Barkley: World's toughest race

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Barkley: World's toughest race

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Running since 1985, only 12 people have finished The Barkley Marathons. Even entering it is a challenge - the entrance procedure is a secret. Story here.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: Barkley: World's toughest race

Postby fingerboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Interesting..does one even now if they've finished? or is more ethereal than that? (The book part seems like its a new thing).

I picture Steve Carell's version of Get smart.

"You're essay on existentialism was phenomenal"
"I left it blank"

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 pm

A blog of someone who completed that race was posted here at one time. The chief reason for success would seem to be one has to be completely insane. There is a test and then there is just torture.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am

Sounds like fun until the race actually starts.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Barkley is on my bucket list. But I have no delusions of being able to complete it. Even finishing the "fun run" would be awesome.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 am

One of the local ultra runners who organizes a number of races in NS ran the Barkley this year and did really well. I think only one person finished it this year but Jodi managed to finish the "Fun Run" which is quite an accomplishment. His report is a long read but probably useful for anyone planning on doing it. http://trailbugracing.blogspot.ca/ It is at the top of the page at present but will move down as more posts are made.

For any local runners, the Nova Scotia Trail Runners do a fun trail run of about 1-1.5 hours every Thursday night all year long. It's a no-drop run so don't be afraid to come out.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:47 pm

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Ran my long run last Saturday with another Winnipegger who completed one loop of the Barkley before he pulled the plug. His words: 20k of vert was more than enough. I would tend to agree.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Well, the Course won this year. No finishers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ntain-race

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed May 06, 2015 4:19 pm

I just saw the documentary last Sunday as part of the Toronto HotDocs Festival. Not sure where the documentary is screening or is available online, but it's worth tracking down and watching. Barkley: The Race that Eats Its Young.
One of my favourite quotes in the film is when a guy on a runner's crew said that the runner's feet looked like the Passion of the Christ. There were some sections on the course that had some nasty evil thorny bushes... crazy stuff.
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”