnt make a fuse just left. I know rules are rules (didnt see anywhere where they stated no onsite registration but I could be wrong) or whatever. And yes my fault for not registering online but it was hard to get internet access in the middle of Yellowstone nation park.

Once again my fault BUT **** I am in south dakota and live in Toronto would it have been that hard to give me a bib.
I dont want to be but I guess I am a little bit bitter about it (can you tell). To bad too as Ioved south dakota but now dont think I will return to race there.
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 am

wow thats a real disappointment. seems so simple to give you a bib and take your money. it wasn't like a big city race with thousands of people. its not that simple to a race director to have people showing up out of the blue, I guess. Looks like you'll still get quite a bit of racing this year tho.
Ron
coyote jogger

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 am

maybe it was fate keeping chris off the course so his ankle would get better?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Wow , talk about big sky and wide open places … beautiful. I got to stop reading these sorts of reports the bucket list is starting to overflow! Congratulations on sticking to your race plan and achieving a PB.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”