News New documentary captures drama of Western States

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:18 pm

November 23, 2011

The Western States 100 mile ultramarathon is one of the world’s most famous -and difficult - ultras. One documentary filmmaker discovered that by running much of the race himself, with his camera.

JB Benna, a documentary filmmaker from Reno, Nev., made the documentary “Unbreakable: The Western States 100″ during last year’s 100 mile run. But Benna didn’t just follow the runners in a vehicle during the race. Instead, he ran much of the race with the leaders complete with 10-pound camera and boom mike.

Benna, an ultrarunner himself, logged about 34 miles of the 100 mile course. Eight other camera people supported his journey, but Benna tried to keep pace with eventual winner Geoff Roes, who set a course record.

“Though I think there’s a lot more shakiness in shots running with the camera, you get to be with the runners longer and get to feel the speed and the terrain of the race, rather than just seeing a guy run past the camera, then cut to another guy running past the camera and so on,” Benna told the Kansas City Star .

“My wife mentioned, the first time she watched it, she said, ‘You have these (runners) talking about the thing they’re actually doing in the moment rather than (after the fact) and showing some random clip,’ which seems to be a big thing in documentary filmmaking.”

Benna’s no stranger to the Western States race either. In 2009, he ran the race, trying to film himself and others while competing. He didn’t like the footage he go, so he came up with the plan to shoot the race for real in 2010.

To order the DVD or find theater screenings of “Unbreakable: The Western States 100,” go to www.ws100film.com .

http://runningmagazine.ca/2011/11/sections/news/new-documentary-captures-drama-of-western-states/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Andy Aitch
Tom Longboat

Re: News New documentary captures drama of Western States

Postby Andy Aitch » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:34 am

This is screening in Vancouver. Can someone with Facebook (apparently everyone in the world but yours truly...) click the link and share the info? Thanks!
Link.

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Who want's to see it? How much would it cost to rent a theater room ?

He's the cost for the movie:

Unbreakable Screening Digital Download
$150.00 0-15 ($10 Per Person) 92 in stock
$250.00 15-50 ($5 Per Person) 90 in stock
$450.00 51-100 ($4.50 Per Person) 98 in stock
$650.00 101-150 ($4 Per Person) 99 in stock
$700.00 151-200 ($3.50 Per Person) 99 in stock
$825.00 201-275 ($3 Per Person) 100 in stock
$999.00 276-400+ ($2.50 Per Person) 100 in stock

http://www.journeyfilm.com/servlet/the- ... oad/Detail
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

Andy Aitch
Tom Longboat

Postby Andy Aitch » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:18 pm

I saw this last night, it was pretty great. It made me want to go and run a hundred miles. I took my 10 year old, cross-country running son and he left a huge Geoff Roes fan, "Geoff Roes is super humble," said the boy.
As far as your own screening, it looks to be pretty easy. The guy that put this on just played a downloaded copy from his laptop onto a big screen in a warehouse type room at a local college.

(Edited to remove an unfounded criticism that I was cured of by the film maker, elsewhere. Go see this flick, it's super.)

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”