How to be a pacer

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

How to be a pacer

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm

I volunteered myself to be a pacer this September for a 100 miler. I'm allowed to join at either the 44 mile mark or the 50 mile mark (depending upon how fast the runner is). This would be my first time pacing.

Any hints/tips/suggestions?
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: How to be a pacer

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Since I'm pacing for Sylvie at Sulpher this May in her first 100 miler, I could use the tips too :)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 pm

someone asked me this question recently. I've only paced once, and it wasn't really pacing... more like keeping her company. But my advice to my friend was to ask the person you're pacing. Some people just want company, other people want you to actually hold them to a pace. Some want you to talk to them, someone want you to shut up. Some want you to push them, some don't. It may depend on how they're feeling that day. Hopefully your runner knows in advance what they'll want, but I think it's pretty important to be flexible to whatever their needs are on that day. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:21 am

daddy_runner wrote:I volunteered myself to be a pacer this September for a 100 miler. I'm allowed to join at either the 44 mile mark or the 50 mile mark (depending upon how fast the runner is). This would be my first time pacing.

Any hints/tips/suggestions?

I've never done it, but have gotten stories from numerous people who have (including those who paced Ellie Greenwood to her wins at Western States). I agree... you want to make a plan with your runner in advance, to set expectations. Do you have to keep him/her on a an eating/drinking schedule? Are you there to entertain non-stop or be a companion in the silence?

One tip that I like: Have a code word for when it's time to call it quits. The runner can feel like crap, whine, talk about pain, talk about stopping, and so on. You're there to encourage, accompany, push, bandage up, dismiss complaints... whatever you've agreed upon... unless/until that code word is said. Then you know it really is time to stop. To me, this helps remove any "blame" later. The runner knows that unless he/she says the code word, you're going to stick to the plan, and push your runner to do the same. But if the word is said, then you call it quits. I guess that avoids any "why didn't you push me harder?" or "why did you keep pushing me?!" after the fact.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 am

Great tips there, Heather ... In particular, I really like the "code word" one ... I've only ever been a personal pacer up to a full marathon, so my experience may not apply in the ultra world ...

There is a big difference between pacing a group (i.e. pace bunny), that is more than one person, who's goal is to hold a certain pace and come in at a certain time goal, within a minute on either side, and not too concerned if everyone and/or anyone keeps up and/or drops off the group vs a personal pacer who's goal is to bring the person to the finish line at a time goal (i.e. PB, BQ, etc.), where the pacing will be adjusted accordingly, within the scope of their respective goals and expectations (A, B and C goals), as noted above ...

There were times where the person who I was pacing, was struggling, and by seeing it in their face, there was nothing that I could have done to motivate the person any further than just to be there and be supportive and continue to watch the clock and become more of a time management ... As long as there is still a possibility to achieving one of the set goals, continue to move forward ... In which case, the "code word" is a great idea, amidst all the whining and complaining ... :shifty:

There have also been times where the person just whines alot and complains about being tired, hurting ... there is a difference between being "Hurt" and "Injured", where the latter is physical, while the former could be mental and perceived physcal from fatigue and other issues ... In these cases, motivational cues may work ... In some cases, I have actually made some verbal comments, i.e. "Are you a Princess or a runner?" type of comments, to take the focus off of how the person is feeling and put it towards me, whether it be anger, mad, etc ... to a point where they say to me "You're mean ...", "I hate you ... " :shock: :( :cry: etc., but afterwards, once they hit their goals, would say "I luv you ..." and/or, "Thanks, for pushing me ... " blah, blah, blah ... :shifty:

Though, I think, if possible, you should run with that person prior to the race and know that person, their personalities, their abilities, etc., to give you a better gage on how to handle things on race day ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Some really good advice here..... I really like the "code word" idea as well. I have recruited 3 pacers for Sulphur, and there is NO WAY I want to stop, no matter how often I may say it, as long as I only tired or sore..... so I will come up with a "code word" for them so that there are no guessing games....

I also very much like Andy's suggestion that you run with the racer for some training runs -- the year that Andy paced me to my BQ, we had run NUMEROUS training runs together, and we really knew the drill..... I would tuck in right behind his shoulder, and he would set the pace, and I had full trust in his ability to keep me on pace and reach my goals. When the going got tough on race day, Andy had run with me so much that he knew exactly how much he could push me, and when to just be silent and let me dig deep.....

Being a pacer is a huge responsibility, and you definitely need to understand from the racer what is expected of you -- have fun -- it can also be very rewarding! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Like Andy, I've done all sorts of personalized pacing for road races (particularly for marathon time goals), but I suspect that pacing an ultra is more like helping someone through their first race at a distance. Specifically, pre-race time goals are far less important than keeping your runner safe, somewhat happy, and strategically distracted. In optimal conditions (e.g., daylight and a wide & non-technical trail), this might best be done running side-by-side. If the course is technical or it is dark, you might be better served going a few seconds ahead so that your runner can follow your line (but just make sure you go at an appropriate pace). If the course is narrow and your runner is fresh, it might work best to follow behind. You can likely figure these things out as you go. I'd also make a point of knowing some details of the course, such as the locations of the aid stations (and prior to reaching these, I'd ask the runner for details on what will need to be done there so that when the moment arrives, I can help ensure that nothing is forgotten). Let us know how it goes.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Being a pacer is a very rewarding experience. I have been on both ends of the Spectrum
as a pacer...
http://westgreyrunner.blogspot.ca/2012/09/run-woodstock-pinckney-mi-sept-78-2012.html
and being paced ...
http://westgreyrunner.blogspot.ca/2011/05/sulphur-springs-100-miler-may-2829-2011.html

Most important thing is to make sure that your runner is getting enough Calories, Hydration and Electrolytes. Funny stories , jokes or chatter about anything other then running makes the time pass by. Most of all have fun and enjoy the run :D

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 pm

I thought of you today as I listened to this podcast (though I haven't listened to all of it yet).

Running Stupid CXII (WSER 2012 Crew Report)
Crew report from WSER 100, Crewing for Ellie Greenwood while she breaks Ann Trason's 18 year old record!!
http://runningstupid.net/running-stupid ... rew-report
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Postby trailzen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Favorite pacer quote,Ron Gehl to Laurie McGrath"Puke fast,its a race." In my experience its best to have pacers near the end of a race who will not feel sorry for you at all,its going to hurt but the best pacers just don't care they are there to get you to the finish.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

How to be a pacer

Postby daddy_runner » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 am

West Grey Runner wrote:Most important thing is to make sure that your runner is getting enough Calories, Hydration and Electrolytes. Funny stories , jokes or chatter about anything other then running makes the time pass by. Most of all have fun and enjoy the run :D

I'll have to increase my repertoire of dirty knock knock jokes.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm

A lot of great advice here. The main thing is to focus on what matters most: getting the runner to the finish. The rest are details and you may or may not be able to work them out with your runner in advance.

If you can, ask for what the main goal is (finish under a goal time or under cutoff). It is a great motivator when emotions are running high... Best thing I heard a pacer tell his runner during a tantrum: "it's your race". Ask what other goals the runner has (finish well, avoid injury, compete against someone or for placing). Sometimes pacers end up having to crunch numbers on the go. Depends on how intense your runner is...

Position of the pacer: pacer to run ahead (how far ahead?), pacer to run behind (how far behind?), pacer to alert of obstacles, light the way, etc. People have different running styles and preferences. I personally find it hard to follow someone too close in front of me because I can't see the trail.

Nutrition/hydration/medication: ask what the plan is; when you meet your runner, ask how things have been going in terms on nutrition/hydration/electrolytes. Keep track of their intake, ask about the output. Yep, you can literally kill hours and hours talking about bodily functions. ;) Make sure your runner is eating and drinking regularly, and if you notice a slow down, find out if it's lack of energy/bonking, fatigue/sleepiness or pain. You can address each differently and keep the runner moving forward steadily. Have quick energy handy (if it's toward the end of the race, quick fuel translates to quicker boosts of energy - candy, M&Ms, treats, breath mints), have caffeine handy and find out ahead of time what meds they have taken (how much and when). Depending on your runner, you might be Nurse Daddy_Runner and might need to pay attention to these aspects.

Psychology/Pain tolerance: If they look like cr@p, DO NOT ASK how they are feeling or let your runner ramble on and on about pain. Don't dismiss a bigger injury, but also don't stress it and dwell on it. It's a game killer. When they start to ramble about how this hurts and how that is killing them, try to distract them with stuff about the trail, the route and ask about their race so far. Positive feedback is good... Lie if you have to. ;) No, seriously, don't lie, but don't dwell on the negative. Compliment them on their form, fancy footwork, good uphill walking, fast-hike pace, good pace on a stretch, whatever. It helps tremendously.

Mind games. VERY IMPORTANT!! For example: Must run X minutes/km till the next walk break... Run past X glow sticks before a walk break, etc. A friend of mine has this weird counting game where she counts forward/backwards until the other person yells a number and "forward" or "backward". It kills time...

Pacer do the talking, let the runner save his/her energy. Eat on the walk breaks... beware the chair... etc.

When your runner slows to a walk, try to keep jogging beside or ahead of them, slowly moving forward. It's all about forward motion and the bouncing that sometimes helps switch from a walking pace to a slow running pace.

A nice thing to remind your runner is that nothing that is runnable should be walked. Make good time on easy terrain and try to keep a faster walking pace when the course forces you to walk.

I have done pacing and have been paced a couple of times. I prefer running alone, but the times I had a pacer I made good progress and finished ok (but with trashed body). I've been called names and have had to put up with emotional meltdowns, but I kind of expected it. People fray at the edges after being out there for 20+ hrs. I've dropped f-bombs at my pacer and whined and whined, but had little sympathy, so just tucked in behind them and kept plugging. Don't take things personally... What happens on the trail, stays on the trail.

Last but not least: BE WELL RESTED and FIT for the job. You should not be slowing down your runner. Have good lighting for the nighttime, especially if you run in the front.

Enjoy the experience!
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”