ultra sleep study

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
gui

ultra sleep study

Postby gui » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi all,

I’m contacting you to ask for your participation in the “ultramarathon sleep study”. This study deals with sleep both during the ultramarathons but also upstream during regular training and after during recovery. While training and diet in ultra-endurance is now relatively well documented, a whole aspect of performance – i.e. sleep - is often forgotten. Sleep is essential for day-to-day recovery and sleep mismanagement can compromise a race performance even if training has been optimal regarding all other aspects.

The purposes of the study are:
1. To know the sleep habits of ultra-runners in order to characterize it compared to non-athletic population.
2. To examine the management of sleep during daily training, in the days before an ultramarathon, during the race and during recovery after the race.

All you need to do is to fill out the following questionnaire:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fcCbn8 ... I/viewform

Thank you for your help,
Prof Guillaume Millet, University of Calgary.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: ultra sleep study

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Are you talking only about multi-day races? (It's implied by the "sleep during the ultra" comment, but not explicitly stated.)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:42 pm

I just filled out the survey, its pretty extensive. I have worked 3 shifts on a 6 week rotation for the past 28 years so I am quite use to shifting my sleep patterns around. Its quite and advantage when it comes to the 24 , 48 hour as well as the 100 milers. Sleep is the last thing that I fell like doing when I am going long. I am usually so wired after the event when I do get a chance to sleep its tough to achieve it.

gui

Postby gui » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Are you talking only about multi-day races? (It's implied by the "sleep during the ultra" comment, but not explicitly stated.)

Hi,
I'm actually NOT talking about multi-day races, only single-stage ultra.
Thanks
Gui

gui

Postby gui » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:36 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:I just filled out the survey, its pretty extensive. I have worked 3 shifts on a 6 week rotation for the past 28 years so I am quite use to shifting my sleep patterns around. Its quite and advantage when it comes to the 24 , 48 hour as well as the 100 milers. Sleep is the last thing that I fell like doing when I am going long. I am usually so wired after the event when I do get a chance to sleep its tough to achieve it.

Thanks for filling out the survey.
Gui

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Damn. I was hoping the study was about getting "ultra sleep", which is something I'm in desperate need of.

Oh, and form filled!
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”