Trails and Ticks

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Trails and Ticks

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm

ha, I just saw that one yesterday and thought of this thread!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Funny you say that when I was running in the NCC trails there's a field that was quite grown over. I wasn't expecting it to be that bad...I could see where the deer were bedding down as well. When I reached the clearing I was furiously looking for ticks...none thankfully. I too thought of this thread.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Strider wrote:From 41 Camping Hacks

Good stuff....will have to try it!
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 pm

I'll be trying this too....C-Moss and I spend quite a bit of time walking on trails and in the woods.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I'll be trying this too....C-Moss and I spend quite a bit of time walking on trails and in the woods.

Since you are in Kingston and you know a few of the members of The Tragically Hip, this immediately came to mind when you take C-Moss for a walk in the woods. Sorry I could not resist the lyrical reference.
Then,found a place it's dark and it's rotted.
It's a cool, sweet kinda-place
where the copters won't spot it
and I destroyed the map, I even thought I forgot it,
however, everyday I'm dumping the body.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Stampie wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:I'll be trying this too....C-Moss and I spend quite a bit of time walking on trails and in the woods.

Since you are in Kingston and you know a few of the members of The Tragically Hip, this immediately came to mind when you take C-Moss for a walk in the woods. Sorry I could not resist the lyrical reference.

I confess:...I know Rob Baker (he's a really nice guy...btw)...but as he knows I pretty much wouldn't know a Hip song if I fell over it. Actually...I think it's one of the reasons Rob likes me...I'm his most "ungroupy" fan :lol: :lol:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:47 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Stampie wrote:

I confess:...I know Rob Baker (he's a really nice guy...btw)...but as he knows I pretty much wouldn't know a Hip song if I fell over it. Actually...I think it's one of the reasons Rob likes me...I'm his most "ungroupy" fan :lol: :lol:

You should check out Paul Langlois' solo album. Very good. He's also recording a new album that's being released in the fall. Rob Baker is playing on it and so is Sara's brother Jeff.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:55 pm

spaff wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
Stampie wrote:

You should check out Paul Langlois' solo album. Very good. He's also recording a new album that's being released in the fall. Rob Baker is playing on it and so is Sara's brother Jeff.

Will do.
My one encounter with Paul was at Chien Noir years ago...I went there after work for a glass of wine with a client. We were standing at the little bar...and I got chatting with Paul.(I had no clue who he was) We started talking about work and I asked him what kind of work he did. He said.."I'm in a local band". I asked him what band...and he said..."a band called The Tragically Hip". I lauged and told him..."umm...that's a bit more than a local band" :lol: :lol:

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:My one encounter with Paul was at Chien Noir years ago...I went there after work for a glass of wine with a client. We were standing at the little bar...and I got chatting with Paul.(I had no clue who he was) We started talking about work and I asked him what kind of work he did. He said.."I'm in a local band". I asked him what band...and he said..."a band called The Tragically Hip". I lauged and told him..."umm...that's a bit more than a local band" :lol: :lol:

It's nice to see you coming out of your shell and starting to converse with strangers. You'll meet more people that way. :roll:

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:43 pm

jgore wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:My one encounter with Paul was at Chien Noir years ago...I went there after work for a glass of wine with a client. We were standing at the little bar...and I got chatting with Paul.(I had no clue who he was) We started talking about work and I asked him what kind of work he did. He said.."I'm in a local band". I asked him what band...and he said..."a band called The Tragically Hip". I lauged and told him..."umm...that's a bit more than a local band" :lol: :lol:

It's nice to see you coming out of your shell and starting to converse with strangers. You'll meet more people that way. :roll:

=))
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:In Manitoba I would choose ticks over mosquitoes (because West Nile is becoming more common here)...

We have had ticks while mountain biking, trail running and just this last weekend while camping...I think we killed over 25 ticks over the course of the weekend. We found another 4 after we got back to the city. I just hold and gently tug until they let go. I haven't had them burrow in to the point where it's too hard to remove them. We do tick checks often...

My DH said that his uncle had a long hat pin in his workshop and every time he found a tick he'd "pin" it...said the pin was full of dead ticks...ugh!

Next time we go camping/biking/running I'm bringing a safety pin so we can just skewer them. They are so hard to kill...

And yes...this is the season!

Good point. My husband's aunt died of West Nile a few years ago and it was not a quick and easy death.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 pm

kab wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:In Manitoba I would choose ticks over mosquitoes (because West Nile is becoming more common here)...

We have had ticks while mountain biking, trail running and just this last weekend while camping...I think we killed over 25 ticks over the course of the weekend. We found another 4 after we got back to the city. I just hold and gently tug until they let go. I haven't had them burrow in to the point where it's too hard to remove them. We do tick checks often...

My DH said that his uncle had a long hat pin in his workshop and every time he found a tick he'd "pin" it...said the pin was full of dead ticks...ugh!

Next time we go camping/biking/running I'm bringing a safety pin so we can just skewer them. They are so hard to kill...

And yes...this is the season!

Good point. My husband's aunt died of West Nile a few years ago and it was not a quick and easy death.

Ouch. And I see you live in Wolseley, so sending good vibes your way.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”